Newbie here looking for insight next year.

bduke7645

FNG
Looking for some insight on a newbie getting into "big game hunting" never been out west to hunt anything other than upland birds. I was on a recent trip to Arizona with my father quail hunting (were bird dog people) as we crest over a small drainage and found a small pocket with a group of antelope in it, as we watched them for a good amount of time my father turned to me a said I think I would like to hunt them one day. I am now on the hunt to learn how the drawing system work preferably for the state of Wyoming this will be a DIY hunt.

So, are there other states better then Wyoming? I have read that the eastside of the state of Wyoming seems easier to be drawn but there is a lot less public ground. How many years does it take to be drawn or can you get a landowner tag (if that is a thing) We are defiantly not looking to set the world on fire or kill some kind of record goat more about the experience and memory if we get lucky that would be nice lol.

Any input would be nice and even some suggestions on where some nice Inns are or Airbnb and a good steak house.

Thanks!!

OP
B

bduke7645

FNG
Sweet! so after looking at that there are defiantly some units where you can be drawn with 0 preference points and seem to have a decent chance at seem some action.

Thanks!

npm352

WKR
Looking for some insight on a newbie getting into "big game hunting" never been out west to hunt anything other than upland birds. I was on a recent trip to Arizona with my father quail hunting (were bird dog people) as we crest over a small drainage and found a small pocket with a group of antelope in it, as we watched them for a good amount of time my father turned to me a said I think I would like to hunt them one day. I am now on the hunt to learn how the drawing system work preferably for the state of Wyoming this will be a DIY hunt.

So, are there other states better then Wyoming? I have read that the eastside of the state of Wyoming seems easier to be drawn but there is a lot less public ground. How many years does it take to be drawn or can you get a landowner tag (if that is a thing) We are defiantly not looking to set the world on fire or kill some kind of record goat more about the experience and memory if we get lucky that would be nice lol.

Any input would be nice and even some suggestions on where some nice Inns are or Airbnb and a good steak house.

Thanks!!
Antelope are a great animal to start with. They live in the open and are visible all day.

Wyoming typically has the most opportunity, but huge tag cuts have happened. Look for antelope habitat on public land and see if you can draw. They allocate some tags to a random draw, but most are given based on preference points.

Best of luck.

EdP

WKR
I don't want to discourage you but the pronghorn situation in Wy is discouraging compared with just a few years ago. It is not impossible to draw a tag with no points, but it isn't likely even in the less popular units with limited public land. Between covid and recent tag quota reductions due to winter kill, the situation has changed significantly. For example, I applied and drew a type 1 tag in both 2018 and 2019 with no points. Odds in the random draw were about 85% in those years for that unit. In 2020 the odds were less than 7% and I did not get a tag.

You need to spend some time (prob at least 12 hours or so) studying the Wy F&G website to get a basic understanding of license types, the application process, public land and access considerations, herd conditions, and drawing odds. It is a lot to take in but all the necessary info is on the website, if sometimes a bit difficult to find.

My advice is to put in the work, the same work most of us have already put in, and come back relatively informed. You will still have questions, but ask questions that show you have done the work and you will get help. In general, folks on this site don't appreciate newbies who want handed to them what we worked hard to learn, but are helpful to those who show they also are willing to put in the work. The application deadline is May 31st so you have time to figure things out. When you apply has no impact on your odds of getting a tag.

As encouragement I will tell you that, as an easterner, pronghorn hunting is a heck of a lot of fun so it is worth the work.

OP
B

bduke7645

FNG
Thanks, definitely wasn’t asking for anyone’s spot or anything like that. Pretty much was just asking about draw odds and how it works.

Thanks for the reply !

I tried antelope hunting for the first time in 2023. It is easy to draw a DOE tag in units with a lot a private land with no points.

If you do, unlike as with bucks, the unit's biologist may be willing to provide you with contact info for some ranchers who'd be willing to let you hunt a DOE on their land for free b/c the Doe's eat their plants and there is not big $$$$ in selling access to Doe's.

