New Pack Goat owner (info appreciated)

nphunter

WKR
So I’m buying Eastmans 3 pack goats and gear that he has listed a few posts below mine.

I have a couple acres, grass/clover/weeds that was a horse pasture, it has a small irrigation ditch and pond as well as an old 3 bay 30 x 10 building. It’s fenced with 4’ woven wire all around.

What are some must haves I need for goats, gear, tools, etc.?

Do in need to get some stuff for them to climb on?

Any advice you wish you knew when starting is appreciated. I plan on stating to get to know them and walk a mile or two every day with them once I pick them up this weekend.

I’ll also talk with the owner about this stuff too when picking them up but figured I’d ask the guys on here that run goats too.

Thanks, I’m very excited to be getting into goats.

I took the day off today to put up about 100’ of fence across the front of the pasture to separate it from my lawn and to get anything I don’t want destroyed out of the pasture.

565998C4-9FAF-4B8F-AEC9-0E65381AA530.jpeg

Bachto

WKR
Learn to trim hooves. They need this done every couple months or so depending on your weather/environment in Oregon. I use an angle grinder with a 60g flap disc. works great.

This is something you don't have to do but it will help. Learn to sew. Making your own gear is a life saver, money saver and just plain fun. A lot of times the bigger goat gear makers are a month out. So if you are in need of something sometimes it's just easier to make it.

Nathan Putnam from NAPGA (North American Pack Goat Assoc.) is the real goat guy. Go to him for high level advice.

I have play structure that also doubles as an extra shelter or shade. Having play structures helps with agility and if you do large rocks will help with keeping their hooves in good shape.

As far as hunting with goats goes, you will have to adjust how you hunt so be ready for that.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Learn to trim hooves. They need this done every couple months or so depending on your weather/environment in Oregon. I use an angle grinder with a 60g flap disc. works great.

This is something you don't have to do but it will help. Learn to sew. Making your own gear is a life saver, money saver and just plain fun. A lot of times the bigger goat gear makers are a month out. So if you are in need of something sometimes it's just easier to make it.

Nathan Putnam from NAPGA (North American Pack Goat Assoc.) is the real goat guy. Go to him for high level advice.

I have play structure that also doubles as an extra shelter or shade. Having play structures helps with agility and if you do large rocks will help with keeping their hooves in good shape.

As far as hunting with goats goes, you will have to adjust how you hunt so be ready for that.

I’ve talked a little with Nathan, I can sew and so can my wife. I think I’m set with gear for now though. Curious what you mean by adjust. I feel like for elk I’m pretty aggressive at calling. Go in calling, breaking branches, raking, rolling rocks etc. I feel like the goats might help with this as long as they’re not crying. I can see them messing up a deer stalk but most of the places I’ll use them for deer are muzzle loader hunting in late Oct. so I think they’ll be fine for that.

I plan on having them haul my backpacking camp. Normally about 35lbs total pack weight so if I’m carrying my water, essentials and pack they will be carrying about 20-25lbs around while we hunt and I plan on just hunting all day and camping where we end up. Is it bad for them to carry a light load all day? Should I be pulling saddles mind day and letting them sit in the shade while action is slow? I really don’t plan to be setting up any kind of base camp unless we find an awesome basin and stay for a couple days.

Bachto

WKR
I’ve talked a little with Nathan, I can sew and so can my wife. I think I’m set with gear for now though. Curious what you mean by adjust. I feel like for elk I’m pretty aggressive at calling. Go in calling, breaking branches, raking, rolling rocks etc. I feel like the goats might help with this as long as they’re not crying. I can see them messing up a deer stalk but most of the places I’ll use them for deer are muzzle loader hunting in late Oct. so I think they’ll be fine for that.

I plan on having them haul my backpacking camp. Normally about 35lbs total pack weight so if I’m carrying my water, essentials and pack they will be carrying about 20-25lbs around while we hunt and I plan on just hunting all day and camping where we end up. Is it bad for them to carry a light load all day? Should I be pulling saddles mind day and letting them sit in the shade while action is slow? I really don’t plan to be setting up any kind of base camp unless we find an awesome basin and stay for a couple days.

I found when archery elk hunting not having their packs on while I was hunting was the best way to go. They sometimes shake to adjust their pack a little and that noise spooked elk. Besides that they sound exactly like elk in the woods. Mine even would rake trees up. It's also different getting used to have animals that no matter what make noise when walking. Some situations call for being quiet and you can't control them or tell them they need to tip toe right now.

Having light loads all day is probably fine. I would take their panniers off during lunch or your mid day rest but you could leave their saddles on.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Hay on the ground isn't a bad thing, happy goat happy life.
Depending on how many you get things can be frustrating. They all have a different personality and they don't all get along.
Loading into whatever vehicle you're using for transport is probably more important than saddle training imo. Water training is another.
Be ready for the highs and lows. Admittedly there will be days that they frustrate the hell out of you and you'll want to throw in the towel.

Attachments

• 20221105_151227.jpg
    20221105_151227.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240501_140927.jpg
    20240501_140927.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 16