NF SHV 3-10x42 *and* SWFA 3-15x42- which one on which rifle?

Dobermann

WKR
Personally, I think we need *two* Rokslide specials:

Tikka 223, factory stock but with vertical grip, SWFA 3-9, Sportsmatch TO84 rings, 77 gr TMKs (or 73 gr ELD-M for those who can't get TMKs). Lightweight suppressor that you can get in whatever country you live in.

AND ... the new hotness:

Tikka 6.5 Creed *Superlight*, KRG Bravo stock, Area 419 rail (it's 7075 with a recoil pin), NF Ultralite rings and ... a Minox ZP5 5-25 with THLR reticle (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/minox-zp5-5-25x56mm-thlr-field-evaluation.253283/). 130-ish grain TMKs / 129 gr Hornady SSTs (only because they don't do a 130 gr ELD-M in a factory load). Ditto for suppressor.

While @Formidilosus has been rocking a similar combo, I'm gonna be the first to propose the 6.5 Creed/Bravo/ZP5 THLR official Rokslide canonization. You read it here first, folks!

But, rather than start a dedicated thread devoted to this idea, I think I'll "socialize" it by posting it in every vaguely-related thread, such as this one, just as we've done with the 223/SWFA. Surely, that way, it will eventually find its own momentum and take over the Slide.

Who's with me? Free unicorn and rainbow stickers for all who join up!

🦄
🌈

Last edited:
For my two cents, factor in inflation which basically makes my opinion not worth much, this is what I'd do.
  • NF SHV 3-10x42 on 30-06
  • SWFA 3-15x42 on 25-06
  • SWFA 6x on RSS
  • SWFA 3-9 on somerhing in 6.5 because everyone needs something in cambered 6.5

Tikka 223, factory stock but with vertical grip, SWFA 3-9, Sportsmatch TO84 rings, 77 gr TMKs (or 73 gr ELD-M for those who can't get TMKs). Lightweight suppressor that you can get in whatever country you live in.

AND ... the new hotness:

Tikka 6.5 Creed, KRG Bravo stock, Area 419 rail (it's 7075 with a recoil pin), NF Ultralite rings and ... a Minox ZP5 5-25 with THLR reticle (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/minox-zp5-5-25x56mm-thlr-field-evaluation.253283/). 130-ish grain TMKs / 129 gr Hornady SSTs (only because they don't do a 130 gr ELD-M). Ditto for suppressor.

While @Formidilosus has been rocking a similar combo, I'm gonna be the first to propose the 6.5 Creed/Bravo/ZP5 THLR official Rokslide canonization. You read it here first, folks!

But, rather than start a dedicated thread devoted to this idea, I think I'll "socialize" it by posting it in every vaguely-related thread, such as this one, just as we've done with the 223/SWFA. Surely, that way, it will eventually find its own momentum and take over the Slide.

🦄
🌈
I like this idea. Free stickers are the best part of everything. My safe sticker collection needs the touch of a unicorn and rainbow.

Dobermann

WKR
I like this idea. Free stickers are the best part of everything. My safe sticker collection needs the touch of a unicorn and rainbow.
Rock on!

And now, let's let the thread return to topic, so we don't get sent to the headmaster.

But I did just want to throw it into this one, 'coz I know @fwafwow can handle it ... :)

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
😂 I thought someone might say that, and it’s crossed my mind. But I’m also intrigued by the SWFA 6x and RS Tikka for my next (not needed) rifle.
"Needed" or not the .223 is the answer. It really is fun to shoot.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

AND ... the new hotness:

Tikka 6.5 Creed, KRG Bravo stock, Area 419 rail (it's 7075 with a recoil pin), NF Ultralite rings and ... a Minox ZP5 5-25 with THLR reticle (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/minox-zp5-5-25x56mm-thlr-field-evaluation.253283/). 130-ish grain TMKs / 129 gr Hornady SSTs (only because they don't do a 130 gr ELD-M in a factory load). Ditto for suppressor.

🦄
🌈
I like consistent reticles, so I propose the 6.5 Tikka, KRG, Sportsmatch, and SWFA 5-20 (at 1/2-1/3 price of THLR), and suppressor.
5-20 hasn't been through the official tests yet, but sounds like it has been vetted.

Dobermann

WKR
I like consistent reticles, so I propose the 6.5 Tikka, KRG, Sportsmatch, and SWFA 5-20 (at 1/2-1/3 price of THLR), and suppressor.
5-20 hasn't been through the official tests yet, but sounds like it has been vetted.
I do too ... but have you read (and re-read) @Formidilosus's threads, and watched (and re-watched) @THLR's videos?

