Newbie looking for info

Trott2478

FNG
I'm new hear and looking for any help I can get. I am going on my first elk hunt this fall, we will be going rifle deer and elk from October 15-22. I am pretty sure we will be going to the salmon zone , mostly unit 21a maybe 21 but was hopeing for any info that you can share with me, thank you

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
So after talking to the regional biologist looks like we might be going to unit 28 instead, does anyone have any UFO on this unit?

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Anyone hunt around salmon idaho? How was your hunt, did u see a decent number of elk, deer?

Steve

FNG
Last year was my first year heading out to Idaho for elk. We hunted the Middle Fork region in zone 26 (DIY). Didn't see much sign and no elk until the last night right before dark when I was able to shoot a decent 5x5. We will be heading back this year to the same area with a little more confidence and hopefully similar results. As for the Salmon region I know people here from PA who head out to unit 21A for two weeks every year. They are repeatedly successful and have gotten at least two P&Y bulls over the last 15 years or so they have been going. very few years have they not gotten one and a few years 3 out of 4 have gotten them going DIY in September (Archery). I've never been up that way so I can't give much advice other than I know people who have success up there.

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Been training, prolly not hard enough, thanks for everyone's input so far

Mcfar

FNG
I grew up in Salmon and guided and outfitted in units 28 & 27 for a number of years. I mentored a youth hunter last fall there, after not hunting there for a long time, I live in MT now, and I think the wolves have hit the area pretty hard. The hunting isn't what it once was. If you are rifle hunting I'd say 28 is probably better, with more access and it's a big area. 21A is ok, but access is more limited. Like the gentleman before said, it's tough country, especially without horses and mules to get something out, and he's right in the elk are where you find them. The wolves keep them moving a lot, so if you spot them in an opening one evening, pretty good chance they won't be there by morning. Plan on long hard days if you want to be successful and once you knock one down the real work begins! Good luck!

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
I guess I just need to get out there and do it, but October is so far away and I have much to learn

I guess I just need to get out there and do it, but October is so far away and I have much to learn

I didn't mean to sound flippant with my response. However, it's pretty easy to overthink this. Having hunted 28, I can tell you that physical conditioning is paramount if you hope to be successful. Mental conditioning is even more paramount.

By mid October, the bulls will be in their post rut pattern and you will be looking for single or smaller groups of bulls that are largely removed from the cow groups. Not always, but normally. They will seek out areas where they are isolated, and by nature these areas are tough to get to. Plan on spending a lot of time glassing, and if there is snow glassing for tracks and feeding craters. These areas could be anywhere there is feed, water, and security.

Plan on staying out ALL day. I shot my biggest bull at 2:00 in the afternoon. Plus if you are hunting right there is no way you'll be walking back to camp during the day.

ElkNut1

WKR
I've been over that way to the units & yes it can be very steep country to hunt. Every Idaho elk unit holds elk, some more than others it's up to us hunters to find them. These guys are being straight with you, you will get out of it what you put into it. Rifle hunting elk is not a gimme, there will be lots of climbing & burning of boot leather & lungs. Don't think for a second because you chose rifle that it's a lot easier because it's every bit as tough to locate & take a bull. When hunting that country I wouldn't hesitate to cover 5-10 miles a day & do tons of glassing from vantage points where I could see long distances with both binos & a spotting scope. Being at these vantage points in the early mornings & evenings takes a real dedication & perseverance, nothing automatic about it & generally you will be miles from your rig or camp.

Have the physical conditioning & mental mindset realizing it's both tough & fun! (grin) With an elk on the ground the rewards are great! Days of a tired body & nearly wanting to throw the towel in can all change in a matter of seconds as the moment of truth happens! Stay positive, you can do it!

ElkNut1

OP
T

Trott2478

FNG
Thanks for the input, elk but you have been a great help, I talked to you a few times now and am definitely excited. I hope this won't be a once In a lifetime hunt, and really hope I get to see some elk. I love deer hunting but I would get a huge rush over just seeing an elk I've got a hunch .