NM Muzzy Hunt

jimmy33

WKR
Hi Roksliders. My son is in the USAF and drew a muzzy elk hunt in a great unit in southcentral New Mexico. I hunted the area for deer about 20 years ago when I was in the military but haven't been there since. I am shamelessly looking for info about the unit. This will be my son's first chance at shooting a big bull and it will be a fun hunt regardless. Any info you guys feel like sharing would be helpful. PMs only please.

Thanks,

Jim

NMBigGame

FNG
Keep an eye on the current fires around the area. If rain is good this summer those spots will have solid feed.

Southern NM muzzy season is still in prime rut. Use more of an archery strategy than rifle strategy.

Most importantly don't cross into the Res while hunting. The Apache don't mess around with trespassing.

Great hunt.... the rut has been later & later it seems, so they will still be screaming. If you aren't proficient w/ calling, I would practice. Also... practice w/ an open-sight muzzleloader to make sure you know your / his limits. The restriction on open-sights will start to produce a higher age class, so it's only getting better on the muzzy hunts.

Love hunting these areas as I am just a couple hours from them. I try to go as much as I can whether my family or myself draws a tag or friends that just need help. Make sure you have a plan when it comes to packing especially if you are in an area that’s tough and steep. Plenty of nice bulls. Super fun hunt. As some of the other people have said it is pretty much in the peak of the rut still. I helped a friend last year and they were screaming and chasing still. Definitely get familiar with calling if you aren’t as you can call them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk