New rifle

Kyguy

FNG
I ran the Model 70 for a season, in 30-06. It's been 5 or 6 years, at least. Good handling, everything smooth as silk. Wouldn't shoot a 3 shot group under 1.5" to save its life. Two shots touching and the third would kick out over an inch every time, with every load I tried. I think at the time, I had 15 different factory loads. Looking back, I should have put a different scope on to see if it stayed consistent with that trend, but I went ahead and sold it and moved on. The barrel contour was a bit lighter than what the photos make it look.... it was a very straight profile from the shoulder of the barrel down to .620" muzzle (or used to be, haven't laid hands on a new one since I sold mine). It's definitely a stouter sporter barrel, it didn't radius into gradual taper, but still lighter than that I thought it would be. The paint on the Bell & Carlson stock chipped at the rear tang immediately after shooting, but it's not like that would affect shooting. Trigger broke like glass right at 3lbs, as low as it would go. Honestly though, I found a good deal that was something like 35% off at the time. I'd have been more disappointed in it with paying regular retail for it.

The Brownings look good, always tempted to buy one, but I kinda can't get past a rifle at those prices not having a trigger that will adjust below 3lbs without replacing springs.... unless they've changed that recently.

OP
K
I ran the Model 70 for a season, in 30-06. It's been 5 or 6 years, at least. Good handling, everything smooth as silk. Wouldn't shoot a 3 shot group under 1.5" to save its life. Two shots touching and the third would kick out over an inch every time, with every load I tried. I think at the time, I had 15 different factory loads. Looking back, I should have put a different scope on to see if it stayed consistent with that trend, but I went ahead and sold it and moved on. The barrel contour was a bit lighter than what the photos make it look.... it was a very straight profile from the shoulder of the barrel down to .620" muzzle (or used to be, haven't laid hands on a new one since I sold mine). It's definitely a stouter sporter barrel, it didn't radius into gradual taper, but still lighter than that I thought it would be. The paint on the Bell & Carlson stock chipped at the rear tang immediately after shooting, but it's not like that would affect shooting. Trigger broke like glass right at 3lbs, as low as it would go. Honestly though, I found a good deal that was something like 35% off at the time. I'd have been more disappointed in it with paying regular retail for it.

The Brownings look good, always tempted to buy one, but I kinda can't get past a rifle at those prices not having a trigger that will adjust below 3lbs without replacing springs.... unless they've changed that recently.
What are some alternative recommendations that are not tikka? I have a tikka 30-06 that has bad head-spacing from the factory… I’m going to eventually built something off it, but I need a rifle for deer season. I’m not fortunate enough to own 10 rifles. I considered buying a ruger american gen 2 for like 550.

What are some alternative recommendations that are not tikka? I have a tikka 30-06 that has bad head-spacing from the factory… I’m going to eventually built something off it, but I need a rifle for deer season. I’m not fortunate enough to own 10 rifles. I considered buying a ruger american gen 2 for like 550.
Why don't you spend the 550 bucks on getting the tikka fixed?

Or buy a used rifle? There's so many used guns out there why anyone buys new is beyond me. You save a ton of money buying a lightly used gun. Most people shoot less than 100 rds before they decide they wanna sell. I'd wager that like 75% of the used guns on the market today have 100rds or less on them. Especially the popular hunting calibers. For 550 bucks you can get a nice push feed model 70.

The ruger american is a clunky piece of junk. Would not recommend. The bolt binds when cycling rapidly with loaded magazine inserted. I tried one last weekend and wouldn't recommend it. It's the dodge ram of the rifle world.

OP
K
Why don't you spend the 550 bucks on getting the tikka fixed?

Or buy a used rifle? There's so many used guns out there why anyone buys new is beyond me. You save a ton of money buying a lightly used gun. Most people shoot less than 100 rds before they decide they wanna sell. I'd wager that like 75% of the used guns on the market today have 100rds or less on them. Especially the popular hunting calibers. For 550 bucks you can get a nice push feed model 70.

The ruger american is a clunky piece of junk. Would not recommend. The bolt binds when cycling rapidly with loaded magazine inserted. I tried one last weekend and wouldn't recommend it. It's the dodge ram of the rifle world.
How about the CVA Cascade?

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
No mention of budget but based on your comments above perhaps give Bergara or Savage some serious thoughts.

