New to Reloading 300 BLK Advice

treillw

WKR
Gonna start reloading 300 BLK subs. Any advice? Mainly wondering what the best projectiles are for plinking and maybe shooting a deer? What is the best way to go about getting brass? I probably want around 500 pieces.

Thanks!

Axlrod

WKR
For brass, I use reformed lake city 5.56 from gun broker or Midway and new Starline brass. Haven't/won't hunt with it, so no idea what to use for bullets.

1. Brass: I bought some once fired 300BLK factory brass from an individual. Tons of places to buy lake city converted brass, but the once fired headstamped stuff was affordable second hand. It was mixed headstamp, but this is not a precision gun, so mixed was fine by me.

2. Projectiles: Easy button for subs is any match style 200+ grain jacketed bullet. I have used the 208 ELD-M and it works well for subs, not the cheapest, but not over the top either. For a little more work and a little less cost buy some 200 grain cast and powder coated bullets. You need a neck expander die and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I don't find the cost savings on the cast bullets to be worth the 2 additional dies and 2 additional steps. But maybe the cast bullets are cheap enough now to justify. For the volume I shoot in subs I'll stick with jacketed bullets for 35-45 cents each.

2.5 Expending Subs: The most available expanding subsonic projectile is the Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullet. I have not gotten to try them on animals yet, but this fall I will certainly try. They get mixed reviews but are still considered the most cost effective bullet designed to expand as sub speeds. For more reliable expansion looks to the all copper options, but they cost double or more. Keep shots on game inside 100yd due to rainbow trajectory.

3. Powder, depend on local availability. CFE-BLK is plentiful and gassy, so if functions my AR-15 pistol in 300BLK. about 11.5gr for a 16" barrel and 12.0 grain in a pistol barrel is a good start, but work down on your gun for safety. If you are using bolt action or single shot, then use a faster powder with lower charge weight to save a few DB's. Lil'Gun is a common one.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with previous post. You can use 300AAC specific brass or chopped and reformed LC 5.56 brass. Harbor freight 2" chop saw, then size and trim to spec. ALWAYS anneal. I get more loads out of 300 brass when annealed. Otherwise, the case mouths crack within about 3 loadings.

After owning 300AAC in 8" and 16" configurations for about a decade and loading for the caliber, I would never try to take a deer with a subsonic round. To be honest, I played with subs a little bit in the beginning, it was cool to be quiet with a can, but that caliber only really serves some purpose with supersonic ammunition. I use the 150gr FMJ for plinking, the 110gr Varmageddon (or Midway blem 110gr ballistic tip AKA V-Max) for critters, and 110 Barnes Tac-TX bullets for any hunting/self-defense ammo. The latter load works really well on hogs. Performance wise, the 110's over a near max load is about the best performance you're going to get from the 300.

I hope this helps. WIN 296 and H110 are going to be your friends with this caliber.