New to Reloading - book suggestions?

Yeticall

FNG
Brand new to reloading, anyone have a book suggestion (or any literature) that may help me get started? I am new to the site as well and need my 10 posts so I apologize if this thread has recently been discussed. Any advise is appreciated.

BL

JFK

WKR
The Hornady book is worth owning. You get some of the basics of reloading plus a huge amount of published load data. For how to, look at CREDIBLE sources on YouTube. Not billybobs basement channel. But it is useful to see the process.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
The Hornady book is worth owning. You get some of the basics of reloading plus a huge amount of published load data. For how to, look at CREDIBLE sources on YouTube. Not billybobs basement channel. But it is useful to see the process.
Any recommendations on YouTube channels?

Cheaha

FNG
On YT - Fortune Cookie 45, Johnny's Reloading Bench, Ultimate Reloader.

Unfortunately some of the reloading content is now verboten on YT, so you may have to find some alternative video sites.

rayporter

WKR
get one of these for the caliber you are loading. it has a ton of info from nearly every source.
s-l1600.jpg

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
get one of these for the caliber you are loading. it has a ton of info from nearly every source.
s-l1600.jpg

These are great. I’m glad you posted it. I thought maybe I was being a bit old fashioned thinking of the one I have.

My recommendation is to keep it basic at the start. Read your diet setup directions, use a good scale, use a powder that is highly recommended for your caliber, do one step at a time.

I bet YouTube has some great stuff. I liked the recommendation of seeing videos from reputable sources. I learned to reload from a guy who took it very seriously and showed me the importance of paying attention to what you are doing (that can be a tricky one for a teenager).

Reloading is a really fulfilling activity, especially if you enjoy tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
Lyman, lee, hornady, nosler, Sierra all have good manuals. I use the hornady app often too.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on The ABC’s of Reloading. Though there are seemingly many newer editions than the one I have. Also like others said, the Hornady, Lyman, Lee reloading manuals are great resources.

Lot’s of good Internet forums to ask questions and garner some great info along with YouTube channels mentioned above. You can never read too much or know too much when it comes to reloading.

TaperPin

WKR
There’s nothing wrong with older manuals as well, unless you’re looking for newer powders or the bullets you’re shooting are heavier than were common a decade or two ago.

I like the older Sierra, Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, Lyman, Asquare, Speer, and a few more I can’t think of. Each one is a little different. The older manuals had drop tables, while many of the new manuals don’t. On eBay you can probably get three old manuals for the price of one new one. Nosler #4 for $12 is a steal out of the mid 90s. Hornady #4 is two parts again out of the mid 90s. Speer #12 is 90s. Sierra 3rd edition 90s.

Last edited:

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Hornady, and a couple old Speer ones (the 70s is old to my perspective) I also have the abc’s of reloading. I like the Hornady best but am regularly referencing Hodgdons reloading website, nosler has good data online as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluetick

FNG
I found great info at front of Nosler reloading manual. Third edition manual is what I have but I’m sure more modern manuals will have similar information