V6 3-18x50
Atacr- 4-20x50
NX8 2.5-20x20

Anyone have opinions ?

Glass quality rank imo:
1. ATACR
2. V6
3. NX8
I think the v6 and the ATACR are pretty close with the NX8 lagging.

EDIT* For some reason I read VX6. The Zeiss V6 is a great scope and IMO the best of the 3 mentioned all around.
1. Zeiss V6
2. ATACR
3. NX8

Last edited:

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I have the V6 and it’s incredible. No experience with the other two.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this decision process.

My use will be backpack hunting in CO and stand hunting in TX, so I wanted a scope that had good glass quality, tracked reliably, and was not an anchor.

ATACR: Solid glass quality and great durability, but weight knocked this one out of consideration for me.

NX8: I did not like the short design of the NX8, the eye box seemed to be limited to me on the 2.5-20, and the reticle was not usable on the lower magnification settings on the 4-32 F1 option.

NXS: I really liked the 5.5-22 F2. This one is quite durable, has solid glass quality, but was a little heavier than my ultimate choice.

Zeiss: The V6 3-18 F2 really works for me. The Schott glass quality beat the NXS, it has solid turret tracking, and the weight was exactly what I was looking for while hunting in the backcountry. I was a little concerned to not have an illuminated reticle, but not enough to give up the glass quality. This one is going on my new R Rbos 7mm RM that is currently being built.

archp625

WKR
What are your guys thoughts on the Zeiss V4? I currently have a nx8 2.5-20. I like it but don't love it. I cant put my finger on it. Maybe weight. I have it on a CA Ridgeline and its pretty heavy. What are your thoughts on selling it and getting a couple v4's.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I have a V4 4-16x44 on my 300 prc. I have had no issues with it. It’s not even close to the vx5 in clarity but I think it’s more reliable.

Huntsalot

FNG
Good luck with your decision. I have to make a similar choice soon. I'm most likely going with the nx8. For a rugged hunting scope, my main concern is tracking. If I fall down while hunting, I don't want to be second guessing a shot or have to worry about shooting the scope in again. From my research, Nightforce are bulletproof. Glass quality isn't as important to me.

Overwire

FNG
I’ve got a 4-16x42 ATACr and 3-18 V6 for what it’s worth. The glass on the ATACr is definitely better when compared side by side at the same mag. The difference is very noticeable to me and the ATACr is actually better in low light despite the smaller objective. That said, the V6 glass is still pretty good, practically speaking it will never be a limitation.

I have not had any issues with the V6 but in the back of my mind I don’t completely trust it’s durability and may swap it for another nightforce because of that. The V6 weighs 24oz btw, a couple oz over advertised

slim9300

WKR
Good luck with your decision. I have to make a similar choice soon. I'm most likely going with the nx8. For a rugged hunting scope, my main concern is tracking. If I fall down while hunting, I don't want to be second guessing a shot or have to worry about shooting the scope in again. From my research, Nightforce are bulletproof. Glass quality isn't as important to me.

I think you will be more than happy with the NX8 optically. I bet the Zeiss has a very slight edge based on what I have read (the ATACR should be the clear winner), but my 4-32x50 can truly see perfectly, WELL after last shooting light. I compared it to a 5-40x56 March for a full month before selling the March, and honestly there is no comparison. The NX8 is a better scope than the March in every way. I too wanted a scope with the ability to be hammered and hold its zero, not to mention one that I would never doubt the tracking.

I literally ended up rolling my pack with NF and rifle attached 50’ down a cliff in SE AK a few years back, and the rifle never lost zero despite taking pretty significant damage. It’s a long story but I got cliffed out and had no choice. I was pretty lucky not to die that day. At the same time I gained some serious trust in NF products. This is coming from someone with a **** load of optics. I have easily $20-25k in optics.

I really don’t think you can get a better all around long range hunting scope when failure means the end of the hunt than the 4-32x50 (and now they even have the SFP option for guys that don’t like FFP). I have zero experience with the lower power NX8, and I hear the eyebox is touchy, so you may want to look through one if that’s your model.

Just a few weeks back I shot a 4” group at 1000 yards with my Rbros .300 RUM. It’s not the first time I was able to shoot that well, but I really love this setup. The scope really fits it perfectly. In its first full season of use, the scope has laid down some fine animals also.

9c44cff233a266133218fab53e2040fb.jpg

7904fcb4ed091cbcfa57a3833a605c5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
rolling your rifle down a 50' cliff is definitely a testament to NF toughness. I know they are heavier than others but they're the toughest... as stated, not the clearest glass but you have to choose what's the most important. If you're building a light weight rifle, then you probably want to go with a different scope. Never had any issues with quality scopes losing zero on a hunting trip. Good luck.

slim9300

WKR
rolling your rifle down a 50' cliff is definitely a testament to NF toughness. I know they are heavier than others but they're the toughest... as stated, not the clearest glass but you have to choose what's the most important. If you're building a light weight rifle, then you probably want to go with a different scope. Never had any issues with quality scopes losing zero on a hunting trip. Good luck.

Don’t let anyone ever tell you they aren’t alpha glass while having a 30mm tube. There aren’t that many 30mm options that improve on the NXS and the vast majority have their own downfalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk