New Products from BCY Fibers

I just got some new samples from BCY.

Powergrip serving, which I hope will work even better for my adjustable string nocks as well as center serving and BCY X string material. BCY X is basically taking the benefits of 452X and 8190 and combining them into one string (83% SK90 Dyneema - 17% Vectran). I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on my results.

IMG_5327.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Yesterday, I twisted up a 20 strand BCY X flemish string. My main goal was to get the final diameter the same size as my current string, which was the old 8125 (before 8125G).

Unfortunately, it came out too large, so I had to try 18 strands. The 18 strands come out perfect in terms of getting the diameters the same.

I tried my best to compare "apples to apples", so I used the same serving, same size silencers and tried to get the overall string weight the same.

bcy4.jpg

I achieved the same diameter. 14 strand old 8125 & 18 strand BCY X.

bcy5.jpg

I also tried to get the overall weight the same. I got really close. 8125 was 168gr and the BCY X was 173gr.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
The first thing that I did notice during the building process was that the fibers stayed intact while twisting. Although it's not the final indication on whether the string will fray, it gives me a good primary indication.

The string did creep less too. Given a 51" string, it creeped just about 1/4" less than the 8125 in the initial string creeping process.

bcy6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Before testing speed, both Staci and I shot a round at our local range. I wanted to ensure that it was shot in.

bcy2.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Then we ran it throughout the chrono. We used Staci's bow for the initial tests. 43lbs @ 27" 470gr arrow.

bcy3.jpg

BCY X 158fps, 159fps, 158fps, 158fps

8125 157fps, 158fps, 158fps, 158fps

I didn't use a shooting machine as I prefer not to. I know collecting the data won't be as accurate but for my personal tests, I like to have my results given from a finger release and have the equipment tuned to my shooting.
What I do to try to maintain consistency is I have Staci off to the side of me and she informs me when I hit my 27" pen mark on the arrow. She tries to make sure that I release on the mark. If not, I won't count the shot.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Pros
Less creep
Use of more strands for guys that prefer "low strand count" strings
Same speed
At this point seems more abrasion resistant, but I'll need to take it hunting to test it out.
No noticeable difference in noise during/after the shot.

Cons
None at this point, unless I decide to change and have to buy new string material. LOL!

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
I also tried the new powergrip serving in .032. I just tried to serve it on the 18 strand BCY X, but because it lays "round" instead of "flat" like my Halo, I'll probably have to go with 16 strands to get the nock fit that I prefer (which is a good thing for guys building skinny string).

I definitely "grips". I'll need to build a new string to see how it feels on the release as compared to my Halo .030.

I did use it for my adjustable string nocks. So far so good, but I didn't shoot it nearly enough to give myself feedback.

bcy7.jpg

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Thank you Dustin! In about a month, I'll be twisting up a set for my new Stalker "prototype" limbs. Should be a fun year of testing a few new products!

Aloha!
Ryan