New or used for first bow?

I've always been a rifle only guy, but I'm thinking about trying out flinging some sticks this season. I was told to go shoot bows till I found one I liked. So I went to some local shops and shot a few bows, but they all seem pretty much the same with nothing standing out clearly above the others besides looks. The one package bow I tried was not as smooth as the others, but it was considerably cheaper so that makes sense.

My question is, does it make sense to buy a brand new bow for my first bow? Seems like I could save a few hundred by buying used and I'd probably be happy with it because I don't have any experience. I figure if I get a bow from one of the major brands in the correct draw length it should work just fine. Both shops told me I had a 30" draw length.

Does this line of thinking make sense, or am I all fouled up? Is there something I'm missing that makes purchasing a new bow the better route?

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
Nothing wrong with going used as a first bow. You will end up getting a nice bow at a good price, if you end up not liking bow hunting you didn't break the bank. With that said, if you don't know what you are looking for then it will be hard for you to tell if you got a good deal or not, so the onus will be on you to research any and all potential purchase. Don't be afraid to ask here if a potential deal is good or not. Go to archery talk to find good deals and tones of reviews. Like any Internet forum be savey when reading Internet posts to muddle thru the crap to get the good stuf.

Trial153

WKR
Buying a flagship bow that is a couple years old makes a ton of sense....look for a couple companies start have life time transferable warranties too...

Bughalli

WKR
Either way is fine. If money is an issue or you're not a 100% sure you'll stick with the sport then go used for sure. Go top of the line though. Something a few years old is generally 40-50% off if you look in the right places. In my opinion bow technology only changes every 5-6 years, meaning many little things change each year and they add up over time. So by 6 years it adds up to be a good leap forward. Put the money you saved into a quality rest, quiver, sights and release. Folks often get new bows every couple years, the componenets don't typicallychange much, so you'll probably carry them on to your next bow.

After your first year you'll better understand the differences in bows and develope a preference. You will notice big differences. So give it time. Comfort or smoothness doesn't always correlate with price. So your example of the less smooth bow being the cheapest may be a coincidence. I.e. Often speed bows are less smooth or comfortable, still cost a lot. I would avoid a pure speed bow as your first bow. You'll pick up too many bad habits. Test as many as you can. Get a feel for comfort. Read up on models and then watch the classifieds on ArcheryTalk...or maybe eBay. Try to get one in your draw length, as some bows have no adjustability and changing draw length means buying new cams. That kills the cost savings. Ask about the age of the string. They should be changes every 2-3 years and that costs another $100. Also, don't get caught up in draw weight. I would stay in the 50-60lbs range. You can pull more, but learning good form is far more important at this point. A 50lbs bow can kill anything a 70lbs bow can.

Good luck and have fun!

This will be my 4th full season bow hunting. I made the decision to buy used at the beginning because we are young and broke! So, I bought a 10 year old PSE off of Craigslist for $90. It came with CHEAP sights and a whisker biscuit. I tuned it, shot it, and took it hunting. I had a complete pass through on a doe on my first day bow hunting! I made a deal with my wife, if I kill a deer, I could upgrade. I don't think she was thinking it would be that soon.:) I then went to our proshop here and got a great deal on a new previous year Hoyt. If you have the money you may just go with the deal at the shop and skip the $90 Craigslist bow, but the idea is the same; don't invest $1000 in a bow until you know you will justify it through use. That said, as soon as you draw on an animal up close, you are hooked!

LostArra

WKR
Great advice from Bughalli

Just to add another perspective.
I've shot traditional bows only for the past 50 years (I'm 62). Never owned a compound but due to an old surgery-repaired shoulder I decided to look into my first just to insure I will continue to elk hunt in Wyo every fall. Sub 50 pound longbows still work well on Okie deer.

I literally know ZERO about compounds so I read some and got some online advice, waded thru the advertising hype and read the volumes of classified ads on archerytalk. With trad bows I pretty much do it all myself including making some bows but the compound world was a foreign language so the best move I made was driving 35 miles to an archery shop in a small rural town with a good reputation and a large selection of new and used bows. They set up a wide variety of bows both new and used, bargain price and top dollar price, and I shot on their range until I could barely hold my arms up to steer my truck home. They set up my first release. They swapped out modules and cams to get my draw length just right, adjusted peep, sights, got the correct arrows. Needless to say I bought my first compound there that day and while it was not an expensive model, it felt perfect for me and in spite of my horrendous form due to my shoulder problem, I am amazed and confident in it's dead nuts accuracy. The little price difference I spent at the shop vs finding a bow online was worth every single penny for both the service and the opportunity to try so many different bows.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the good advice already given. Buy a good used bow, preferably at a good shop. See what you like and what you would like different before buying new. It is very helpful having a good shop you can go to for help making adjustments, changing strings, etc. and starting that relationship by buying a bow (then potentially a new one in a couple years) can really build strong roots with the shop. I paid more for my new bow because I felt very loyal to the shop that had given me so much help.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
In my last post I meant I paid a little more than I could have online, but had seen the value in the shop relationship.

TheBuzz

FNG
I think what is critical is getting " Fitted" or set-up properly for that first Bow, be it new or used. Ask around, seek out, investigate on line whom maybe the best Pro Shop around your area. Start there.

OP
F
Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I need to find a shop with a good selection of used bows, I definitely want to get set up right from the start. Anyone know of a good shop in central CA that has used bows? There are 2 shops here local to me, but they only had new bows.

Any advice on releases? One of my friends said he wished he had gone thumb release instead of one with a wrist strap.

Thanks again fellas.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As long as you know what your draw length is (not a guess or calculation), and you're of average size, then I would definitely go used. But I would also shoot several different makes of bows to get a feel for what they all feel like. It's when you're LH and 32+ inch draw length when you're kind of stuck buying new. Even new those are about impossible to find on the shelf.

rob_E

FNG
I have a 5 or 6 year old mid grade bow setup for sale if you are interested. It was my set up when I was in your shoes. It is a Reflex Growler 60-70 lb draw weight and adjustable draw length from 26-30 inches the ibo is 313fps. It has everything you need to hunt in a hard case. I'm asking $250.00 and I will split the shipping cost with you. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

73db8f3a7a72f2abc020db22666978a4.jpg

17804cfcbcf7f72b90133685c0c1d900.jpg

husky390

WKR
Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I need to find a shop with a good selection of used bows, I definitely want to get set up right from the start. Anyone know of a good shop in central CA that has used bows? There are 2 shops here local to me, but they only had new bows.

Any advice on releases? One of my friends said he wished he had gone thumb release instead of one with a wrist strap.

Thanks again fellas.

This is what I did, I researched the heck out of bows, shot some new bows, made friends with other guy's at the range and was allowed to shoot their bows and then when I had an idea of what I wanted, I scoured archery talk for the best deal. I snagged a loaded 2013 Elite Answer for under $700 last year which is the bow I had decided on. Try to shoot as many bows as you can before buying. I'm down to two bows now but all of mine were used.

Also, while you're at a Pro shop, ask to try out different releases. If they wont let you, find a better Pro Shop. Releases, like bows, are a personal choice. I use a Tru-Fire Hardcore buckle folder for hunting as it's always attached to me and I don't have to worry about losing it. I just bought a thumb release for my target bow and while I like it much better than a wrist release, I won't carry it in the woods for fear of losing it. Good luck to you.

OR Archer

WKR
I'll play devils advocate a bit here. Be cautious when buying used.

I've had customers bring in bows they picked up used. A lot of times the strings are trashed and need replaced. Some of them are wanting them fitted yet the bow isn't adjustable without purchasing a cam or it just plain wont fit them at all. Even had them bring them in with broken limbs.

They were all new archers like yourself. They just didn't know what to look for. So take your time and if you can take the bow by your local dealer and have them check it out before you purchase it.

Bughalli

WKR
Releases...it's mostly personal preference. I've shot both and saw no difference in my groups. I've shot expensive ones and affordable ones. Not much difference. Accuracy has far, far more to do with form and a bow being in tune., than the release type. You certainly want one. You will see and hear lots of opinions, take it all with a grain of salt (mine as well). Everyone is different. I think a wrist style is a little easier for beginners. There's a little less to think about, feels more secure to the beginner since it's connected to your arm vs the hand, and you're less likely to lose the damn thing in the field. If you go with a wrist release, avoid those with Velcro. Buckles are better. There's nothing worse than when you're hunting, there's no wind and the woods are silent. You go to adjust your wrist strap and that Velcro noise sounds 10x louder as it goes RIPPPP.

