newbie duck hunter, give me advice on a super basic set of decoys

Smallie

WKR
Hunting small water/marshes mimic the group size of ducks you commonly see on the water. If that’s 3-6 ducks throw that many decoys out. It may look unnatural having even a full dozen out there if birds are not commonly in groups that large. Especially earlier in the season. I will increase the set late season when birds are in bigger groups.

Motion on the water is key. Jerk rig is great starting out but I like the pulsators and quiver decoys that create ripples. I use the Real Decoy based out of Arkansas. They throw ripples out to 8-10 feet. From the air birds can see that motion from very far away. I walk in with only 3 of those and a pulsator on small marshes/ponds and do well with very little calling. Enjoy your new addiction and dwindling bank account haha

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
So far I think 4 or 5 people have mentioned duck hunting being super $$$$. What are people buying that is so expensive? Not looking to buy more of anything, just wondering what people are referring to?

Kurts86

WKR
Duck hunting is expensive when you start adding motor boats, private duck property maintenance and plantings or equipping yourself to hunt tons of different scenarios. For instance having an enclosed trailer full of goose decoys, a 20’ boat for lakes and large rivers and then smaller layout boats for the in between adds up quickly. If you are managing a duck property there is cost in herbicide, planting, infrastructure improvements and then the cost of pumps and wells to manage water levels. It’s not uncommon for a share in a duck club to cost $5k-$10k per hunter in expenses on the low end if you are planting corn and then flooding it.

Hunting small water with small spreads is not particularly expensive if you just stick to that.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Fair. I already own a quiver of boats living near a major lake and fishing 5 months of the year, so hadnt considered that. No lease in my future. Counting my blessings.

IMG_4699.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
So far I think 4 or 5 people have mentioned duck hunting being super $$$$. What are people buying that is so expensive? Not looking to buy more of anything, just wondering what people are referring to?
Up north here we run big spreads depending on time of year. 300 - 500 goose decoys mix of full bodies and silos. Then you really want to get crazy go snow goose hunting . I have 50 dozen socks and an e caller and that’s rookie numbers. I have a dog I train year round run hunt tests. About the only thing cheap for me is finding places to hunt. Put about 10000 miles on scouting last fall and spring snow goose. If you go balls deep and get hooked it makes backpack hunting a cheap hobby

Also water depth is important for Texas rig length. I hunt some areas that drop off fairly quick and need decently long cords to get ducks out there.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider

Everything I buy is used or on really good sale. I've traded more decoys in a year than some use in a lifetime. I build my own e-callers. I've cut, sewed, and painted 100 dozen snow goose socks since 2011. I've flipped $25 garage sale FB mallards for $200. I've found decoys for 75% off on amazon. Buy/sell/trade on FB and forums.

Here's a quick inventory off the top of my head...fresh on my brain since we just inventoried our storage unit and enclosed trailer for insurance rider.
45 dozen snow goose socks
2 rotary machines plus 16 sillosock fliers
6 two speaker e-callers, 6 lithium batteries
2 four speaker e-callers, 2 lithium batteries
15 dozen canada silhouettes
4 dozen canada sleeper shells
3 dozen canada floaters
4 dozen duck floaters, 4 dozen 42" 4 oz texas rigs, 4 dozen 10' 8 oz rigs
5 dozen mallard socks
8 mojo spinners, extra remotes, extra batteries, custom poles for frozen ground
More decoy bags than I can keep track of
3 layout blinds, 3 snow covers
1 A-frame blind
2 back boards
4 ghilli blankets - 2 stubble, 2 dirt
1 beavertail duck boat, trolling motor, lithium battery, lights, extra seat
10-15 acrylic & custom wood duck and goose calls plus a cigar box full of guts and reeds
lightweight breathable waders
insulated neoprene waders
muck boots
boot driers with extensions for waders
2 pairs cabelas dry fowl bibs
4 pairs hunting pants - sitka grinder, sitka dakota, sitka gradient
lightweight & midweight layers (sitka), hoodies, softshells, insulated jackets (UA, Cabelas, Banded, Sitka), waterproof outer shells (banded, Sitka)
blind bags, back packs, hand warmers, face masks, call lanyards, choke tubes, blind chairs, heaters, blackstone for cooking breakfasts in the a-frame
cordless hedge trimmer for cutting grass/brush for blinds (absolute game changer and time saver if you use A-frame blinds or run multiple layout blinds along fence lines, rock piles, etc.)
On-X annual subscription
DU, Delta memberships, banquet tickets, raffles, fund raisers
Cases upon cases of shotgun shells

And my main hunting buddy has the trailer, side x side UTV, 50 dozen snow goose full bodies, 8 dozen canada fullbodies, 4 dozen duck floaters, more blinds, rotaries, e-callers, spinners, and more time to scout than I do.

