New to Hunting Packs - Kifaru Reckoning Frames?

NeonBrown

FNG
New to the forum - Discovered this place as I was evaluating packs, and lo and behold, I just purchased my first pack after much consideration. I've tried stuff from Mystery Ranch - mostly smaller packs for EDC and light use. But for a while now I've known I wanted a larger pack, and have had my eye on the Reckoning for quite a while. Decided I'd jump during the sale they're running.

My question is more so regarding frames. Never purchased a framed pack before so bare with me. I don't expect my load to exceed 60-75lbs at most times, and have been considering the Duplex Lite. Before I pull the trigger, just wanted to see if folks out there knew of anything else that's better suited, of if I ought to go in another direction.

I'm 6'2" 205, and have decided upon the 26"L, Medium Belt, and probably Long straps (?).

[Keeping an eye on the classifieds, too]

A lot of it is going to be personal preference and it will be difficult to properly decide what you like without trying them all. Some people on here seem to be in a position where they try plenty of packs and one just stands out as suiting them the best, and others (like me) have used a few different ones and found them all to be pretty good.

If you're dead set on Kifaru you're likely going to have to choose between the Ark frame or Duplex Lite frame.

The Reckoning bag is good and I like mine, but I believe they may be getting discontinued and Kifaru looks to be heading in a slightly different direction. This is one of the reasons why Reckonings have been on sale here and there for the last year or two.

I've also owned an Exo 5500 and abused the absolute heck out of it and it was a fantastic pack. I only bought the Kifaru because I gave the Exo to my wife and had a chance to buy a 2000 bag for it as well.

The good thing in this space is if you buy a good frame and find the first pack you buy doesn't suit, you can sell the pack and buy another one for the same frame.

Some people think the Reckoning is a little too 'strappy'. I tend to agree, but at the same time, I like how many straps it has as it really helps cinch down a heavy load.

OP
N

NeonBrown

FNG
I too figured they'd be discontinued, and since I've been eying them for a while I figured better to go ahead and snag one as it seems like once a color is gone, it's not coming back now.

I went with the coyote, much like yourself. And the straps to me just means more versatility in load sizes.

Once it arrives next week I'll make a decision. Or maybe I'll lurk in the classifieds for a month or so and see if one pops up