Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 - Illuminated vs Side Focus

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to choose, what would it be on this particular scope? Illumination or side focus model? All the new ones are illuminated but used ones can still be found in good shape with the side focus. My 2 main scopes that are used for longer range/open terrain type hunts (4-32x50 NX8 and 3.3-18x50 XTRiii) have illumination but I don't seem to use it very much but definitely like the side focus. Is the side focus totally necessary on a smaller scope like this? I'm looking to put a 3-10 SHV on my do-all 7mm-08 that is used for close to mid-range blacktails often times in dark timber but also for the occasional coyote and/or deer out to about 400ish yards. What is more beneficial for those needs? Illumination?

I appreciate any input you guys can offer!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mine is side focus. I had the illuminated one for awhile and while it was nice, I prefer rhe older one with parallax.

OP
Q

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is side focus. I had the illuminated one for awhile and while it was nice, I prefer rhe older one with parallax.
Kinda what I’m leaning towards. I take it the reticle is thick enough to see in low light then?

sndmn11

WKR
Was the side focus only produced in a duplex type reticle? If that's the case, I think I'd choose the illuminated MOAR just so I have some sort of measuring tape.

OP
Q

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Was the side focus only produced in a duplex type reticle? If that's the case, I think I'd choose the illuminated MOAR just so I have some sort of measuring tape.
They offered the MOAR reticle in those models as well. That is the reticle I am after for sure!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kinda what I’m leaning towards. I take it the reticle is thick enough to see in low light then?
Its been fine for me. Good luck finding one though, took me awhile to get my hands on one, I dont think the parallax version has been in production for at least 5-6 years now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It came in the MOAR and the forceplex. I had a MORE version that I traded away, I wish I still had it since they dont make those anymore. The one I have now is the basic forceplex which I love for its intended use.

sndmn11

WKR
It came in the MOAR and the forceplex. I had a MORE version that I traded away, I wish I still had it since they dont make those anymore. The one I have now is the basic forceplex which I love for its intended use.
What is your use?

I don't have one so my perspective may change if I did, but I could see a duplex with adjustable parallax being useful for rimfire stuff, I am not sure where else. I think if I were shooting far enough with a centerfire that parallax is a win, I would also want a reticle I can holdover with.

JFK

WKR
I have this scope with illumination and no parallax adjustment. MOAR reticle. Have shot out to 700 yards and lack of parallax adjustment has not been an issue for me. Conversely, I have used the illumination shooting animals at last light and it’s a nice to have. The MOAR reticle works but not the easiest to pick up on dark brushy backgrounds.

OP
Q

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I have this scope with illumination and no parallax adjustment. MOAR reticle. Have shot out to 700 yards and lack of parallax adjustment has not been an issue for me. Conversely, I have used the illumination shooting animals at last light and it’s a nice to have. The MOAR reticle works but not the easiest to pick up on dark brushy backgrounds.
Good to know, thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What is your use?

I don't have one so my perspective may change if I did, but I could see a duplex with adjustable parallax being useful for rimfire stuff, I am not sure where else. I think if I were shooting far enough with a centerfire that parallax is a win, I would also want a reticle I can holdover with.
I dont know If I need it but the older versions just seemed nicer to me. I just use it as a durable set and forget scope, more specifically, its on my 30-06 sighted in like 2.6" high. I like it though.