New Sleeping bag

Kren

FNG
Hey Roksliders,

Looking to buy a new lightweight bag for backpack hunts, and have a couple questions. I have narrowed it down (i think) to Mountain Hardwear Phantom and Outdoor Vitals summit, both 15 degree bags. Cost, weight, etc are all fairly similar, but looks like the Outdoor Vitals might pack down smaller which would be nice. Anyone running theses? Likes/dislikes?

Also I am about exactly 6' tall (195lbs) would you guys recommend the "regular" or long models? Most bags say regular good up to 6', but i am curious if you think i'd be better off with a long being i would be at the very upper end of the "regular" size range?

SonnyDay

WKR
Based on the temp rating of the bags you are looking at, I’d go long so you have room for boots and such at the bottom of the bag to keep them from freezing.

I have not used either bag personally…

OP
Kren

Kren

FNG
Are you suggesting that these two bags suck, or that i should go with a 0 degree?

SonnyDay

WKR
Ha! Sorry, neither.

Just suggesting that you should get a long (versus regular) bag in whichever make/model you choose. Given you are looking at 15 degree bags, it seems like you intend to use these in late season / fairly cold temps. In that kind of environment, it's nice to be able to put boots, water bottles, electronics & batteries, etc. in the foot of your bag to keep them from freezing. So the extra room is handy.

I've had great luck with Mountain Hardware gear generally... but have never used any of their bags. I have not used any Outdoor Vitals gear but they seem like they make some good stuff.

Hope that helps!