New Phone and Accessories

It is time to upgrade my phone and I am looking for insight on how different models are working. I use iPhone/Mac. What issues have people had with the newer iPhones? What accessories are working well or not so well? The bigger things that I am looking at is battery life, memory for maps and other downloads.

I would like to find a case that seals the ports up pretty well, like the older KagWerks cases did. Also what car mounts are the best for holding a phone securely? The ones that just magnets are not working out well with our pothole laden roads around here.

I am upgrading from an iPhone7 Plus that has had one battery change and needs another. The 7 Plus is one of the last gens that will be supported on the 5G networks though, for now. I may be willing to switch providers also. I am on US Cell and can have sketchy service now and then. But it seems most carriers are that way, at least in WI.

CB4

WKR
I had US Cell for 15+ years and switched to Verizon 3 years ago and the coverage is 10x better. Plus switching will usually allow you to get a phone really discounted. If you are used to an iPhone I would stick with it. Most people that try and Android go back to an iPhone very quick. I was thinking about getting the wife a new phone for mothers day but will probably wait until her bday and the next iPhone is released. I would spend the money on the Pro versions.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless you’re working in the rain there’s no need for those waterproof cases anymore. They actually cause the phone to get hot.

There are rumors of a iphone 15 ultra, which would possibly be a more durable, higher performance iphone with a larger battery. I’m pushing off my upgrade until September to see if they come out with something interesting.

wyosteve

WKR
I went from a iPhone 6 to a 13 Pro. World of difference. Not one issue in the 1.5 years since I got it. Amazing speed to me and battery life is great. I usually go 2 days or so without recharging. Can't comment on Maps since I don't use it. I went with an Otterbox case again and am pleased. I use ProClip holders in my truck. Attach to the vents without screws or sticky tape.

iPhone 13 has been pretty impressive its battery life is crazy compared to other iPhones I’ve had. I’m on t mobile but wouldn’t recommend them, they basically told my me and me to pound sand when they messed up on our upgrades that cost us money out of pocket. I’d go back to Verizon but they cost a lot more, as far as cases go be careful with the full waterproof ones, my wife’s otter box actually cracked her camera overtime.

ODB

WKR
I’m still on an iPhone 8 with a new battery. Still kicking ass and taking names, er phone calls and texts.

Case-wise I went from a magpul (they kept stretching out and getting loose) and now use a much slimmer one that I like a lot.

I have been looking ar one of those dash-mounted bases for my phones and GPS for my tundra. You have to disassemble the center stack to install it but they look very nice.

Backyard

WKR
Iphone 14 with a Rok•form case and a glass protector. No need to worry about the ports anymore. They seal em up pretty good from Apple now even without a case. But the case is pretty protective and has a few different mounting options as well. Im tough on sh!t and it’s held up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WBrim

WKR
I have the 14 pro max, and am very impressed with battery. Otterbox cases are my go to, but I tried a smaller one this time. It is nice and tight to the phone profile, but I’m not convinced it’s as good as otter box.
The phone is impressive tho, for sure.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I will no longer be using IPHONES anymore after recent light of info, Any other product out there that's worth checking out?

WKR
I will no longer be using IPHONES anymore after recent light of info, Any other product out there that's worth checking out?
What did I miss? Screens getting too big? I had an iphone for a year through work and hated it.