Newfoundland moose hunt

Boston1

FNG
1. Take a positive attitude and above all - have fun!
2. Knee high rubber boots and step exactly where your guide steps.
3. Light weight/ packable rain gear
4. A sit pad comes in handy while glassing
5. Don't forget a range finder. Shots could be 5 yards or as far as you can see. Its hard to judge distance.
6. Be sure to tip your guide 10% of the outfitter charges or $100/ day. Cash in USD works. This is dependent on their service of course.
7. Tip the camp cook too $200-$300 for the whole trip.
8. Don't over pack your clothing or gear- the basics work

Boston1 had some good points.

I’ll add a couple:

1) have realistic expectations of what you want to shoot. Newfoundland has some good moose but when I was coming back last year I spoke with a bunch of hunters and it turns out there is a lot of “meat hunting” up there where they pound the small bulls. Some of the outfitters sell moose hunts that are just that, a moose hunt, and not a hunt where you’re going to get to see countless bulls and choose the biggest.

2) don’t take too much stuff. I used about 1/3 of the clothes and gear I took. Mine was a fly-in hunt that was 6/7 days but it’s a really simple hunt as far as equipment and clothing goes.

3) check the temps but it’s a pretty mild climate. You’ll be on the move and working a good bit walking through the tuckamore so getting cold isn’t much an issue.

4) take a book and download some movies on your phone since it’s more likely than not that you won’t have cell service

5) take a sturdy water bottle. We drank right out of a lake and having a water bottle was key. I had a Nalgene one but ended up using an empty water bottle that I’d already drank. Our
water was clean because of where we were but that may not be the case so doublecheck with the guide about what to drink and what not to.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Not much to add other than wear your rubber boots if you're taking a plane in and bring crocs or ankle boots for around camp... bring raingear and good rubber overpants if you hate being wet... only took 2 changes of clothes myself and plan on not making your connecting flights due to weather delays... Going back for the 3rd year myself..

OP
M

Mdscharf

FNG
Boston1 had some good points.

I’ll add a couple:

1) have realistic expectations of what you want to shoot. Newfoundland has some good moose but when I was coming back last year I spoke with a bunch of hunters and it turns out there is a lot of “meat hunting” up there where they pound the small bulls. Some of the outfitters sell moose hunts that are just that, a moose hunt, and not a hunt where you’re going to get to see countless bulls and choose the biggest.

2) don’t take too much stuff. I used about 1/3 of the clothes and gear I took. Mine was a fly-in hunt that was 6/7 days but it’s a really simple hunt as far as equipment and clothing goes.

3) check the temps but it’s a pretty mild climate. You’ll be on the move and working a good bit walking through the tuckamore so getting cold isn’t much an issue.

4) take a book and download some movies on your phone since it’s more likely than not that you won’t have cell service

5) take a sturdy water bottle. We drank right out of a lake and having a water bottle was key. I had a Nalgene one but ended up using an empty water bottle that I’d already drank. Our
water was clean because of where we were but that may not be the case so doublecheck with the guide about what to drink and what not to.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I picked a good outfitter and they will get me on a nice moose. I can always try and do better next year

There are moose just about anywhere on the island. The key is to be there when the rut is going on, as otherwise they stay in the thickets and are much harder to hunt. If you are hunting outside the rut period, shoot the first decent bull you see, otherwise it's a good chance you go home emptyhanded or with a stubby.

miket

FNG
Going this year for the first time. The outfitter highlighted "bring enough clothes for 5 days". I was initially going to just bring 3 days worth of clothes. I am assuming since we will be hunting from their spike camp, the extra clothes will be necessary?

Going to be a tight squeeze in the luggage with that many clothes plus binoculars etc.

I wanted to pack some in my bowcase, but Canada Air says do not do that.

OP
M

Mdscharf

FNG
Good luck on your hunt. My hunt was a last minute thing. Outfitter had a cancellation and I grabbed it. This year I am hunting out of the lodge. I would like to do a remote hunt next year

miket

FNG
Good luck on your hunt. My hunt was a last minute thing. Outfitter had a cancellation and I grabbed it. This year I am hunting out of the lodge. I would like to do a remote hunt next year
You too! And let us know how it went, please.

CRJR45

WKR
Going this year for the first time. The outfitter highlighted "bring enough clothes for 5 days". I was initially going to just bring 3 days worth of clothes. I am assuming since we will be hunting from their spike camp, the extra clothes will be necessary?

Going to be a tight squeeze in the luggage with that many clothes plus binoculars etc.

