newbie ML Hunter with a few questions

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,
I bought a knight UL 50 Cal in March before they jacked the price to outragous... I finally got out to shoot it yesterday. I bought the traditions smackdown 305 grain bullet and used two 50 grain pellets of triple 7 (I'm too cheap to go blackhorn 209). Gun shot great, very comfortable recoil.

my question -
Is 305 grain too heavy for only 2 pellets of Triple 7? I don't know what the velocity is but looking online I am estimating it around 1600 FPS at the barrel. I am in Washington, and dont expect to shoot beyond 200 yards. I haven't gotten to dialing in accuracy yet but I really like the light recoil of 2 pellets. My number one concern is accuracy and ideally minimal bullet drop at 200 yards.

thanks for any input from experience ML hunters!

I think you’re in the ballpark with that velocity estimate according to published data (link below). No, a 305 gr bullet isn’t too much for two pellets. Personally, I like my bullets going closer to 2000 fps though if I’m planning to shoot to 200 yards. I’m shooting a 600 gr bullet with 100 gr 777 (yes, substantial recoil) this year for moose but don’t expect shots much past 100 yards.