New to bugle tubes

Gagster7

Lil-Rokslider
I am just learning to use mouth calls for cow elk sounds. I am going Dyi next year and would like to pick up a bugle tube, what is the easiest for a beginner.

I know this is preference but don’t even know where to start or what type.

stump06

WKR
I made one out of a wiffle ball bat and it works really well. The guys I go with usually dont call a lot so I didn't wanna drop $30-$40 on a tube I might not even use. I cut it down and use some spray adhesive to attach some Camo fabric. Its lightweight, compact and hard to beat for $5.
If I were buying one I would get the phelps or rocky mountain

ElkNut1

WKR
I have both the Unleashed larger Bugle & the New Renegade Bugle, both from Phelps GameCalls. I'm using the Renegade this year, it has very good tones. I'm using the Gray Amp mostly alongside it!

ElKNut/Paul

hobbes

WKR
This really comes down to personal preference. I don't like a giant tube because I find them to be a pain to carry around, but I also don't like the tiny compact tubes. I prefer a balance between size and sound. I don't like any flex hose in it. Solid/rigid construction allows me to hold my bow in one hand and tube in another, pointing it wherever I want.

I bought and used one of the newer rocky mountain game calls tubes last year and like it. I've got one of their earlier tubes that is a beast with flexible hose that I never liked to carry. Before last season, I used an Elknut Chuckler (original) that I liked, but I misplaced it somehow. I've got an original primos tube somewhere that is simple to blow, but has such a distinguishable sound that I don't use it. I've not tried Phelps, but suspect it's a good call (I like several of their reeds). The Phelps that I've seen is bigger than I want to carry. They probably make a more reasonable size tube as well.

More nonsense on calling:

The reality is that a vast majority of folks sound like hell with any bugle tube. A small number are decent callers. And a really small number are good. Then you have elite guys that are better than some elk. A lot of folks assume they are a notch higher than they really are. I assume that I'm decent, so I may sound like hell. :)
The worst, is a guy that assumes his two notches above where he really is.

If you can't learn to use a diaphragm worth a dang, you'll not make it to decent regardless of which tube you buy. That is a lot of folks problem, they suck with a diaphragm, so they go the primos route and can be recognized almost without fail. I'd worry more about learning to use the diaphragm call than I would which tube.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
I'm new to diaphragms and tubes myself. While I don't have a ton of experience, what I have learned is that trying a bunch of different diaphragms from different producers is huge. I could barely made a noise that didn't sound like a dying duck with a few different ones, or the fit was horrendous for my mouth. However, finding one's that fit well has been amazing. For me personally, the Phelp's diaphragms fit the best and have been the easiest for me to replicate elk sounds.

I also purchased the Unleashed Phelps tube and found it be easy to use as a beginner.

Elk97

WKR
Whichever tube you get I would recommend also buying the Elknut app for your phone. It has all the bugles and cow sounds and when to use them. You can also record your calls and then listen to them. Also has extensive information on different hunting situations.

Jackson

FNG
Get the rigid baseball-bat tube style. The flexible ones seem like a good idea, until you use them. No bass tones, they're noisy in brush, and they are harder to cram in and out of a pack than something rigid. Counterintuitive, but...

OP
G

Gagster7

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you,
This really comes down to personal preference. I don't like a giant tube because I find them to be a pain to carry around, but I also don't like the tiny compact tubes. I prefer a balance between size and sound. I don't like any flex hose in it. Solid/rigid construction allows me to hold my bow in one hand and tube in another, pointing it wherever I want.

I bought and used one of the newer rocky mountain game calls tubes last year and like it. I've got one of their earlier tubes that is a beast with flexible hose that I never liked to carry. Before last season, I used an Elknut Chuckler (original) that I liked, but I misplaced it somehow. I've got an original primos tube somewhere that is simple to blow, but has such a distinguishable sound that I don't use it. I've not tried Phelps, but suspect it's a good call (I like several of their reeds). The Phelps that I've seen is bigger than I want to carry. They probably make a more reasonable size tube as well.

More nonsense on calling:

The reality is that a vast majority of folks sound like hell with any bugle tube. A small number are decent callers. And a really small number are good. Then you have elite guys that are better than some elk. A lot of folks assume they are a notch higher than they really are. I assume that I'm decent, so I may sound like hell. :)
The worst, is a guy that assumes his two notches above where he really is.

If you can't learn to use a diaphragm worth a dang, you'll not make it to decent regardless of which tube you buy. That is a lot of folks problem, they suck with a diaphragm, so they go the primos route and can be recognized almost without fail. I'd worry more about learning to use the diaphragm call than I would which tube.
sorry it took me so long to replay I was band for posting a sale item too many times

Vedauvoo

FNG
Phelps. Their Unleashed tube made my diaphragm calling sound better and made them easier to use.