New rifle idea help:

Jmort1754

WKR
I have a Rem 700 sitting here.. I know god forbid but I got it cheap and it's an older one. LA mag BF,

Regardless of what I have already as duplicates don't matter, what are would you build on it?

I don't want to hear buy a tikka, that's not what I have here.

I am a wildcat guy, so my recommendation would be a 7 Sherman Mega. I built a 338 Mega and it is a lot of fun.

If you are a standard guy, or not a hand loader, the 6.5 or 7 PRC would be a good choice.

TaperPin

WKR
I just love an old cheap Remington. I’ve never had a 25 caliber and have really been interested in the 257 Weatherby or something like it with a 28” to 29” #3 or #4 barrel.

Another barrel I’ve wanted for a while is a fast twist 264 win mag, probably also a little longer than usual. I grew up looking at 6.5-300 Weatherby load data in the Sierra book, so that would be a fun screamer and all your 6.5 PRC friends would grin ear to ear while picking up or shooting.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go with any short cartridges - a 6mm-PRC or short 270 of some kind would be fun. I just picked up a 204 Ruger barrel for my long action and a long action bolt is being modified for .223 size case heads.

I have another standard bolt and grin every time the 28” 6mm-06 barrel is screwed on - that’s the most fun this month.

A fairly beefy 20” 375 H&H that I’ll eventually have milled into an octagon makes me smile every time it’s picked up. The skinny 375 barrels at Brownells (or is it midway) would be fun, but make my shoulder hurt just thinking about them.

I’ve never had a long bull barrel 300 mag of any kind so that would be fun.

Your new project just makes me grin - you should have fun with such a blank canvas. :)

ps. Don’t overlook a red dot on a 16” .338 win, or 300 SAUM with a cute little folding chassis.

B23

WKR
I have a Rem 700 sitting here.. I know god forbid but I got it cheap and it's an older one. LA mag BF,

Regardless of what I have already as duplicates don't matter, what are would you build on it?
Are we to assume you reload because knowing that will have a lot of bearing of any suggestions.

I hate to waste a good long action so whatever you decide, me personally, I'd go with something that is a long action cartridge.

For something with good shooting factory ammo I would probably look at the 7 PRC.

If you reload I'd do something like a 25-7 PRC or 6.5-7 PRC or even a straight 7 PRC.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Are we to assume you reload because knowing that will have a lot of bearing of any suggestions.

I hate to waste a good long action so whatever you decide, me personally, I'd go with something that is a long action cartridge.

For something with good shooting factory ammo I would probably look at the 7 PRC.

If you reload I'd do something like a 25-7 PRC or 6.5-7 PRC or even a straight 7 PRC.
Yes I reload...

khuber84

WKR
My smith ordered a 65LRM reamer here a month ago based upon my adg 7lrm brass specs necked down. It's got a long ass neck, and I think he went with 160 freebore. Should accommodate anything from 140s to 156s really well. It'll have slightly more capacity than a 264wm, but have low taper 30° shoulder, non rebated rim, and best of all, no belt. I'd think it'll be in line with the performance of the 65-7prc improved that UM has built.