NF SHV F1 vs Maven RS1.2

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
****Thread derailment coming***
did you say June for a new Maven 1.2? I certainly hope not. I have NEEDS for 2 additional 1.2’s.

rharbaugh

WKR
Boo, I'd let you play with both if you were near.

The warm fuzzy might be what 6oz of a Nightforce SHV F1 gets you.

I don't believe Maven is at any risk of folding up shop; I think they are very very healthy. I do understand your concern about the product line possibly changing and equate that possibility to the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS lines, or any scope from Nikon. Ask @TheCougar about his recent Bushnell experience.

I have one RS1.2 that I will probably hunt with if I snag a rifle tag, four SHV F1s now, and a 10x SFWA side focus that's on the kid's rimfire, with an additional RS1.2 on loan to @Ucsdryder. With pic rails on all rifles I can switch out a potential problem child in a few minutes and be rezeroed quicker than most oil changes. I genuinely do like the SHVs and really only ended up with the Mavens because the opportunity to review fell in my lap.

With that luxury of being happy scope flush, I don't have your same concerns. If that were weighing on me, the NF is the easy button of "durability" but (subjectively) may not be the most ideal reticle/zero set/weight. The Maven (subjectively) may be more ideal in those areas and that's what I would make my decision on.

If I had a rifle and a scope to procure I might feel safer with the NF and not NEED to worry about my scope in functional fashion. I might at some point get a hankering for lighter or a "better" reticle down the road as a WANT.

I too sent a 6x SWFA back for being very broken and that's how I ended up with the 10x side focus. My brother got restationed here locally and just bought a house off base so now he has his own rifle. He put a 10x side focus SWFA on it knowing he has my stuff as a parachute if it goes wonky.

If I were spending your money, I'd look at if you have an "old reliable" or not (or access to one) that can you have you back in the game within a day and let that make my decision. I THINK the RS1.2 has a really good chance of being described that way in a few years, but it still a rookie.
Thanks @sndmn11. Looks like I vacillated too long and the RS1.2 is out of stock again. I'll grab a Trijicon Tenmile or SHV and shoot it for the spring/summer, then keep it around for that "old reliable" set up.

****Thread derailment coming***
did you say June for a new Maven 1.2? I certainly hope not. I have NEEDS for 2 additional 1.2’s.
That's what the guy said when I called Maven to ask. I don't know how accurate his estimate is but that's all the info I got.

JustSeth

FNG
The Maven RS1.2 is very similar to the SHV 4-14x50 F1. Similar price. Similar magnification. Both available in Mils. Maven is 4 oz lighter, 6mm smaller objective lens, fraction of an inch shorter.

Other than differences in reticles, why is the Maven the scope du jour when it isn’t really markedly different than the NF? Is there another difference I’m missing?
I believe another significant reason is because it passed the drop test: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-rs1-2-2-5-15x44mm-field-eval.338756/#post-3419581

matthewmt

WKR
I've had 2 ten miles and recently a 4-14 shv, they both solid. I think I would ultimately prefer the trijicon but the shv does what it's supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk