New to Trad

Jmort1754

WKR
Some of the guys we spend time with all swear by traditional archery.

What resources are there to read and figure out about what type of bow would best fit me, and just learning the ropes?

Look up the origional The Push video. Start there. The Push has lots of good info especially there early stuff.

I also reccomend The Masters of the Barebow series. Lots of good info there.

Finally Tom Clums Total Archery Mechanics. I believe all his stuff is available behind a pay wall at the Push.

wytx

WKR
Find a bow shop with some bows to shoot, to find out what fits your shooting style.

dlee56

WKR
Agreed with the above, only way to find a traditional bow you like is to shoot a bunch and when you know you know. Ultimate poundage and specs are secondary to how it feels in your hand and how it feels in the draw, different strokes for different folks.

Find a bow shop with some bows to shoot, to find out what fits your shooting style.
My only caution with this is that most bow shops today know nothing about Traditional Archery. There are a few hidden gems out there that are knowledgeable but not many.

@Jmort1754 do you happen to be within driving distance of RMS gear in Denver? If so they will have knowledge staff and lots of bows to try.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
My only caution with this is that most bow shops today know nothing about Traditional Archery. There are a few hidden gems out there that are knowledgeable but not many.

@Jmort1754 do you happen to be within driving distance of RMS gear in Denver? If so they will have knowledge staff and lots of bows to try.
No I'm in western pa.

About 40 minutes from where the push started.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider

Found the origional Push video. He has tons of content so start here and watch as much free stuff from him first.
great video thank you for the link. I am on year 3 of trad hunting a couple times ( still take the compound bc lack of faith in stick bow) and have called a dog twice for two deer that were never recovered. Not sure if its target panic, or I just suck but its getting pretty old wasting good opportunities under 15-20 yard shots.

Tilzbow

WKR
Some of the guys we spend time with all swear by traditional archery.

What resources are there to read and figure out about what type of bow would best fit me, and just learning the ropes?

Good and proper form is the most important thing to learn from the start, otherwise it’ll take years to unwind bad habits. Aiming methods are secondary in my opinion but that‘s where most of the focus of books and videos is and has been. Unfortunately, I cant recommend good resources regarding form but knowing @nevadabugle and how well he shoots and what he went through to get consistently great the series he recommended is likely very good,

Good and proper form is the most important thing to learn from the start, otherwise it’ll take years to unwind bad habits. Aiming methods are secondary in my opinion but that‘s where most of the focus of books and videos is and has been. Unfortunately, I cant recommend good resources regarding form but knowing @nevadabugle and how well he shoots and what he went through to get consistently great the series he recommended is likely very good,
Thanks for the kind words @Tilzbow . I had to get good to keep up with you and the West Side crew!

kdsulliv

FNG
Find the "Masters of the Barebow" series - they are priceless, I think you can find several volumes together on Ebay.
Check out Tradgang.com and search their forums - they run very deep and long. If you have questions as you come up, they've all been asked and answered on the "Powow" forum.
Also - get a cheap / simple production bow, good-enough arrows, and shoot it do death for a year - it will take time wo work out the kinks and learn to shoot well. Don't spend too much at first or you may be frustrated.
Start light - 40lbs @ your draw will kill a whitetail
Practice often - shoot in your yard!
Keep hunting ranges CLOSE if you're only comfortable at 10 yards just hunt at 10 yards until you can work up, and...
Don't get discouraged! It takes work

Solitude

WKR
You nodded towards advice, if you have shots in the 15-20yd rang and end up scratching your head wondering what went wrong, you may want to check out Joel Turner if you are solid with your calm backyard groups.
If your backyard groups are sporadic, then I totally agree with the gentleman above on finding a form coach. You are in a great location with top notch traditional archery resources….reach out they will help!