The Doe season, at least in some units lasts a whole month, two weeks beyond the buck season, so you could hunt a Doe after the buck/trophy hunters have either filled their tags or given up.

Rich M

WKR
You will need to get at least a couple of points.

Yes, do your research and start down the path. WY G&F websites has a planner map and data spreadsheets you'll want to look at.

EdP

WKR
Assuming you are a non-res, here is a bit on the draw:

You apply for specific units with 1st, 2nd and 3rd, choices and type of license. If you have PPs you will be placed initially in that draw, and if unsuccessful, then in the random. If you draw 1st choice in either you have used your PPs and they are reset to 0. If you draw 2nd or 3rd choice you keep your PPs.

There are 2 categories of draw, regular and special. All that is required to be "special" is a much bigger check, even bigger in 2024 than 2023 due to price increases passed in 2023 that take effect in 2024.

Harvest quotas are assigned to the individual units and each of the draw types get a specified percent of the quota.

If planning a hunt with others you can do a "party" application. The party draws as an individual with regard to PPs, which are averaged. That's why you see listings in the odds reports for odds between whole numbers of PPs.

Pay attention to the types of licenses and the available public land. Pay special attention to the access to public land. There is a lot of public land that is not accessible without crossing private. Trespassing is taken very seriously in Wy.

The odds reports from previous years are a very helpful indicator of future draw odds, but quota changes
due to winter kill can invalidate any conclusion you might reach. The quotas for each year are approved in April and are available. With the May 31 deadline, you can check if the quota for a unit has changed significantly before applying.

Some counties have "Walk-in Areas." These are private land parcels accessible to the public via agreement between the state and the landowner. Species that can be hunted and dates they are open vary. Some don't open until opening day of hunting season so check if you plan to do pre-season scouting.

That should be enough to get you started and help avoid pitfalls that are easy to miss. The rest of what you need is on the website. Dig in and good luck.

Rich M

WKR
Dont worry about 2nd or 3rd draws. If you look at the data sheets, most units sell out 1st draw. If there are leftover or 2nd draw tags, something very wrong w unit.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming's Hunt Planner is relatively easy to navigate. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting
Antelope are a blast to hunt and very delicious table fair if taken care of properly in the field. Doe tags are not point dependant, but rather all random.

James K

FNG
I'm actually in the same boat as you and will be following this closely. It seems there are ways to draw with no preference points. I am a NR and have 2 points saved up myself.

OP
B

bduke7645

FNG
I'm actually in the same boat as you and will be following this closely. It seems there are ways to draw with no preference points. I am a NR and have 2 points saved up myself.
Yah I’m definitely going to apply after the “data “ comes out and will definitely buy some presence points late summer for some other game.

Where are you coming from James ? Maybe we could meet up and hunt ?

James K

FNG
Yah I’m definitely going to apply after the “data “ comes out and will definitely buy some presence points late summer for some other game.

Where are you coming from James ? Maybe we could meet up and hunt ?

Almost as far as you can possibly be. NJ, unfortunately.

I have some points saved up. Now I just need to figure out how the whole system works.

OP
B

bduke7645

FNG
Almost as far as you can possibly be. NJ, unfortunately.

I have some points saved up. Now I just need to figure out how the whole system works.
Yah I’m in Maryland. We go out there a couple times a year to bird hunt it’s a short 20-30 hour drive……

Dzag23

FNG
I'm a newbie with 3 points for elk/deer/antelope. I have learned a ton about the draw and point system by watching GoHunt and Fresh Tracks channels on you tube. Definitely spend some time watching those videos, Randy Newberg is a wealth of knowledge. Especially focus on the ones addressing winter kill from last year and all of the changes happening with pricing and tag availability.

Being new, I don't get a chance to offer any worthwhile advice often. I really think this will be helpful for you though. Good luck