New Rain Pants

I have a Sitka Stormfront Lite rainjacket, really like it. I have been using browning camo rain paints. They have a soft layer on the outside so they're quiet, pack down relatively small, and I think they said they use goretex although it didn't look like it. When I broke them out this year I remember why I planned on replacing them last year. I was instantly covered in cockle-burrs so badly my legs were practically velcroed together and it made it very noisy.

Suggestions? I'd be interested in some ultralight backpacking rain pants - I'm not hung up on camo, but I want something that is comparable to what the hunting manufacturers put out - tough enough to take some abuse, and on the same noise level. I'm a big fan of goretex. I would just buy Sitka Dewpoint pants if money was no object, but money is an object... I got the jacket on sale. Ultra packable is what I want. I am looking at the Cabela's space rain, but wasn't sure if they are the same soft outside layer as what I have now. Anyways - I would appreciate any advice thanks

The Cabela's space pants are great for the price, but don't expect to do any bushwacking with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
I've had good luck with the Marmot Precip full zip rain pants. They have proven to be pretty durable over scree and talus fields while mountaineering but may be loud for quite stalks. The full zip has dual zippers so you can vent from the top or unzip from the bottom to don or doff them over the largest of boots. $100.00 MSRP but you can usually find them on sale for around $80.00. My "go to" all around rain pants and the ones I pack for any venture are the Arcteryx Alpha SL. Super durable, all Gortex, full zip and bomber water proof. . . About $250.00 as I recall. . .

Last edited:
OP
G
I've had good luck with the Marmot Precip full zip rain pants. They have proven to be pretty durable over scree and talus fields while mountaineering but may be loud for quite stalks. The full zip has dual zippers so you can vent from the top or unzip from the bottom to don or doff them over the largest of boots. $100.00 MSRP but you can usually find them on sale for around $80.00. My "go to" all around rain pants and the ones I pack for any venture are the Arcteryx Alpha SL. Super durable, all Gortex, full zip and bomber water proof. . . About $250.00 as I recall. . .

Thanks I'll check them out. The KUIU Teton Rain Pants have caught my interest too. I was also thinking I could find some Goretex Paclite in any brand and they might compare to the Sitka Stormfront Lite jacket I have.

KMT

WKR
I had the marmot precip pants for one week. The waistband is worthless if walking up or down hill or with a pack. It's just elastic with Velcro adjustments. They won't stay put on me.

OP
G
Any reviews on the Kuiu Teton rain pant? The weight and price is right

OP
G
Just get a pair of gaiters. Cockle burr problem solved.
Instead of rain pants? I have gaiters, they're good for walking thru wet grass after rain, but still need rain pants for down pours. I mostly use gaiters for late season hunting in snow though.

No-Over your existing pair of rain pants to protect them from the cockle-burrs. I bought my gaiters for snow and wet meadows but have since found them most beneficial in desert scrub area's with a lot of burrs and grass seeds and other little nasties.

Any decent, packable pair of rain pants are going to be susceptible to bushwhacking damage.

Sitka cloudburst pants. I love them.

" We designed the Cloudburst Pant with one philosophy on your mind : Miserable weather should never turn hunting into a horrible experience"
Sitka cloudburst pants... rock !
b.png

OP
G
Appreciate the input but those are at least 3 times my budget unless I find them in the classifieds. Sorry should've made that more clear

Appreciate the input but those are at least 3 times my budget unless I find them in the classifieds. Sorry should've made that more clear

Kuiu's got brown Chugach in their bargain area. You won't find a better deal on a better pant as long as your good with brown

TheCougar

WKR
I have the First Lite pants. Not super light, but super bomb-proof and I love the full zip leg feature. KUIU also makes excellent gear. I would recommend both of those.

ofl0926

WKR
I know the brand doesn't get recommended a lot but I just ordered the badlands exo set. I got the new camo but I think they have realtree on clearance. If you order the realtree set, go one size bigger. New camo, order true to size. Check them out