New truck?

Blueman75

FNG
First of all, I don’t NEED a new truck I just WANT a new truck. I currently own a 2015 Ram 3500 megacab diesel. Truck has been trouble free and only has 64k miles on it. But recently a check engine light keeps popping up and I know diesels can be quite spendy to work on.

Currently looking at the Ram Rebel 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Only thing I tow is a 3500-4000lb boat. So, don’t really need a diesel anymore.

Anyone have experience with the Ram 2500 Rebel with the 6.4 Hemi or the Power Wagon?

OP
B

Blueman75

FNG
Throwing a few grand here and there at maintaining good pickup will likely be "cheaper" than buying a new pickup.

What code is your engine light throwing?

That being said, this IS rokslide, and I feel that I'm obligated to encourage you to buy that cool new thing you want. ;)
Ha I’m sure I’ll get all kinds of encouragement!

Taking the truck in tomorrow to find out what the deal is. Ram has a new recall on 2013-18’s for the DEF system. Hoping this is the issue.

I have a 2015 3500 with 152k on it. They can be expensive to fix. So far I have replaced several sensors ranging from
800 - 1500, a turbo, the dpf and scr. And now I get way less mpg than when new. Good luck. I would dump mine but a newish truck cost more than I’m ready to fork out.

7mm-08

WKR
Depends on where you live. I know of a great shop in southeast Idaho, but lots of places won’t do it. It’ll take some poking around for sure.
And not publishing the shop's name on the Internet. State and federal regulators can and do cause significant problems for folks who are messing with emissions systems as a commercial endeavor.

OP
B

Blueman75

FNG
After doing a bit more research, I’m leaning to the GMC 1500 at4 with the baby Duramax. Truck checks a lot of boxes for me.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After doing a bit more research, I’m leaning to the GMC 1500 at4 with the baby Duramax. Truck checks a lot of boxes for me.
Gas is way better IMO unless you actually need a diesel for heavy towing.

The small diesel engines have the same lousy emission systems as the big trucks.

TSAMP

WKR
Gas is way better IMO unless you actually need a diesel for heavy towing.

The small diesel engines have the same lousy emission systems as the big trucks.
Assuming you drive 15k miles a year and get 15mpg in a gas and 25mpg in the diesel youll save 500 bucks per year. Assuming diesel is 50 cents a gal more expensive.

I thought the baby diesel sounded great until I did the math.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you drive 15k miles a year and get 15mpg in a gas and 25mpg in the diesel youll save 500 bucks per year. Assuming diesel is 50 cents a gal more expensive.

Not to mention a regular F150 will get 20+ mpg and my F150 Raptor gets 17+.

There is no way I would buy a small diesel unless I planned to completely delete it which as mentioned, is illegal.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider

That math works with a gas price of $2/gal. At higher gas prices the savings is greater, but the concept is still valid, i.e. you're not saving that much money and you're doing so at a higher initial purchase price. Other factors such as power and range is what makes diesel attractive to me.

Back to the original question, I'd look to fix your current truck. Being almost 10 years old, you'll be shocked how little $ it's worth on resale yet has a ton of useful life left, so you've already taken most of the depreciation. Depending on how reliable it is after the repair could be a different story.

Last edited:
Delete it and don’t look back. I know of tons of deleted 6.7s and they run extremely well once the emmison bs is taken care of. If you’re dead set on leaving it on contact calibrated power for emissions on tuning. Really wakes the trucks up compared to stock.

Fowl Play

WKR
Also in the delete camp. You have a great truck. Delete it and upgrade whatever else you need to on it to make it feel “new”. If it’s electronics you can get a huge aftermarket head unit, or even use an iPad. Top of the line speakers, leather seats, etc. You could make that truck feel “like new” for under $5-6k and have a paid off truck and lots more money to go hunting 😁

If you do go the new route, like everyone else says go gas (unless towing heavy). The emissions stuff has killed the usefulness of small diesels. The baby diesel should be pushing over 40mpg. Emissions kills it. It will take 10+ years for your fuel savings to pay for the premium you will pay for the diesel engine.

dan33

FNG
I dont Recommend going from a HD truck to a half ton. My company went from 2500 duramaxes to f150s and imo it is worth the extra money for the 3/4 ton. The bed space sucks in comparison and it is not nearly as durable.
After doing a bit more research, I’m leaning to the GMC 1500 at4 with the baby Duramax. Truck checks a lot of boxes for me