That reticle is like your eyes, brain, and body, all feel like they've been made whole again ...

Perhaps, for reticle consistency's sake, we really do need to start lobbying Minox to put the THLR in a 3-9, 3-12, or something (their 3-15 is still pretty beefy, at 920 vs 970 grams / 32.45 oz vs 34.2 oz).

1672356779616.png

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I did catch that one. I'm not to the point I can justify the $ unless I start selling guns and who wants to do that. Sounds like opportunity for another test thread. IE, does the THLR reticle improve hit ratio/ time to first and second round impacts at x yardage.

Dobermann

WKR
I did catch that one. I'm not to the point I can justify the $ unless I start selling guns and who wants to do that. Sounds like opportunity for another test thread. IE, does the THLR reticle improve hit ratio/ time to first and second round impacts at x yardage.
Well ... that's exactly what I did - sold one rifle I didn't really need, and bought TWO ZP5 THLRs.

I'd always been in the "I'll never sell a rifle" camp until I realised I'd rather be really good with one (okay, four) rifles, with scopes I really wanted, rather than just have another one in the safe that I wasn't shooting anyway.

My guess is testing to see if the reticle works for your brain etc, might need to be a personal thing ... but to get a sense of how and why it may well be faster, check out the following two videos by @THLR:

- Especially from 3:09 to 4:02: error budget >> wind brackets >> short-term memory >> System 1 Thinking.

And then this one:

Just ignore Thomas's use of the BDC elevation turret - that's custom to him, and not necessary to run the reticle - just listen to the instruction about wind - and watch [really watch!] the reticle as he shoots. Imagine being behind it, and actually using it.

To be honest, at first it didn't really make sense to me. But watching and re-watching it led to a bit of a lightbulb moment. Not saying you can't create your own brackets in more straightforward Mil-Dot, Mil-Quad, etc reticles - of course you can - but Thomas has just made it that much more intuitive, I think.

Again, apologies to @fwafwow for the thread side-tracking ... but I know he's going to end up here at some point anyway. :)

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I just today read through the entire UM Tikka rings thread, which reminded me that I haven't made much progress on my plans. I need to purchase some of the UM rings for my yet-to-be-purchased Tikkas, but I'm leaning towards what some above recommended - 223 and 6.5. Eventually I will have all of the parts and then just need the rifles.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
For those who have helped - the RS Special is finally taking shape, and after some tinkering and testing for eye relief and eye box (I'm somewhat tall and have a melon head), I went with the 6x on the RSS. I suppose I could push the rear UM ring a bit further forward for better eye box results on the 3-9 or 3-15, but I don't want to face any ejection problems. Surprised that the 6x worked the best for me, as I was expecting either of the others to be better on eye box.

Here's the RSS and the 30-06 (wearing the NF SHV 3-10x42).IMG_0755.jpeg

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
SWFA on 25-06 as it is a longer range cartridge.

SHV on the 30-06 because is has a better magnification range and will probably be more usable on low magnification close in, so when you come up here and hunt browns you will have the right scope on the right rifle.

Edit: Now that I'v advertised my failure to look at the date or read the thread....

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
SWFA on 25-06 as it is a longer range cartridge.
This will almost certainly be the case, as I have stuck the SHV on the 30-06. And the 25-06 has a pic rail, so I've got a bit more flexibility on moving the rings forward for my watermelon head and finicky issues for eye boxes. I just need to decide on 3-9x vs. 3-15x, although I'm waiting on Sako or Tikka to come out with a 6mm CM....
SHV on the 30-06 because is has a better magnification range and will probably be more usable on low magnification close in, so when you come up here and hunt browns you will have the right scope on the right rifle.
Hmm - given my propensity for injury (my wife's claims, somewhat supported by evidence), my bucket list of Alaska (especially for brown bears) is in jeopardy. Thinking about it would, however, let me spend countless hours to search for and analyze the 77gr TMK equivalent for that 30-06. Although the wood stock might not be great for AK, and I'm not sure that barrel has the right twist rate, ... so maybe a new rifle? :cool:
Edit: Now that I'v advertised my failure to look at the date or read the thread....
No worries - I will take (need) all the help I can get.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Hmm - given my propensity for injury (my wife's claims, somewhat supported by evidence), my bucket list of Alaska (especially for brown bears) is in jeopardy. Thinking about it would, however, let me spend countless hours to search for and analyze the 77gr TMK equivalent for that 30-06. Although the wood stock might not be great for AK, and I'm not sure that barrel has the right twist rate, ... so maybe a new rifle? :cool:
Certainly a new rifle, it is always the answer, never a question.