New rifle

TreeDog

Lil-Rokslider
The bolt will not close with ANY factory ammunition. And if it does with the occasional 1 it’s very forced
Sounds like the headspace is too short on spec. Could have a smith run a reamer in it to get to spec pretty quick and cheap I would think. Way cheaper than a new rifle.

OP
K
Sounds like the headspace is too short on spec. Could have a smith run a reamer in it to get to spec pretty quick and cheap I would think. Way cheaper than a new rifle.
Then the warranty is voided and I have to rebarrel if the smith messes it up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Then the warranty is voided and I have to rebarrel if the smith messes it up.

It seems that you are trying very hard to justify a new rifle. If so, great. However, reaming a chamber is very easy and is a 20 minute job for any decent smith anywhere. Not only that, but a new take off 30/06 barrel is about $100.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Might check out the Sauer 100 series

Nice rifles for the money, but it seems like the lines are unclear between stainless steel barreled actions and “stainless cerekote” finish. I think the stainless XTA was a stainless steel barreled action, but only sold in Europe? In the US, can’t tell if any are actually stainless steel. Seems not.

Kyguy

FNG
So you’d get the Winchester?
If you absolutely want a new rifle, it depends on what the price is on the M70.. If I could find one on sale if I were you, I'd give it a whirl. I don't think I would spend $1,500 on one. But I think the first thing I would do if I was in your shoes is I would take that Tikka to a gunsmith and have the chamber cleaned up. I really don't care about the factory warranties on rifles. It's the most financially responsible route..... But like any of us really worry about that when it comes to buying rifles.. If I was going to buy a new 30-06 rifle right now, it would probably be the Remington 700 Alpha 1. It's got everything I would want in a hunting rifle... Heavier sporter contour barrel, high quality stock, real bottom metal and a good trigger. Can easily be found under $2000, I've seen them online for between $1500-$1800. Matter of fact, if I didn't already have a custom 700 in .308, I'd go buy the Alpha now in .308. I keep debating the .243 as well, since it's got a 1-8 barrel. Obviously, I'm not concerned about that financially responsible part right now. HA!

OP
K
It seems that you are trying very hard to justify a new rifle. If so, great. However, reaming a chamber is very easy and is a 20 minute job for any decent smith anywhere. Not only that, but a new take off 30/06 barrel is about $100.
Yeah I’m down to do that. Any recommendations on barrels? I’ll see if I can find a gun smith as well. Save a few bucks.

OP
K
If you absolutely want a new rifle, it depends on what the price is on the M70.. If I could find one on sale if I were you, I'd give it a whirl. I don't think I would spend $1,500 on one. But I think the first thing I would do if I was in your shoes is I would take that Tikka to a gunsmith and have the chamber cleaned up. I really don't care about the factory warranties on rifles. It's the most financially responsible route..... But like any of us really worry about that when it comes to buying rifles.. If I was going to buy a new 30-06 rifle right now, it would probably be the Remington 700 Alpha 1. It's got everything I would want in a hunting rifle... Heavier sporter contour barrel, high quality stock, real bottom metal and a good trigger. Can easily be found under $2000, I've seen them online for between $1500-$1800. Matter of fact, if I didn't already have a custom 700 in .308, I'd go buy the Alpha now in .308. I keep debating the .243 as well, since it's got a 1-8 barrel. Obviously, I'm not concerned about that financially responsible part right now. HA!
I’m probably just going to take the advise of everyone and get a smith to look at it. Not sure if I have enough time to order a new spin on barrel for it. Maybe I do. I’m not home much, so it’s hard to get time + the closest smith is a few hours away. Worst case scenario I’ll just grab the old 1980’s vanguard 270 I’ve had for years! But man does that thing weigh a ton! lol I also have a Mossberg Patriot 308 that I bought for literally nothing. 250 bucks and it has a leupold 2-7 on it. Not my cup of tea but will do the job if I need it too I assume.

Seems like I was trying very hard to justify a new gun, but I love the feel of that tikka so dang much!

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I’m probably just going to take the advise of everyone and get a smith to look at it. Not sure if I have enough time to order a new spin on barrel for it. Maybe I do. I’m not home much, so it’s hard to get time + the closest smith is a few hours away. Worst case scenario I’ll just grab the old 1980’s vanguard 270 I’ve had for years! But man does that thing weigh a ton! lol I also have a Mossberg Patriot 308 that I bought for literally nothing. 250 bucks and it has a leupold 2-7 on it. Not my cup of tea but will do the job if I need it too I assume.

Seems like I was trying very hard to justify a new gun, but I love the feel of that tikka so dang much!
You only need a new barrel if the smith (somehow) gaffs your factory barrel, which is very unlikely. Any halfway competent gunsmith should have no trouble fixing this issue. And as others said, quickly as well.

I took what form said as “even if they do mess it up, a takeoff barrel is $100”

You don’t need to run out and find a barrel, you need to find a smith that has an -06 reamer.

Edit:unless you want to keep your barrel that sucks, buy a new one, and pay the guy to twist it on assuming you don’t have a vice and action wrench. There’s no way that’s cheaper than having it reamed.

The Guide

WKR
Yeah I’m down to do that. Any recommendations on barrels? I’ll see if I can find a gun smith as well. Save a few bucks.
You might just need to have a light pass with a reamer in your current barrel. Might not have the lead tight and the rifling is a little proud.

For a barrel, look in the classified gun ads on here. If nothing is available, look on J&A Outdoors (a Rokslide Sponsor) and order a brand new takeoff barrel. Not sure if you have a blued or stainless action but they have a stainless barrel in stock right now. It is as easy as unscrewing the old barrel and screwing on a new on as Tikka actions can use prefit barrels. Any component gunsmith can do it in under an hour usually.

With your current action and bolt, you could use get any long action or short action standard boltface cartridge. You aren't limited to just a 30-06. Want another 270? Buy a 270 barrel. Want a 6.5 Creedmoor? Buy a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Sky is the limit.

Jay

OP
K
You might just need to have a light pass with a reamer in your current barrel. Might not have the lead tight and the rifling is a little proud.

For a barrel, look in the classified gun ads on here. If nothing is available, look on J&A Outdoors (a Rokslide Sponsor) and order a brand new takeoff barrel. Not sure if you have a blued or stainless action but they have a stainless barrel in stock right now. It is as easy as unscrewing the old barrel and screwing on a new on as Tikka actions can use prefit barrels. Any component gunsmith can do it in under an hour usually.

With your current action and bolt, you could use get any long action or short action standard boltface cartridge. You aren't limited to just a 30-06. Want another 270? Buy a 270 barrel. Want a 6.5 Creedmoor? Buy a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Sky is the limit.

Jay
I found a gun smith about an hour away, suppose to drop it off Tuesday for the action issue, as well as threading and a muzzle brake. Debating Cerakote as well, but haven’t decided.

The Guide

WKR
I found a gun smith about an hour away, suppose to drop it off Tuesday for the action issue, as well as threading and a muzzle brake. Debating Cerakote as well, but haven’t decided.
I'd get it shooting right and make sure you are happy with the accuracy before you spend money on Cerakote.

Jay