NF SHV 4-14x50 vs Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42

Hello!

I need help deciding on glass for my new rifle build. A little background: the use case for this rifle is general purpose western hunting. I hunt spring bear and mountain mule deer. I live in WI and only have access to a range that goes to 500yds, so I don't do super long range stuff. I consider myself to be a proficient, average shooter. Rifle is a 6.5PRC with a Zermatt action, 21" barrel, suppressed, with a AG composites alpine hunter stock.

I want a reliable scope that wont hold me back in hunting scenarios out to 500yds. I think if I had to pick a perfect scope, the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 would be it. However the price and availability are holding me back. Therefore I'm debating between a NF SHV 4-14x50 and a Trijicon Creedo HX 2.5-15x42. I can get them both for around $900 so cost is a toss up. They both seem to pass drop testing just fine. Both are more magnification than I need.

To me it looks like the big difference between two are:
-Trijicon weighs about 8oz less than the NF, which is a big positive for me
-NF has parallax adjustment, I'm not sure how much that will make a difference for me?
-NF is FFP where the Trijicon is SFP. Honestly I think the Trijicon is better as I tent to shoot at lower magnification anyway.
-NF comes in MILs which is my preference but not a deal breaker.
-NF has a bigger objective, will I notice a difference in low light situations between the two?

Help me decide which route to go!

BBob

WKR
NF has parallax adjustment, I'm not sure how much that will make a difference for me?
The Trijicon has parallax adjustment, 10yds to infinity.
NF comes in MILs which is my preference but not a deal breaker.
The non HX is available in mils
I just put the above scope on a newish hunters first rifle. We went that way for all the reasons you seem to want to go that way.
NF is FFP where the Trijicon is SFP. Honestly I think the Trijicon is better as I tent to shoot at lower magnification anyway.
IMO opinion he doesn't need FFP and he'll do just fine with the SFP.
NF has a bigger objective, will I notice a difference in low light situations between the two?
Probably not.

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
I’ve got two of the trjicons on my hunting rifles. Non hx models to get mils. Only reason I did mils was to match my other rifles. Great scopes! Should work great for you want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I have both, the SHV lives on a beater AR/coyote gun that gets dropped and thrown and bounced around, never lost zero or had an issue, the Trijicon is just as nice, BUT it has one of the finest cross hairs i've ever used. Making it a PERFECT precison .22lr scope, since at 50yds I can put the dot into the cneter of the .22 holes. It's incredible

Either will work great for what youre saying, but the fine cross hairs make it hard to aim at BLACK bears. It has a light but i forget about batteries' alot.

buy whichever you get the better deal on!

JFK

WKR
Why not the shv 3-10? Smaller, lighter, still dials just fine. I take mine out to 6-700 yards at the range regularly. SFP and MOA if you care but it’s great little scope.

OP
N
Why not the shv 3-10? Smaller, lighter, still dials just fine. I take mine out to 6-700 yards at the range regularly. SFP and MOA if you care but it’s great little scope.
I've thought about that scope too. I've been weary about the caped dials though

JFK

WKR
I've thought about that scope too. I've been weary about the caped dials though
The capped dials have not held me back in any meaningful way. Typically you spot an animal and if it’s dialing distance I’m unscrewing that cap with one hand while I’m getting into position. Really not a big deal. If you want live dangerously you can even hunt with it uncapped. If they made that 3-10 shv with an exposed locking/zero stopped elevation it would be about perfect.