New to elk hunting ??

I'm looking to go on a elk hunt in 2-3 years. I'm looking to do a DIY in Colorado probably but I plan on putting in for other areas also. I'm looking for any tips on anything especially gear. I have a list made up that I can send to anyone in a email if they'd like. PM if so..any help will be appreciated. I started a thread on AT and was told to come here for more and better answers.

Derrick

Jon Boy

WKR
Some of the best advice I've received on elk hunting is keep moving till you find them, then hunt them. You can be hunting 1-2 day old sign thats every where and never see an elk. There herd animals and concentrate into the same areas. Theres always exceptions but I find this to be mostly true.

In regards to archery hunting, wait for the perfect opportunity and then capitalize. I won't bomb in on an elk unless the wind is right and hes hot. If his bugles are getting farther and farther away, your doing something wrong and pushing him away. Leave him alone until hes riled up or you can ambush him.

True to move until you find them then be patient until you can capitalize on a stalk so you don't scare them out of the country. Best of luck hunting.

OP
Huntin Hard
I was told to move until you find elk then hunt until you push them out or kill one.

HOT ROD

WKR
Search old threads on this site. a wealth of great info here. On just about every thing. As far as gear. Bye the best U can afford. Weather it new or used... This site has the best classified going.. Bye once cry once....

IMHO, don't wait 2-3 years. You can read a lot of books and internet threads in three years, but it doesn't compare to three days where you're actually in elk country on foot. Get outside even if you're not carrying an elk tag and a weapon, even if you don't have all the gear you might want. Hiking elk country, backpacking, camping in elk country, will impart valuable lessons.

Beastmode

WKR
IMHO, don't wait 2-3 years. You can read a lot of books and internet threads in three years, but it doesn't compare to three days where you're actually in elk country on foot. Get outside even if you're not carrying an elk tag and a weapon, even if you don't have all the gear you might want. Hiking elk country, backpacking, camping in elk country, will impart valuable lessons.

Good advise. Get out there as much as you can and just learn elk and the country they live in.

OP
Huntin Hard

With time and money are the factor. In about 3 years we will be good to go. Yeah we both wish we could go next year but money and time aren't available. That's why I want to read as much as possible before I go.

With time and money are the factor. In about 3 years we will be good to go. Yeah we both wish we could go next year but money and time aren't available. That's why I want to read as much as possible before I go.

Derrick, makes sense.

When I was getting started as an elk hunter one of my favorite books was by Jim Zimbo, Elk Hunting. There are more advanced hunting books out there, but Zumbo has a nice way of talking about different tactics and methods.

Happy New Year!

OP
Huntin Hard
Derrick, makes sense.

When I was getting started as an elk hunter one of my favorite books was by Jim Zimbo, Elk Hunting. There are more advanced hunting books out there, but Zumbo has a nice way of talking about different tactics and methods.

Happy New Year!

Sounds good. I will look into that book. I know people say get Cameron Hanes book also which I plan on doing.

Happy New Year to you too!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are many, many ways to be successful at hunting elk, but also endless variables to this activity. In the end number of days afield in country that holds elk in that area when you are hunting will often determine your opportunity for success. Be in good shape, have an idea of where the elk will be, practice with your weapon, maximize your time afield ie don't see camp in daylight, become proficient with calls, if archery hunting always be aware of the wind, stay positive, and have an idea of what to do when you are successful and this tiny animal is on the ground:) Good luck.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
There are many, many ways to be successful at hunting elk, but also endless variables to this activity. In the end number of days afield in country that holds elk in that area when you are hunting will often determine your opportunity for success. Be in good shape, have an idea of where the elk will be, practice with your weapon, maximize your time afield ie don't see camp in daylight, become proficient with calls, if archery hunting always be aware of the wind, stay positive, and have an idea of what to do when you are successful and this tiny animal is on the ground:) Good luck.

Good stuff right here

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Or just pay Ross to tag along with him! He's the Wapiti's worst nightmare:)

OP
Huntin Hard
Would bringing someone with us give us a better chance of killing if they've done it before ? I don't want it to hurt us since we would have 3 people in the field instead of 2 but the more I think of it 2 rookies or 2 rookies and 1 experienced hunter would be better odds lol.

What is your going rate Ross?

Its a good idea to go with someone that is exoerienced in elk hunting but not required.
My partner and I went last year for the first time and seen elk every day. We also had a couple of chances. We studied, studied and studied some more all year.
We all want to harvest an animal but we were pretty proud of our accomplishments for being in the elk woods for the first time.

This is excellent advice. I went on my first DIY backpack elk hunt last year and my only regret is not doing it years sooner! It was always on my list of things to do, but kept pushing it off and now I'm so unbelievably addicted to the high country that it's what I eat, sleep, breath everyday with anticipation of getting back there next year! Glad I recently found this site as well! Lots of good info.

PMcGee

WKR
This is excellent advice. I went on my first DIY backpack elk hunt last year and my only regret is not doing it years sooner! It was always on my list of things to do, but kept pushing it off and now I'm so unbelievably addicted to the high country that it's what I eat, sleep, breath everyday with anticipation of getting back there next year! Glad I recently found this site as well! Lots of good info.

Same here. I went on my first trip last season hoping to go every year now.

AZ Vince

WKR

Great advice.
Be prepared for varying weather conditions and be in the best shape of your life. Me, I'm hoping to draw a late season tag. I'm hoping for a massive winter snowstorm to push the elk to where I want to hunt. Good luck and get after it!

OP
Huntin Hard
Anyone else ?? Anyone willing to take 2 rookies under their belt and teach them ??

a GREAT new up to date book for newbies or anyone for that matter is Public Land Elk Hunting by CO. author Matthew Dworak. this book touches on everything ,and is a fun read...a realy good book.
best of luck to ya!