Newbee Looking for a budget pack that can handle some serious weight

KeithO

FNG
Let me start by saying thank you to all of the members on here that I have taken a wealth of info from before I joined and look forward to soliciting a lot more! On to my issue, I am looking for a moderately priced pack that has some substantial volume and can handle 40+ pounds on a several mile trek. I have looked at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Bridger, as well as the 2200 from Badlands, but I am currently looking at the Alps Commander X + Pack. From reputation alone, it is hard to pick the Alps or Badlands over the Mystery Ranch, but does it really handle weight better and carry more comfortably? Thanks!

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, all the packs mentioned can carry 40 plus pounds no problem but some packs work for others and some don’t. My advice would be to buy as many packs as you can, load it up with weight, and go for a hike. Then pick the one that is the most comfortable and then return the rest. I used a Metcalf for 2 years of suffering before I finally had enough. The classifieds also always have a ton of good deals on packs so keep your eye out too.

Nevvon

FNG
If you can find a store many of them will weigh a pack down and let you carry around the store. Rei started carrying some mystery ranch and they have a real good return policy. I recomend trying them out with a load in store where yiu can to help narrow it down. For me I have used all buy thr Alps packs. I found that kuiu worked best.for me. I have one frame and three packs of varying sizes that go eith it. They can carry heavy weight and i ultimatley saved money and space by having them modular.

Fatcamp

WKR
40# is not serious weight. 100# is and that is when you will be happy you took the time to assemble a solid pack.

Maybe you don't need it, idk. With time and patience a Kifaru tactical frame and a simple bag can be assemble pretty cheap. That's what I did after suffering through weaker options.

Let me start by saying thank you to all of the members on here that I have taken a wealth of info from before I joined and look forward to soliciting a lot more! On to my issue, I am looking for a moderately priced pack that has some substantial volume and can handle 40+ pounds on a several mile trek. I have looked at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Bridger, as well as the 2200 from Badlands, but I am currently looking at the Alps Commander X + Pack. From reputation alone, it is hard to pick the Alps or Badlands over the Mystery Ranch, but does it really handle weight better and carry more comfortably? Thanks!
I would look for a used exo k2, but if buying new, horn hunter full curl would be my suggestion, it handles weight well for the price

OP
KeithO

KeithO

FNG
I think that I stated the wrong weight when I posted, because all of you are absolutely right, 40lbs is not heavy and my day pack can handle that quite comfortably. What I have found, and I am sure that it has been brought up plenty of times, is that when I am loaded up with 60+ pounds and I have a couple of miles of quite unfriendly terrain to cover, I want a pack that is going to allow me to stay more upright and not have too slouch at the waist to account for the weight and isn't going to leave my shoulders all scuffed up from taking the pack on and off at different intervals.

mc1119

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran MR and kifaru. Hands down look into kifaru. It’s the buy once cry once.

However, if only going to be 40lbs as a heavy load, buy a used pack in the classifieds of any that you mentioned and you won’t be disappointed.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party, but was just in a used gear shop that had good condition Dana Designs Bridgers and Terraplanes for less than $80. So if you're on a budget, consider shopping used.

87TT

WKR
+ 2 on a used EXO K2. I have 50# in mine for daily 3 mile walks up and down hills with mine. I don't even use my poles unless packing out an animal with 75# plus.

TaperPin

WKR
Late to the party, but was just in a used gear shop that had good condition Dana Designs Bridgers and Terraplanes for less than $80. So if you're on a budget, consider shopping used.
I agree - a Terraplane for under $100 has to be the best value of any premium pack - these are pretty old, but they were such a good design the best packs of today aren’t much better. $250 paid for a Terraplane in 1990 is the same as $600 today.

esoreny

FNG
On a budget, I'd recommend waiting for a sale and grab a mystery ranch Sawtooth.

dan33

FNG
Ebay can get you some real gems man. I got a brand new kifaru nomad with a camp bag, pouches and guide lid for $475. Definitely worth a look.

signing off

Lil-Rokslider
If you sign up with Alps email, they usually send a promo code. The Elite pack could be had for a reasonable price with the code. The frame could be a tad short for using the load lifters so if you are over 5'10" it might not work out well. But it's pretty good budget choice.

I had the badlands 2200 for a couple of years, and it was a fine pack for the 40 lb weight range you listed. recently I bought an exo k4 and the difference in comfort on back and shoulders with heavy loads (80-100lbs) was night and day.