Nightforce same torque for different types of rings?

SDHNTR

WKR
I normally use NF Ultralight rings. They have a 4 screw cap. Package says 25 in/lbs, which I have used several times now with good results. I recently bought some NF “standard duty” rings to save some money since they’re only going on a .223. These are a 2 screw cap design with a bigger screw. Packaging still says same 25 in/lbs. This makes no sense. A single, bigger screw should require a higher torque setting to impart the same clamping force. I’m thinking NF just used the same packaging. Anyone used these cheaper Standard Duty rings? What torque value?

Wrench

WKR
Torque values are typically based on yield....could be the yield of the ring, fasteners or scope.

Wapiti1

WKR
Use what Nightforce says. They aren't a company that just does whatever is easy. Not knowing what design criteria they use to make a ring, it's pretty hard to say that their instructions are wrong.

Likely, they are looking for clamping pressure between the ring and scope along with ability of the thread in the ring to hold.

Jeremy

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Likely, they are looking for clamping pressure between the ring and scope along with ability of the thread in the ring to hold.

Jeremy
Exactly. Which is what I’m struggling with. Mathematically I’m having a hard time understanding how 4 small screws at 25” lbs imparts the same clamping force as 2 larger screws at same 25” lbs. Guess I’ll call them Monday for an explanation.

LaHunter

WKR
You could call NF CS and I bet they could clarify the situation for you. I would go with their instructions and not overthink it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I called NF today and the gentleman confirmed the packaging was correct. On a technical level he really couldn’t explain why the torque specs were the same between the two different ring designs, which was what I was looking for, but I’m certainly not going to loose any sleep over it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Are the thread pitches the same?
Good question. I haven’t looked close enough. The ring halves on the Standard Duty are definitely narrower than the Xtreme Duty ones. Seems logical that would impart more clamping force per inch pound and amount of surface area, but just a guess.