Again....shoot a couple and see what feels right. A lot of people won't let you test shoot their bow, but most will let you try their release.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my 4th full season bow hunting. I made the decision to buy used at the beginning because we are young and broke! So, I bought a 10 year old PSE off of Craigslist for $90. It came with CHEAP sights and a whisker biscuit. I tuned it, shot it, and took it hunting. I had a complete pass through on a doe on my first day bow hunting! I made a deal with my wife, if I kill a deer, I could upgrade. I don't think she was thinking it would be that soon.:) I then went to our proshop here and got a great deal on a new previous year Hoyt. If you have the money you may just go with the deal at the shop and skip the $90 Craigslist bow, but the idea is the same; don't invest $1000 in a bow until you know you will justify it through use. That said, as soon as you draw on an animal up close, you are hooked!

Did the same thing! Refused to buy a new bow until I actually shot a deer... did not want to be that guy with the $1000 bow in hand and no deer in the freezer. Shot my first deer with a 20 year old XI legend...it worked just fine. Then upgraded to a Hoyt that summer.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I jumped into archery it was because of my kiddo. A new shop opened up near the house and they had a Ram logo. Being a sucker for cool ram logos the son and I swung in to check it out. Kiddo got WAY excited about bows, so like any good Dad, I set up lessons for him. After a few lessons and lots of big grins we bought him a Fuse bow. After hanging out during lessons I demo'd a bow and got hooked. Almost 5 years later and we have 7 bows in the garage.

With that said, most of my buddies are rifle hunters so I'm trying to branch out and get a real bow hunt in. You know, one where the guy with the rifle quits shooting everything before I can get in range!! :)

My wife and oldest son both shoot Mission bows. These are fantastic, adjustable bows, that grow with their skills. (Nov - Jan is a great time to score a deal, as shops are clearing inventory for the new stuff.) My 6 year old daughter shoots a pink camo Bear Archery bow we picked up at the Cabela's Bargain cave for a screaming deal. My 3 year old shoots a Fuse Archery bow he inherited from the oldest. I set up a target in the garage and it helps get us through the long winters. :)

So what's my point? For us, Archery is not just shooting a bow. In my experience the more you get involved the more it turns into a community / culture. A good shop is the foundation of this experience. Its a hangout, a place for advice, and a must have for a newbie. You don't need the fanciest bow on the market for your first bow, something from Mission or even the intro Hoyt Ruckus / Bowtech Fuel are more than enough bows for those starting out. Even better they come in packages to help make the transition simpler. I wasted some money as I evolved into the sport, if I had just stuck with the shop from the beginning and been content with a using a starter bow at the get go I'd be dollars and time ahead.. :) My shop usually has a used bow or two for sale and if you ask around someone there is always looking to upgrade.

Of course Weapons Month is just around the corner here on Rokslide.. Rumor has it there just might be some good info / giveaways / ??? etc. :)

When I jumped into archery it was because of my kiddo. A new shop opened up near the house and they had a Ram logo. Being a sucker for cool ram logos the son and I swung in to check it out. Kiddo got WAY excited about bows, so like any good Dad, I set up lessons for him. After a few lessons and lots of big grins we bought him a Fuse bow. After hanging out during lessons I demo'd a bow and got hooked. Almost 5 years later and we have 7 bows in the garage.

With that said, most of my buddies are rifle hunters so I'm trying to branch out and get a real bow hunt in. You know, one where the guy with the rifle quits shooting everything before I can get in range!! :)

My wife and oldest son both shoot Mission bows. These are fantastic, adjustable bows, that grow with their skills. (Nov - Jan is a great time to score a deal, as shops are clearing inventory for the new stuff.) My 6 year old daughter shoots a pink camo Bear Archery bow we picked up at the Cabela's Bargain cave for a screaming deal. My 3 year old shoots a Fuse Archery bow he inherited from the oldest. I set up a target in the garage and it helps get us through the long winters. :)

So what's my point? For us, Archery is not just shooting a bow. In my experience the more you get involved the more it turns into a community / culture. A good shop is the foundation of this experience. Its a hangout, a place for advice, and a must have for a newbie. You don't need the fanciest bow on the market for your first bow, something from Mission or even the intro Hoyt Ruckus / Bowtech Fuel are more than enough bows for those starting out. Even better they come in packages to help make the transition simpler. I wasted some money as I evolved into the sport, if I had just stuck with the shop from the beginning and been content with a using a starter bow at the get go I'd be dollars and time ahead.. :) My shop usually has a used bow or two for sale and if you ask around someone there is always looking to upgrade.

Of course Weapons Month is just around the corner here on Rokslide.. Rumor has it there just might be some good info / giveaways / ??? etc. :)

x2 on all of this. I'll never buy a new bow again.

OP
F
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to get out this weekend and shoot some more bows and report back. Still looking for a shop that has used/consignment bows. For some reason I seem to be in a dead zone as far as that is concerned.