New mountain rifle: Kimber Adirondack 6.5 Creedmoor

The 147 are the match eldm not the eldx. Not completely sure of the difference other than the eldx bullet having a locking ring like an interlock, but I would be more inclined to use the 143 eldx rather than the 147 eldm on game.

They don't have cannelures on either the ELDM or ELDX. The difference primarily is jacket thickness. The M is a thinner jacket. X is the hunting bullet version. The 175 ELDX in .284 had vastly different jacket thickness making accuracy nearly impossible to achieve. Only the SST's have a cannelure. You are correct however that the 147 is an ELDM not an ELDX. They do have a 143 ELDX. I agree with your sentiments in using the ELDM on game although the same can be said about the Berger Hybrid bullets and Sierra Match Kings. Both are considered target/match bullets but perform exceptionally well on game at distance. I've personally harvested many animals with the Berger Hybrids. I have some 180 ELDM's that I'm working up loads for right now that I may try on bear in the coming days but I'm very hesitant given it's not a proven game bullet just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Huh. I have personally shot 175 ELDX at just over a mile so accuracy isn't impossible to achieve I guess.....

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
They don't have cannelures on either the ELDM or ELDX. The difference primarily is jacket thickness. The M is a thinner jacket. X is the hunting bullet version. The 175 ELDX in .284 had vastly different jacket thickness making accuracy nearly impossible to achieve. Only the SST's have a cannelure. You are correct however that the 147 is an ELDM not an ELDX. They do have a 143 ELDX. I agree with your sentiments in using the ELDM on game although the same can be said about the Berger Hybrid bullets and Sierra Match Kings. Both are considered target/match bullets but perform exceptionally well on game at distance. I've personally harvested many animals with the Berger Hybrids. I have some 180 ELDM's that I'm working up loads for right now that I may try on bear in the coming days but I'm very hesitant given it's not a proven game bullet just yet.

This is incorrect- the ELD-X bullets do have an Interlock ring.

The ELD-M's perform well terminally- maybe spectacularly depending upon ones viewpoint.

This is incorrect- the ELD-X bullets do have an Interlock ring.

The ELD-M's perform well terminally- maybe spectacularly depending upon ones viewpoint.

I never said they didn't have an interlocking ring. I said that don't have cannelure. I mistakenly thought that's what the OP was referring to. You are correct the X had interlock

WKR
We took the extra 30 minutes and skim bedded the lug and the first inch of the barrel channel on a Adirondack in 7mm-08. It is shooting 168 berger hunters into .5 moa pretty consistently out to 500 yards. Very easy tweak with some car wax, blue tape and a little JB weld. With your 6.5 creedmoor shooting so well, probably not necessary, but an easy deal.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in the 143ELDX and just picked up a box to load up, but reading reviews guys are experiencing quite a few jacket/core separations(?)

cooperjd

WKR
have you looked at prime ammo? they make a 130gr load for the 6.5CM and .260rem. i picked up a box for my .260, but sold the rifle without firing it. i'll be getting more prime when my t/c dimension 6.5cm barrel gets in stock and ordered. norma brass and norma bullets, so its a cheap way to shoot the gun and get some quality brass for reloading.

gdog i only know one guy personally that used the eldx out of his 6.5creed last year on a mule deer, and will not be using them again. said the bullet blew apart. your results may vary...

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
gdog i only know one guy personally that used the eldx out of his 6.5creed last year on a mule deer, and will not be using them again. said the bullet blew apart. your results may vary...

Hearing of similar stories. Going to skip the ELDX's for now. I like the idea of the Barnes LRX or TTSX, but those are on the other end of the spectrum with reports of not opening up enough at velocities the 6.5 CM will be at longer ranges (400-500 yards). Need to try the Accubonds as well.

cooperjd

WKR
Hearing of similar stories. Going to skip the ELDX's for now. I like the idea of the Barnes LRX or TTSX, but those are on the other end of the spectrum with reports of not opening up enough at velocities the 6.5 CM will be at longer ranges (400-500 yards). Need to try the Accubonds as well.

i'll be trying the prime with their hollow point bullets, i think its the norma golden something or other bullet... and i have some 130gr accubonds on the reloading bench waiting for some hollow brass... the owner of prime called me after my first order to thank me. he said lots of elk had been taken at pretty long range with those bullets, but i have nothing to go on but his words.

KurtR

WKR
i shot 4 whitetails with the 143 last year from 80 to 400 ish yards and it performed like i expected. My kid shot a doe in the shoulder at 50 ish and i thought thor hit it with a lightning bolt. I have not seen any problems with it from the others guys killing stuff to. I still have a few hundred 140 amax left and i have killed alot of stuff with them

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Sure. Which part?

Regarding the performance of the ELD-M on an animal. Curious what your experience is with it and if you prefer to the eldx. My Caribou above was with match grade ammo. Performed great. It was a pass through and I wasn't able to recover the bullet though.