New sight or new bow

rspecht55

FNG
I currently have a 20 year old Matthew’s Legacy. I have a 27.5 inch draw length and 60 pound draw weight. I really have trouble shooting past 50 yards because of my sight set up. I was thinking of upgrading my bow to increase my speed so that I can increase my distance. Would it be better to get a slider sight to solve this problem. Also, anything else you would like to add to help with this as my knowledge for setting up a bow is limited. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rspecht55

rspecht55

FNG
I would say I am ok at 50. I think if I can increase my distance that would help me improve at 50.

To my own understanding, I feel all you need is to change the sight on the bow. How many pins is your sight?

What sight do you have now and how heavy is your arrow? A slider would give you more yardage assuming it has a larger housing and greater range of vertical adjustment than your current sight. You should be able to get beyond 50 yds with that bow and a slider sight assuming your arrow isn’t really heavy.

Switching to a faster bow would also give you more range. Your current bow is perfectly capable of killing animals, but it is slow by today’s standards…308 fps IBO vs. ≈340 for a typical hunting bow today.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
If it was me I would probably put the money into a new bow. Granted that bow will have no issues killing anything. New bows are just so much more effiecient, quiet, dead in hand, lighter etc than bows from 20 years ago. Persoanlly i would rather have a new bow with not quite as nice of accessories than an old bow with tricked out accessories. I feel as you gain more from upgrading from an old bow versus getting new accessories.

OP
rspecht55

rspecht55

FNG
I have a trophy ridge 5 pin vertical sight and my arrow weight is 355

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a trophy ridge 5 pin vertical sight and my arrow weight is 355

Holy arrow weight. I mean if it works for you run with it I guess but wow that's light. What broadhead do you shoot? And if your arrow weight is that light and still running out of clearance issues I would definitely get a new bow. A new sight won't really do much.

OP
rspecht55

rspecht55

FNG
Holy arrow weight. I mean if it works for you run with it I guess but wow that's light. What broadhead do you shoot? And if your arrow weight is that light and still running out of clearance issues I would definitely get a new bow. A new sight won't really do much.

Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadhead. What arrow weight would be appropriate. This is what my local pro shop set up for me.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadhead. What arrow weight would be appropriate. This is what my local pro shop set up for me.

Thank goodness you are shooting a fixed blade. That setup with a fixed blade shouldn't have to many issues. Personally if I was in that situation i would get a heavier broadhead or a heavier insert to get a little bit closer to the 400 mark. Even if you got a broadhead that was 125 grains that would get you to 380 which is a lot better than 355. But with your setup I wouldn't even look at a mechanical broadhead. That's a solid choice for a fixed blade so I would stay with that. That's what I would do personally. Unfortunately a lot of "pro" shops these days give out terrible advice and just throw some arrows together for customers instead of finding what their arrows should look like. I'm not saying yours is bad just saying this happens a lot. But ya if you want something quick just get those same heads in 125 and that would do a lot better. 355 is just really light, so if you hit something hard you won't have a lot of momentum to get through it. If you get closer to 400 your arrows would have a little more "punch" compared to arrows at 355.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
@rspecht55 you have a fixed sight, correct?

Yes it sounds like he's got a fixed sight. A slider sight would allow him to shoot farther. But really you don't need more than 5 pins when hunting anyways. Or shouldn't have a need to slide a 5 pin sight. Unless you are shooting very far distances. But if he has a 20 year old bow shooting far with that is gonna be hard in itself, that's kinda where I see a new bow would be beneficial over a new sight.

i bought a new bow and put a slider on it....that i've never used. my #1 pin is 10/20, the other four pins get me to 60, and and don't practice enough to worry about trying to sling arrows at 80. if i owned a few acres and could shoot in my backyard to 100, i'd probably motivate to put a tape on the slider and practice longer shots. but i don't so....

turns out all the deer i've arrowed were under 40 anyway....

sndmn11

"DADDY"
Yes it sounds like he's got a fixed sight. A slider sight would allow him to shoot farther.
So, why are you mentioning-->
still running out of clearance issues I would definitely get a new bow. A new sight won't really do much.
?

When clearance issues aren't applicable to his current fixed sight...
And he is asking how he can practice further in an effort to improve his shooting overall and at 50 yards.

@rspecht55 your arrow weight is fine. I would keep the Legacy and get a sliding sight. You will be able to practice at a distance quite a bit further than 50yds, and a SpotHogg, Montana Black Gold, type of sight will last a lifetime. If you got a new bow and transferred your Trophy Ridge sight, you'd have the same limitation ad wanting to practice further than the fixed housing allows and probably end up buying a new sight anyway.

I agree with @sndmn11 …put a slider on the Legacy and see how you like it. A new sight is a lot cheaper than a new bow. If/when you get a new bow, you’ll probably want a new sight to go with it…go ahead and get a quality slider now, try it out on the Legacy, and transfer it to your next bow when that day comes.

Your arrow weight is fine. You should be getting around 250-260 fps at your specs, which isn’t blazing but plenty fast enough. I shot a Parker Feathermag for years at similar specs to your setup and practiced out to 70 yds. I think you could get to 70+ with the right sight on your Legacy.