New Tikka t3x- how many break in shots?

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a new Tikka t3x in 6.5 creedmoor. I took one sight in shot, and moved the reticle. I then shot 2 3 shot groups that were each about 1.5-1.7 inches. After those 2 groups, I shot 2 more 3 shot groups that were all touching. My question is, did you notice a break in period with your Tikka where after a certain number of shots it seemed to settle down and be more accurate? How many shots did it take? I did clean the barrel before any shooting. Just curious if my good groups are coincidence or make sense. I know 3 shot groups don't tell you a lot, I plan to do more shooting in the future. Just curious what everyone thinks.

Macintosh

WKR
I’ve had several tikkas, never noticed an accuracy difference between new and after a break-in. Might speed up a little after 100+, but never noticed anything with group size. Chances are you are just seeing the bell curve of where individual shots will land within the rifle’s cone.

ElPollo

WKR
I have not seen any major changes in accuracy over three new Tikkas in the last five years, but I don’t do 3 shot groups either. Anything you see from those is most likely your brain trying to make a pattern out of random chance.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
You are both probably right, I was just hoping the first 2 groups "didn't count" as they were the first 6/7 shots fired out of the gun. It just seems significant to me that it would shoot 6 shots nowhere near each other, then finish with 6 shots touching. Obviously I just need to shoot it more, I'm just bored at work and wanting to talk guns.

JGRaider

WKR
I have not seen any major changes in accuracy over three new Tikkas in the last five years, but I don’t do 3 shot groups either. Anything you see from those is most likely your brain trying to make a pattern out of random chance.
But then again, after too many to count 3 shot groups over the last 50 years, his rifle may be just that accurate. FWIW, I've never done break in on any barrel, ever. My first round, cold bore shots with the proper load never stray outside the group.

ElPollo

WKR
But then again, after too many to count 3 shot groups over the last 50 years, his rifle may be just that accurate. FWIW, I've never done break in on any barrel, ever. My first round, cold bore shots with the proper load never stray outside the group.
Outside of your three round group? Which one?

ElPollo

WKR
Plenty of bad groups when you’re doing load workup. That's why I specifically said "proper load", which you obviously missed.
I apologize. I obviously missed that. Can I start referring to you as “c”, after the constant in Einstein’s relativity equation?

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
1000002043.jpg1000002042.jpg1000002041.jpgThese are the 4 groups I'm talking about. Hopefully the next time out it shoots like the 2 tighter ones.

Attachments

• 1000002040.jpg
    1000002040.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 14

JGRaider

WKR
I'm not really sure what's going on between you two but you aren't answering my question.
I stated previously I've never noticed or needed any break in period for any of the 9 Tikkas I've had. The key to it is several repeatable tight groups.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
I'm not really sure what's going on between you two but you aren't answering my question.
Not saying what you are experiencing isn’t a real thing, but it’s hard to know if it’s real without more data. If you haven’t read the ‘your groups are too small’ thread and listened to that episode of the Hornady podcast, I’d recommend you start there. It’s possible you may find that all those groups are within your rifle’s actual cone of fire given that ammo. A factory rifle that is 1.5 MOA for 30 rounds is actually pretty good accuracy.

TaperPin

WKR
I see nothing wrong with 3 shot groups. Simply keep track of them - three three-shot groups overlaid is a 9 shot group.

Hopefully those little groups will continue.

JGRaider

WKR
You are both probably right, I was just hoping the first 2 groups "didn't count" as they were the first 6/7 shots fired out of the gun. It just seems significant to me that it would shoot 6 shots nowhere near each other, then finish with 6 shots touching. Obviously I just need to shoot it more, I'm just bored at work and wanting to talk guns.
You likely got the new, clean barrel copper fouled enough that it settled in nicely after those initial 6-7 shots. If it proves to be accurate/consistent I wouldn't clean it until groups open way up again if it were me. Great rifle and cartridge. I've had the exact same one for several years and it's superb.