New to squirrels

sram9102

WKR
Probably depends when you plan on hinting them. I hate hunting them early season but know a lot of people like shotgunning them. If you want to rifle hunt them i highly recommend a suppressor. They rarely acknowledge a missed shot suppressed with subs. My savage mk-II fvsr has killed a boatload of tree rats.

BBob

WKR
In early life I shotgunned them but I now prefer a little CZ452 or a scoped Ruger MKII. I have CZ’s in 22LR, 17HMR and 17HM2. My CZ Varmint in 22LR is my favorite of the rifles for squirrels.

17HMR, headshots only. Ive gotten a couple of neckshots that have left the shoulder meat destroyed. I recently picked up for FMJ rounds to try and see if i have less meat loss.

wytx

WKR
They have great eyesight, go slow or sit.
Shotgun is go to and the easiest for taking squirrels, .22 or so rifle makes it a little more challenging.
Head shots save meat.

Have fun, I miss hunting squirrels.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
Marlin model 60 with a Crossman 4x32 air rifle scope. I put it on because it was the only free scope I had at the time and I'm actually hard pressed to switch now.

Shotguning can be fun, if that route I like to use a light 20ga.
Most of the time I like to use my ruger american .22lr with a Redfield tac22 2-7x33
Don't forget a gamestrap or vest to carry those tree rats back to the truck. I use an old turkey vest. Nice when you stop and sit on a spot for a bit.
Good luck and happy hunting!

jayhawk

WKR
ruger 10/22, and sometimes a 20ga topper. Killed a lot of squirrels with that gun.

Dave_S

FNG
Mossberg 500 12ga. More than you need, for sure, but it's inherited (i.e. free) and versatile.

safeskies

FNG
I use a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with integrally suppressed barrel and subsonic rounds. Whisper quiet in a small package. My new favorite is a Daystate air rifle for similar reasons, but I can additionally use it in areas that have firearm restrictions (closer to cities and such).

17HMR, headshots only. Ive gotten a couple of neckshots that have left the shoulder meat destroyed. I recently picked up for FMJ rounds to try and see if i have less meat loss.
My favorite squirrel load is 17 HMR FMJ. No more meat loss than a 22 HP, just as effective and much further range.

The game points aren’t bad either, but I still try and stick to head shots with those. That said it’s nice to have those loaded in case a coyote/raccoon/fox shows up.