NM unit 24 muzzy elk

J78

FNG
So I have the lone non resident tag for the muzzle loader hunt October 15-19th this year. I’m very excited to just get out and be in the woods. Never stepped foot in the unit, but my research so far has me focusing on the area surrounding Fort Banyard and so other areas in the Gila national Forrest. However the area southeast of silver city and the fort off of hwy 61. It doesn’t look like traditional elk country on the maps, but I know there are some private ranches in that area that have some great bulls. The public land is limited in that area and access looks difficult, but it can be done. I guess question I have from anyone with knowledge of the area is would it be worth the time and effort to hunt some of that country or just stick with original plan of hunting around fort and national Forrest up north?

dtrkyman

WKR
I have no experience over there, however I will say that where you find elk in much of this state will surprise you! Lots of rain this year so there may be some good grass?
Those Pinion Juniper sage flats have herds of elk, sometimes they get over looked.

May want to spend a day scouting it prior to your hunt if possible.