NM elk general draw question

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering how the draw process works in NM for big game animals. I know in my state of Colorado they have a preference points system. Is NM the same way? or something different?
Thank ya

Just wondering how the draw process works in NM for big game animals. I know in my state of Colorado they have a preference points system. Is NM the same way? or something different?
Thank ya

Completely random. Better odds if you apply with an outfitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
Outfitters get 10% of the tags, non-res 6%....84% for NM residents...a random draw, no points.
New this year, Seniors don’t get encouragement tags (left over cow tags) only youth get encouragement tags. Some of the units are extremely hard to draw, even for residents. However, there are some units that have good elk hunting (sleeper units) that have better odds, not really good odds though. Quite a few units are quality hunt units with a low number of tags handed out. For some units, land owner tags are over the counter but expect the outfitters to snag those up...10k plus hunts.

Oh yeah it’s that time of year again. Best draw system in the west. Accept for the outfitter allocation numbers but that’s another conversation.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Put in for any of the 16's and start getting in shape and packing your bags. Pretty much a guaranteed hunt and kill.

pirogue

WKR
Completely random. Better odds if you apply with an outfitter.

May or May Not be better. NR pool is 6%. Guided pool is 10%, but made up of both NR and R, so don’t assume that NR in the guided pool get a full 10%.

May or May Not be better. NR pool is 6%. Guided pool is 10%, but made up of both NR and R, so don’t assume that NR in the guided pool get a full 10%.

For the most part it is… sure an unit might go against the grain.

dtrkyman

WKR
As a new resident I am 0 for 2 drawing an elk tag. Archery only, go for a couple home run hunts and then a more obtainable tag, guess I need a new strategy!