And now I'm dog shopping. :)

KurtR

WKR
Everything I buy is used or on really good sale. I've traded more decoys in a year than some use in a lifetime. I build my own e-callers. I've cut, sewed, and painted 100 dozen snow goose socks since 2011. I've flipped $25 garage sale FB mallards for $200. I've found decoys for 75% off on amazon. Buy/sell/trade on FB and forums.

Here's a quick inventory off the top of my head...fresh on my brain since we just inventoried our storage unit and enclosed trailer for insurance rider.
45 dozen snow goose socks
2 rotary machines plus 16 sillosock fliers
6 two speaker e-callers, 6 lithium batteries
2 four speaker e-callers, 2 lithium batteries
15 dozen canada silhouettes
4 dozen canada sleeper shells
3 dozen canada floaters
4 dozen duck floaters, 4 dozen 42" 4 oz texas rigs, 4 dozen 10' 8 oz rigs
5 dozen mallard socks
8 mojo spinners, extra remotes, extra batteries, custom poles for frozen ground
More decoy bags than I can keep track of
3 layout blinds, 3 snow covers
1 A-frame blind
2 back boards
4 ghilli blankets - 2 stubble, 2 dirt
1 beavertail duck boat, trolling motor, lithium battery, lights, extra seat
10-15 acrylic & custom wood duck and goose calls plus a cigar box full of guts and reeds
lightweight breathable waders
insulated neoprene waders
muck boots
boot driers with extensions for waders
2 pairs cabelas dry fowl bibs
4 pairs hunting pants - sitka grinder, sitka dakota, sitka gradient
lightweight & midweight layers (sitka), hoodies, softshells, insulated jackets (UA, Cabelas, Banded, Sitka), waterproof outer shells (banded, Sitka)
blind bags, back packs, hand warmers, face masks, call lanyards, choke tubes, blind chairs, heaters, blackstone for cooking breakfasts in the a-frame
cordless hedge trimmer for cutting grass/brush for blinds (absolute game changer and time saver if you use A-frame blinds or run multiple layout blinds along fence lines, rock piles, etc.)
On-X annual subscription
DU, Delta memberships, banquet tickets, raffles, fund raisers
Cases upon cases of shotgun shells

And my main hunting buddy has the trailer, side x side UTV, 50 dozen snow goose full bodies, 8 dozen canada fullbodies, 4 dozen duck floaters, more blinds, rotaries, e-callers, spinners, and more time to scout than I do.

And now I'm dog shopping. :)
Dont know if they are all spoken for but FR Labs in Britton Sd has a littler of grhrch x grhrch pups on the ground now. I have ran with both parents and they nice dogs

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Dont know if they are all spoken for but FR Labs in Britton Sd has a littler of grhrch x grhrch pups on the ground now. I have ran with both parents and they nice dogs

I follow them; definitely on my short list for labs if that's the breed I decide to go with. Jess and I are from the same town/area. Known her since we were kids. Her and her husband definitely have a great dog program.

WCB

WKR
Most of those are people that buy too much crap and many lean on it for success. But in general decoys, boats, trailers would be the #1 costs. Oh and dumb dumbs thinking you need $3000 matching uniforms with their buddies.

A guy we hunt with has probably 12 doz FB Canadas 3 Dozen FB specks, 6dozen sleeper canada shells, 30 dozen floater ducks between puddle ducks and divers, and more robo ducks, fliers, shakers, scooters than a fricken outfitter would need. On top of that he has probably 6 layout blinds, 2 A frames, 7 different waterfowl shotguns and the list goes on. Now add in all the Shitka he has and do dads... Every single person he hunts with has their own gear, decoys, blinds etc. Then he complains about how much it costs.

I have 1 layout blind (2) backboards, 40ish diver decoys, 3 dozen puddle decoys, some $30 calls, and 2 shotguns for waterfowl. I consistently kill more birds than him and his buddies and even when I hunt with them we have never even set out 1/2 the decoys he has. I have bout everything used. ZERO reason imo to buy any decoys new...same with boats or even blinds. There is enough out there for sale to safe a few hundred if not thousands of dollars.

Now call me a hypocrite but if we roll in my spring snow goose set up...my gear gets expensive...30 dozen fullbodies ($4800 used)...60dozen socks (about $2,200, and 2 rotary machines ($200 a piece). Then a trailer to pull them (luckily I didn't buy that) and 4 wheeler (I use it for a bunch of other stuff so I don't attribute that cost to waterfowl specifically). I don' complain about cost or pretend you NEED all that to kill Snow Geese.

Our best shoot this year came from about 40 dozen socks ($1200 used if you look), 2 homemade ecallers (about $100 a piece) and 10 sillosock fliers ($200). Laid out in cheap white suits. No trailer or wheeler needed just a couple trips back and forth from the truck.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Ok, I see where you guys are sitting. Luckily I dont have that gene.
(Says the guy with 2 canoes, 2 kayaks, a aluminum fishing boat and a bass boat) 🤣

Luckily a few of the above will do fine for ducks.