I wanted to pack some in my bowcase, but Canada Air says do not do that.
I'm taking a rifle and wonder just what can I pack in the rifle case , anybody ? One rifle in an Apache case , there's room for the range finder , binos , bipod , but is that allowed by Air Canada ?
Just Ammo in a separate packed bag ?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted Newfoundland 2 times. A few recommendations:

Buy really good boots, and super good/tough rain gear. The Lacrosse Alphaburely boots were great for 2 hunts in Newfoundland.

First time I went, I took 3 sets of rain gear (Cabelas Rain Suede, Frogg Toggs, and another type I forgot). All 3 wetted out or got shredded in 1/2 a day each of hunting. I was wet and miserable for 2 days (got a 4pt moose on day 3).

2nd time I went I took a bunch of Kuiu clothing and their Yukon Rain gear. It was night and day different experience. Spend $700 and buy a high quality rain gear set. You will he thankful.

Better to drive than fly. Going through customs on the ground is much easier than in the airport. The ferry fills up early, so it might be too late to book a ferry ride to drive. Driving up there the 2nd time was one of the best experiences I've had.

Have your paperwork in order well in advance. Be organized when you get to the border.

If you are hunting in the Deer Lake area, be wary of the butcher there. Pretty much every outfitter near Deer lake uses that butcher, and the cut and package quality was HORRIBLE. I will never again hunt there and have my moose cut and shipped back.

For the 2nd trip, my Uncle and packed the Moose quarters back and butchered the 2 moose ourselves. Highly recommend this route, or bring the meat back to have it butchered here by a shop you trust.

My profile pic os of my moose from my 2nd hunt (2022). My uncle and I have one more hunt booked in 2026, and that will probably be his last.

If you wamt to read about our 2022 unt, here's the thread:

Thread '2022 Newfoundland Moose Hunt' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2022-newfoundland-moose-hunt.281516/

Good luck, and have fun!

Boston1

FNG
I'm taking a rifle and wonder just what can I pack in the rifle case , anybody ? One rifle in an Apache case , there's room for the range finder , binos , bipod , but is that allowed by Air Canada ?
Just Ammo in a separate packed bag ?
I've flown a lot with firearms-- but not internationally. TSA will usually inspect the firearm/ case upon check in. For my own peace of mind I do not pack anything else in the rifle case other than the firearm. Ammo goes in a separate hard case (not just cardboard packaging) and inside regular luggage. The binocs/ range finder/ camera -- I always carry those in a day pack on the plane with me. Yes, it's a pain but they're expensive and I don't have to worry about thieves or the baggage checkers bouncing them off the pavement.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^ same and never an issue just be sure you get the TSA approved padlocks for your rifle case!!

Hunted Newfoundland 2 times. A few recommendations:

Buy really good boots, and super good/tough rain gear. The Lacrosse Alphaburely boots were great for 2 hunts in Newfoundland.

First time I went, I took 3 sets of rain gear (Cabelas Rain Suede, Frogg Toggs, and another type I forgot). All 3 wetted out or got shredded in 1/2 a day each of hunting. I was wet and miserable for 2 days (got a 4pt moose on day 3).

2nd time I went I took a bunch of Kuiu clothing and their Yukon Rain gear. It was night and day different experience. Spend $700 and buy a high quality rain gear set. You will he thankful.

Better to drive than fly. Going through customs on the ground is much easier than in the airport. The ferry fills up early, so it might be too late to book a ferry ride to drive. Driving up there the 2nd time was one of the best experiences I've had.

Have your paperwork in order well in advance. Be organized when you get to the border.

If you are hunting in the Deer Lake area, be wary of the butcher there. Pretty much every outfitter near Deer lake uses that butcher, and the cut and package quality was HORRIBLE. I will never again hunt there and have my moose cut and shipped back.

For the 2nd trip, my Uncle and packed the Moose quarters back and butchered the 2 moose ourselves. Highly recommend this route, or bring the meat back to have it butchered here by a shop you trust.

My profile pic os of my moose from my 2nd hunt (2022). My uncle and I have one more hunt booked in 2026, and that will probably be his last.

If you wamt to read about our 2022 unt, here's the thread:

Thread '2022 Newfoundland Moose Hunt' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2022-newfoundland-moose-hunt.281516/

Good luck, and have fun!
any issues bringing back unprocessed meat? I suppose proof of sex still attached? deboned in camp? I'm booking through an outfitter with fly-in camps. I've read a few stories where guys who use processors end up with 75-100 pounds less than expected.

keller

WKR
The guides and processors in newfoundland are not concerned about meat quality or quantity. They do a little bit less than the minimum. The further you shoot from camp the less meat you get I was told. Sent it to processor came back full of dirt and hair. With cuts and labeling I've never seen. It's a mystery when you take a package from freezer . Do your own processing if possible