Newbie looking for hunting buddy/mentor

Tracyguy

FNG
Hello members, I have no parents or relatives who could teach mentor me to guns so that I can teach my son and pass the tradition. Very much appreciate if any one willing to mentor or take me with their hunt . I have pre 64 M70 270and new Beretta BRX1 30.06. Looking forward a cheerful leader. Best and thank uou

jayhawk

WKR
These first post "where do I hunt" question guys are starting to go to great lengths to find a spot. ;)

But seriously, welcome to the board. Where are you located? I would suggest contacting your local game & fish chapter as they might have some good insight for your area.

OP
T

Tracyguy

FNG
Located in Tracy, San Joaquin County but location doesn’t matter if I have to travel to find a dedicated mentor. Thanks for the warm welcome..

Beckjhong

WKR
I think you’ll have better luck planning a hunt and finding someone that will come with you. No one wants to show you their hunting spots. Check with local game and fish and local conservation groups for new hunter programs.

gabenzeke

WKR
Nowhere near your part of the country, but Im betting there are California specific hunting forums where you might find a larger audience of people local to you. Best of luck.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

tony

WKR
These pages are packed full of information on firearm, shooting and hunting.
I had no one to hunt or shoot with way back when. I bought a rifle, (.270) cheap tasco scope, and burned through a lot of ammo and sore shoulders learning how the gun worked, how to sight my scope in. Talking and going out with "experienced" old timers.
A typical day was eat breakfast at the smelliest greasy diner in town. Smoke a pack of cigarettes on the way to the woods, (not me). Wear jeans, an old flannel shirt, and a orange ball cap. Tromp through the woods, cough up a lung on the way. Smoke on the way. "sit here kid! and wait!" Kill a deer.
That was my training! LoL

Your best bet is going to be networking- guy at work, friend of a friend, church, whatever. I know our state game and fish also hosts some hunt and learn type events. I would probably start by going to a hunters safety course (In person)- it’s vitally important information to know, and may help you meet some people and connect with a game and fish official.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Like I mentioned, check out rod and gun clubs. Get to know some of the guys and see if you can get an invite on a small game hunt and go from there.

Very few people are going to take you on a western hunt for your first experience. Those of us who have have taken newbies along have learned that your expensive and time consuming vacation usually gets ruined by someone else’s lack of experience, poor judgement, and lack of preparedness when it comes to both gear and physical fitness.

That’s part of the reason hunters have a bit of a bad reputation as a group when it comes to welcoming newbies… Good spots are hard to come by, and can quickly get ruined by too many people. More the merrier does not apply to hunting.

Like others have said, your best bet is to join a club or get involved with organizations that have new hunter programs.

However, plenty of people more or less get started on their own, myself included. Hunting isn’t rocket science, and with the power of the internet, you can be fairly schooled up in no time.

I’d take an in person hunter ed course, start doing some learning on the internet/YouTube and go from there.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I also did not learn from family and have learned the most from YouTube videos. Guides like cliff gray have good content for those willing to learn.
I also recommend finding some friends and learning organically what works for you. There's no perfect way for most things. As long as it works, you do you.

Read books. Talk to other hunters when out on the hunt. Watch videos. I re-read (skim) some of my hunting books before each season. First to get me pumped, and then second, to remind me of some basic skills which we all sometimes forget.

Some states have hunt planners.

And there is a place on rokslide to find hunting partner.

Patience and perseverance are key to successful hunting trip (notice I didn’t say actually dropping an animal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WBrim

WKR
It’s a lot to learn for sure. There are so many online sources to read and watch, you can get a huge foundation of knowledge. Then, when you do meet someone you can learn from, you have a lot less ground to cover. Learn by doing, with a bit of background knowledge. Best of luck to you!