New Rifle Question

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to be getting a new rifle for 2014 and have myself narrowed down between two rifles, the Browning x-bolt composite stalker and the Tikka t3 lite, anyone have experience with these two rifles, also having a hard time choosing between the 270wsm and the 300 wsm, ill mainly be hunting coues deer, mule deer and black bears, with the possibility of elk thrown in, thanks in advance, Daniel

ssliger

WKR
I have the X-bolt and love it. Went rifle shopping with a buddy last year, we went to Sportsmans and tried a bunch of rifles out. We did not like the feel of the Tikka, he ended up buying the X-bolt in 300 mag.

spdrman

WKR
I have a Tikka T3 Superlite in a 7mm, I have a stack of targets from 500 yards with sub 1.5" groups on them. I didn't like the stock so I put a B&C on it. Nicest gun I've carried in the hills weighs right at 8.2 lbs with my nightforce on it, had a Leupold on it for awhile and it was under 7.5 pounds
IMG_20130429_132210_162-1_zps7c3c4fc3.jpg

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both are very good guns. Here is another vote for the tikka. For me it came down to weight, adjustable trigger, floated barrel, accuracy and all for a price that won't break the bank.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka t3 in 300 wsm and it out shoots my browning a-bolt as well as my Remington model 700 in much smaller calibers.

aron

WKR
I suggest going to a store and handle both to see what better fits you and is more comfortable. Also, do you plan to do any upgrades to the rifle? If so, tikka will be easier to find aftermarket parts.

I have a x-bolt stainless stalker in 300 wsm and wouldn't trade it for a Tikka. I found when handling the two that the Browning just fit way better, plus it felt more solid and better finished to me. My big decision was between the x-bolt and the Sako Finnlight, and for almost double the price I simply couldn't justify the Sako. X-bolt has an adjustable trigger, free floating better and mine shoots sub moa. No complaints at all!

crumy

WKR
I have a Tikka T3 Superlite in a 7mm, I have a stack of targets from 500 yards with sub 1.5" groups on them. I didn't like the stock so I put a B&C on it. Nicest gun I've carried in the hills weighs right at 8.2 lbs with my nightforce on it, had a Leupold on it for awhile and it was under 7.5 pounds

Who makes the brake you have it? How as the felt recoil before and after you put it on?

What muzzle brake and scope mount you using? Looks like you changed the stock. Are you using a B&C stock..... And have you had any issues with the recoil lug? I've been torn on getting the standard T3 lite or the super lite..... haven't seen anyone really do a comparison.

spdrman

WKR
The brake is a local guy that custom makes whatever you want, had him do the 4 side ports and 3 ports up top to keep it from jumping up, felt recoil is hardly anything, I hate recoil and never even tried shooting the gun without it. shooting steel, rocks, clay pigeons etc I can see the bullet hit them, nice to be able to track your own shots. The recoil lug was a concern when I bought the gun, I've kept a close eye on it and it hasn't caused any issues. I love the B&C stock, I never even shot the gun with the factory, it just felt cheap but its actually one of the most solid synthetic stocks on rifles around that price range. The rings are DNZ I liked how they are solid one piece, tried lapping them but there was no need too

What muzzle brake and scope mount you using? Looks like you changed the stock. Are you using a B&C stock..... And have you had any issues with the recoil lug? I've been torn on getting the standard T3 lite or the super lite..... haven't seen anyone really do a comparison.

i really like these stocks.... what scope is this? do you feel it takes away from your light weight mountain rifle or just adds integrity thats worth it and not to do without.... i bought the f1 $2467.00 damn! trying not to think about that..... have not recieved it yet but will have it today i think. mine will be 30oz and makes me think twice about my purchase. might send it back for the 20oz nxs compact 42mm. looks like a nice rig.....1.5'' at 500yrds is plenty acceptable for a rifle in that price range, hell any price range........

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up getting a killer deal on a Browning Xbolt in 300 win mag, and i put a vortex viper 6.5 - 20 scope on it, ill shoot it this weekend... Thank you for all your help and suggestions, the xbolt just felt better in hand.

That is one Bad A rifle sir.