New Rules Coming for Idaho Bear Hunters

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
There will be new rules for bear hunting in Idaho, as per the Idaho Press, August 20:

“The new rules require bear hunters to pass a test that tasks them with distinguishing black bears from grizzly bears before they can purchase a bear hunting tag. Black bears can be hunted in Idaho but grizzly bears are protected as threatened under the Endangered Species Act and cannot be hunted. Because the rule requires changes to the state’s point of sale licensing system, the rule won’t take effect until Jan. 1.”

“A second two-part rule requires bear hunters to alert the Idaho Department of Fish and Game if any grizzly bears visit their baiting sites and to stop using and remove the bait site for the remainder of that season. That rule takes effect Sept. 1.”

Here's the press release from IDFG: Bear hunters will have new rules regarding grizzly bears starting Sept. 1 and mandatory bear ID for 2025

They say the new rules will improve the chances of delisting grizzlies in Idaho. I'm for it if that's the case.

Bait is already prohibited in many of the areas with thriving grizzly populations.
And to try and get ahead of this:

Woolsocks

FNG
I’d say this is useless, but I see all kinds of hunters asking what kind of bear they see on their trail cam….

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Are IDFG employees going to be required to pass the black bear vs grizzly bear test...

Could be wrong but I am pretty sure this rule change is stemming from an incident in which a hunter positively ID'd a griz but IDFG gave him the go ahead to harvest the bear claiming it was a black bear.