Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 best reticle option?

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Out of all 3 reticle which would be the best option for hunting? Right now I’m leaning toward the MOAR since I like the illuminated center crosshair and to me it’s the cleanest looking of the 3 but open to suggestions.

sndmn11

WKR
How big is the center crosshair section in person? It looks chunkier than the MOAR on the Nightforce website but I’ve never looked through either.
There's reticle pictures in here

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
There's reticle pictures in here
Much much better looking than the website pics. I’m gonna let it sit a little before I make a decision but since more and more of my guns are switching over to Mil mine as well just go Mil for everything right lol?

JFK

WKR
MOAR is an MOA reticle

Mil-R is a mil reticle.

Pick the reticle based on what you shoot. I have an shv with the moar reticle. Don’t love it…don’t hate it. It works fine. The MIL-R doesn’t look appreciably different, save for the fact that you’d be shooting in mils if you went that direction.

I’ve got an SHV F1 Mil-R. I think it’s their best general purpose hunting rifle reticle. It’s good on lower power for fast shots, I usually carry mine around 5 or 6x

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
All the options are super busy and I didn’t like it. Took it off my fieldcraft and am trying to sell it. It is currently a 2.5lb paperweight.
That’s the reason this thread exists lol. In my opinion Nightforce doesn’t really have the perfect hunting reticle yet they all have pros and cons it seems.

That’s the reason this thread exists lol. In my opinion Nightforce doesn’t really have the perfect hunting reticle yet they all have pros and cons it seems.
For sure. I bought the rifle with the NF on it. Figured it was a NF it was going to be perfect. Pfft. I wear glasses and when I have them on, the reticle is blurry. When I take them off…well…I can’t see my target. lol

I have no problem hunting with non illuminated ffp Mil-R. It's not ideal below about 6-7x, but I've haven't missed a shooting opportunity yet. IMO, this is the best readily available $1000 rifle scope for dialing.

Before I made the switch to ffp/mil, I have a couple of sfp SHVs and think MOAR is great on those.

Reactions: NSI

SDHNTR

WKR
The Mil-R and the MOAR aren’t different enough to fuss over. Buy the one in the increment of measure you prefer. It’s that simple.

If you are looking at the reticle you have it all wrong, look at the target and the bit of the reticle you are using
Have you adjusted the ocular to your eyesight?
It’s my vision problem. Doc said I should consider bi-focals. I take my glasses off to read and do things close up (looking through a scope) but unless I’m able to get an animal on my sight quick I have a hard time finding them without my glasses.

When I go to town next summer, I may consider the bi-focal option.

But for now, it’s the basic recticle for me.

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this in the Semi Custom Tikka thread and no one has responded yet so figured I’d ask here too. Does anyone know if the low UM rings have enough clearance for scope caps on a 50mm objective scope with the factory lite contour barrel?