New Rifle or Customize Current Howa 1500?

Rodéo

WKR
I have a Howa 1500 in .308, 20 inch barrel, all cerakoted (it's the kuiu edition if that matters).

I'm torn between buying a new rifle or customizing my current setup. I use this rifle for all big game currently but want something with a little less kick for shooting at the range and the generally small blacktail/muley hybrids I hunt in CA. If I go with a new rifle, I think 6.5 creedmoor is at the top of my list in terms of caliber. I don't reload if you're wondering.

If I upgrade the Howa, I have some questions since I'm totally new to this. The gripes I have with the Howa now are that it's a little heavy for the backcountry (8.6 lbs. scoped and loaded) and the recoil gets annoying after 50 or so rounds at the range. If I customize, I'm thinking fluted barrel and bolt to shave a few ounces + getting the barrel threaded for a muzzle break. How much would this reasonably cost?

Budget for new rifle w/ scope: Around $1250. Glass would likely be something in the vortex razor lh line (the old models) or another lightweight mid to high-level option.

Budget for customizing current setup:Around $400-500. Would like to keep it at less than half the cost of a new rifle that weighs around 7lbs. scoped.

If I'm being totally unrealistic on my budget please let me know since I'm new to this. Just trying to see what would be more cost effective. Keep in mind, the howa is my first centerfire rifle, I don't plan on having it be my last.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Get a carbon six prefit, my howa has one and a McMillan stock, shoots great. I also have a Timney trigger, but to do this at minimum you’ll need the $1250 to put into it. If your only going to put $400-$500 into the howa don’t spend the money.

An 8.6 lb rifle scoped is fairly light. The recoil will only be more with a lighter rifle. Your concerns conflict one another. I also sport about an 8.5 lb hunting rifle scoped. Just put a muzzle brake on it and it will feel mich better. Use the money saved for weights.

Checkout the Ruger American Go Wild in either 6.5C or 6.5PRC if you want a little extra juice out of the .264. 6mm Creedmoor and .243 would also fit the bill, but I don't believe this model is available in 6mm Creed.

Weight is 6.6 lbs and it comes with a factory muzzle brake. You have to spend a lot of money to shave off a couple more ounces.

Edit to add the compact model is listed at 5.6 lbs.

Last edited:
If your having trouble with 308 recoil at 8.5 lbs fluting the barrel wil only make things worse. A brake would definitely be your best option or you could get a led weight installed in your stock to make the gun heavier.

If your goal is to practice shooting at the range and get lots of trigger time try dry firing more. You could also get a lighter kicking rifle for practice like a 223, 243, or 6.5 CM.

Wapiti1

WKR
Ditch the Hogue stock. Those are heavy stocks. Just get a new stock to drop weight.

Does a .308 shooting 140gr bullets kick more than a 6.5 CM shooting 140 gr bullets, or 120's in each for that matter? If you're not worried about shooting past 500 yards, just go lighter in the .308. I'm assuming you're shooting 165's in the .308.

As for customizing the Howa, fluting and threading should run about $250 plus another $100 to have it re-coated. You'll lose something like 6 ounces of weight in fluting and add 3 with a muzzle brake, so even weight wise.

Summary, get a new stock if you want to shave weight, and drop bullet weight to reduce recoil. If you still want more recoil reduction, just get it threaded for a brake, with no fluting.

Jeremy

The new 6.5 PRC would be a really excellent chambering that would not beat you to death and still have quite a bit more pop than the 6.5 Creedmor. If you can find a new or used rifle in 6mm Remington that is a really sweet chambering. I have taken a lot of coyotes, antelope, deer, and one elk with the 6mm.

tdhanses

WKR
Ditch the Hogue stock. Those are heavy stocks. Just get a new stock to drop weight.

Does a .308 shooting 140gr bullets kick more than a 6.5 CM shooting 140 gr bullets, or 120's in each for that matter? If you're not worried about shooting past 500 yards, just go lighter in the .308. I'm assuming you're shooting 165's in the .308.

As for customizing the Howa, fluting and threading should run about $250 plus another $100 to have it re-coated. You'll lose something like 6 ounces of weight in fluting and add 3 with a muzzle brake, so even weight wise.

Summary, get a new stock if you want to shave weight, and drop bullet weight to reduce recoil. If you still want more recoil reduction, just get it threaded for a brake, with no fluting.

Jeremy

I agree with everything but he’ll never get all that for $400-$500, more like $800.

robtattoo

WKR
Don't waste your money on an upgrade.
Take your $1250 & throw half of it at a stainless T3x in .243/6.5 manbun/whatever.
Dump $3-500 into some sexy glass that you like & spend the rest on ammo or a cheap reloading setup.

chefcreed

FNG
I have a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor 24” HB, Hogue stock. I had it threaded and put a Area 419 Hellfire brake on mainly for upcoming suppressor. It’s 11 ish pounds, but nice for range work and southeast whitetail hunting out of stands. Still I would like a little lighter and shorter but the cost to upgrade isn’t worth it to me. All that said based on the Op comments I would sell or trade and look hard at the Howa HS Precision 6.5 PRC, Tikka, or Weatherby Vanguard.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Appreciate the feedback folks.

I'm thinking of buying new instead of upgrading. Open to caliber suggestions that are better for practice than the .308 and can still take down medium sized game like blacktails and the occasional pig. Can anyone speak to the pros cons of a 6.5 v. a .243? How big is the difference at the range and on game? +Other similar caliber suggestions

Also, I like the tikka suggestions and am leaning towards going that route. Any benefits to stainless model over blued other than the stainless looking better?