The xbolt Speed is a fine rifle. I have a suppressor ready model chambered in 6.5 PRC and it flat shoots. Action is smooth, feeds reliably. Fixed the trigger with a simple trigger spring kit from mcarbo. Breaks like my triggertechs now

Reactions: BCD

BCD

WKR
The xbolt Speed is a fine rifle. I have a suppressor ready model chambered in 6.5 PRC and it flat shoots. Action is smooth, feeds reliably. Fixed the trigger with a simple trigger spring kit from mcarbo. Breaks like my triggertechs now
I really like my xbolts

Kyguy

FNG
My first question would be, have you contacted Tikka about getting that rifle corrected? The rugers seem to be a love-hate relationship, there's no middle ground when people talk about them. I actually have a couple on the way, the Gen 1, to play with a bit and see what I think. I can tell you that every one of them that I've ran into at the range shot spectacularly for a factory rifle with factory ammo. Just a couple weeks ago, a fella had a Gen 2 Ranch in 5.56 and that thing shot 3/4 in or better with everything he tried in it, from cheap FMJ to match ammo. The guy that owns the range says he has never seen a Ruger American come through that doesn't shoot very well.

The CVA gets very good reviews, but after the fiasco I had with CVA and a brand new wolf muzzleloader, I'd quit hunting and shooting before I ever use one of their products again. That's just a personal thing. Also, every Cascade I've looked at seems to have a warped forend that touches the barrel on one side. Bergara is part of the parent company Dikar that owns BPI/CVA, so I'll probably never own a Bergara either.

The new Remington is putting out great products from what I've read. Same with Winchester and the XPR. If I were you, I would not knock out the extreme weather M70 just based on what I've said. There are tons of spectacular reviews on that rifle. Regardless of the manufacturer, there is always the opportunity for a bum rifle.

OP
K
My first question would be, have you contacted Tikka about getting that rifle corrected? The rugers seem to be a love-hate relationship, there's no middle ground when people talk about them. I actually have a couple on the way, the Gen 1, to play with a bit and see what I think. I can tell you that every one of them that I've ran into at the range shot spectacularly for a factory rifle with factory ammo. Just a couple weeks ago, a fella had a Gen 2 Ranch in 5.56 and that thing shot 3/4 in or better with everything he tried in it, from cheap FMJ to match ammo. The guy that owns the range says he has never seen a Ruger American come through that doesn't shoot very well.

The CVA gets very good reviews, but after the fiasco I had with CVA and a brand new wolf muzzleloader, I'd quit hunting and shooting before I ever use one of their products again. That's just a personal thing. Also, every Cascade I've looked at seems to have a warped forend that touches the barrel on one side. Bergara is part of the parent company Dikar that owns BPI/CVA, so I'll probably never own a Bergara either.

The new Remington is putting out great products from what I've read. Same with Winchester and the XPR. If I were you, I would not knock out the extreme weather M70 just based on what I've said. There are tons of spectacular reviews on that rifle. Regardless of the manufacturer, there is always the opportunity for a bum rifle.
So you’d get the Winchester?

The Guide

WKR
What makes you think that you have bad headspace on your rifle?

Jay

wesfromky

WKR
The Gen2 Rugers are reasonable rifles - they are not as polished or smooth as Tikka/etc. But they shoot well enough for most people, esp given the price. Pick one up in 556, put a good scope on it, stock up on some 77tmk or 73eldm, and go kill shit.

idahodave

WKR
If you’re at $1,500…be patient and look for a used, Seekins PH2…or dig deeper into the couch cushions and get a new one for a couple hundred more.

There is essentially zero chance that you would be anything but thrilled to death.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one of those m70 extreme weather rifles in 30-06 and it’s always been an awesome rifle. I don’t take it out much at all anymore but I had several hand loads that would shoot about an inch which I always thought was fine.

If I remember right, the best loads I had for it used 200g partitions, and 200g eldx bullets, I think I also had a really good one that used 150g inter bonds. I definetly also had a load with the 190g ABLR that was very solid.

I actually came across that gun the other day while I was cleaning some stuff up, it’s sitting there with dnz rings and a leupold 2.5-8.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve never been impressed with x bolts, the stocks don’t seem great, the triggers suck, scope ring options are limited. It also seemed like they didn’t really make very many stainless barreled rifles.

Just my opinion though, maybe none of that matters.

SkyHunter

FNG
Between the two you mentioned, I'd go with the x-bolt and throw a trigger kit in it. But overall I'm with idahodave, shop around for a barely used higher end rifle and be thrilled shooting it for years.

OP
K
S
If you’re at $1,500…be patient and look for a used, Seekins PH2…or dig deeper into the couch cushions and get a new one for a couple hundred more.

There is essentially zero chance that you would be anything but thrilled to death.

Doesn’t make any sense for me ig. I should’ve clarified what I do. I’m an east coast hunter. I shoot free handed so the stock w a vertical grip does not help me.