Also open to rifle suggestions in the $1000 and under category, hopefully way below that so I have room in my budget to buy nice glass for it asap.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
The new 6.5 PRC would be a really excellent chambering that would not beat you to death and still have quite a bit more pop than the 6.5 Creedmor. If you can find a new or used rifle in 6mm Remington that is a really sweet chambering. I have taken a lot of coyotes, antelope, deer, and one elk with the 6mm.
I don't reload and I've never seen 6mm rem on the shelves although I'd love to give it a shot. Availability of ammo is a pretty big factor for me so I'm thinking of sticking to more popular rounds.

chefcreed

FNG
I really like the Howa Action, trigger and 3 position safety. Hard to find similar for the price. They’re still heavy though. A 6.5 Creedmoor with proper ammo will takedown deer and pigs just fine. At least they do here in S.C. Some out of the box thinking but the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel is a great carry rifle. Shot deer, Yote, and a 250+ Lb sow with mine DRT.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I really like the Howa Action, trigger and 3 position safety. Hard to find similar for the price. They’re still heavy though. A 6.5 Creedmoor with proper ammo will takedown deer and pigs just fine. At least they do here in S.C. Some out of the box thinking but the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel is a great carry rifle. Shot deer, Yote, and a 250+ Lb sow with mine DRT.
I'm a big fan of my howa as well. Shoots way better than I can and the safety and trigger are good enough for me. Maybe I'll just add a brake and accept it as my "heavy rifle".

6.5 is at the top of the list for the new rifle so I'm glad to hear it won't have a problem mid sized game.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Have you shot any other rifles? A medium weight 308 shouldn’t be kicking you too hard. Making it lighter will make it kick more. I wonder if the stock geometry just doesn’t agree with you. I really really like a lot of Weatherby rifles, but I absolutely hate their stocks. I think they may work for some people, but I feel like they magnify recoil for me. Something with a straight comb and less drop works far better for me. Like a Remington or Winchester shaped stock.

Keep in mind, a muzzle break may reduce recoil, but it increases muzzle blast/noise. Which in my opinion is not a good trade off. A suppressor does both, reduces recoil and muzzle blast. Adds a few ounces to the barrel and they aren’t cheap is the drawback.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Have you shot any other rifles? A medium weight 308 shouldn’t be kicking you too hard. Making it lighter will make it kick more. I wonder if the stock geometry just doesn’t agree with you. I really really like a lot of Weatherby rifles, but I absolutely hate their stocks. I think they may work for some people, but I feel like they magnify recoil for me. Something with a straight comb and less drop works far better for me. Like a Remington or Winchester shaped stock.

Keep in mind, a muzzle break may reduce recoil, but it increases muzzle blast/noise. Which in my opinion is not a good trade off. A suppressor does both, reduces recoil and muzzle blast. Adds a few ounces to the barrel and they aren’t cheap is the drawback.
I haven't shot another centerfire rifle so that's why I'm thinking I'll forget about making it lighter and just pick up a lighter cartridge rifle to practice with. The .308 doesn't kick too hard to be honest, I just feel like I'd have a more enjoyable time at the range and could work on not flinching and getting better form with a rifle that's a little more forgiving for all day shooting.

I wish I could go the suppressor route but it's illegal here in CA for the foreseeable future so I don't see that happening.

Thanks for the advice on making sure the rifle fits. I'll make sure to do that this time around. What are some tips for handling a rifle in store before buying?

LightFoot

WKR
Appreciate the feedback folks.

I'm thinking of buying new instead of upgrading. Open to caliber suggestions that are better for practice than the .308 and can still take down medium sized game like blacktails and the occasional pig. Can anyone speak to the pros cons of a 6.5 v. a .243? How big is the difference at the range and on game? +Other similar caliber suggestions

Also, I like the tikka suggestions and am leaning towards going that route. Any benefits to stainless model over blued other than the stainless looking better?

Also open to rifle suggestions in the $1000 and under category, hopefully way below that so I have room in my budget to buy nice glass for it asap.
The 6.5 is adequate for elk/caribou where the 243 is marginal. But if you aren't putting that on the menu, 243 is fine. I think that now you can find 6.5 ammo all the same places you find 243. At the local sporting goods chains near me, the 6.5 has more variety and is often cheaper than the 243.

I agree with the new Tikka being the right answer for you. Stainless adds weather resistance and looks better in my opinion.

I like the Razor LH, which I run on a 6.5 Creedmoor.

>>>----JAKE----->

robtattoo

WKR
I really, really hate the Crackmore, but the damn thing just keeps persisting at killing stuff.
It's as common, if not more so, than 99% of ammo these days. It's loaded from mouse to moose, it's cheap & it's super soft shooting in lighter bullet weights. To be fair, a 140+gn hunting round will kick you just like a 130gn .308, but you can practice all day long with 120s.
Actually, you can practice all day long with reduced recoil, 110gn .308s for even less recoil.......

Were I in your shoes, because of my irrational hatred, i'd have to go with a .243. It's perfectly adequate for everything short of elk sized stuff (aaaaaand it's actually ok for them, especially with modern bullet technology) Light bullets, sub 120gn, equals light recoil equals more trigger time equals you get more used to it equals you become a better shot.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Looks like I'll be looking to find a good deal on a tikka in .243 or 6.5 coming up here soon. I'll also look into lighter loads for my .308 for range practice but they're hard to find in store here