New Mexico Unit 50

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Got lucky (maybe!?) after drawing unit 50 for second season archery in the New Mexico this year.

It will be my second elk hunt, and second backpack hunt solo.

Ive got a couple spots marked, but haven’t done enough research to ask any specific questions, but if anyone has experience in that area and would be willing to let me reach out when I need to it would be greatly appreciated!

Without the help and guidance from a couple guys on here last year I would never have been able to get into a couple elk.

Thanks in advance!

mike123

FNG
Unit 50 is a marginal elk unit in nm but it does hold elk and you do have a realistic chance to kill a 270-300" bull if you do your homework and are in good shape. Most of the hunters will gravitate towards the same areas but we have always done well going where others arent. Look for the pockets where elk have food, water, cover , and no roads within a mile and you will find the elk in unit 50. Good luck!

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Hope I don't burst your bubble but nothing about unit 50 is "backcountry". Roads, legal and illegal, crisscross the unit and will be used regularly.

I don't mean to discourage you and elk are certainly there to be found. The hunt just might not live up to the style of hunt you're hoping.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly appreciate the reality checks, but I don’t have an expectation of this being a trophy/elk behind every tree hunt by any stretch of the imagination. This will be my second elk hunt ever, and I’m just looking for new experiences, new territory, and a chance at bringing home some elk meat.

Most of the research I have done before putting this on my tag application was that it is not a easy hunt, some resident elk but typically winter range .

I’m having trouble finding the trifecta spots that are away from the road ( or at least away from what seems to be the most recommended/popular mountain), food/cover, and water.

I haven’t been able to put enough time pouring over maps or talking to anyone to get discouraged yet though!

Looks like four posters here on this thread have hunted unit 50. I'm headed to this unit next week. Honestly, even though I'm an experienced elk hunter, this unit has me a bit nervous.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dtrkyman

WKR
I have not spent much time in that unit but have in nearby units. Do not rule out places that look like they would not hold out, some of those sage pinion juniper flats will have elk and maybe not too many hunters.

drewgttu

FNG
I hunted this unit second archery in 2020. Did not tag out but saw elk every day. I was in the northern part of the unit, but talked with a guy that saw some on the more central/southern side where the national forest is. Similar to what was said above, they are also in the pinion juniper flats.

Pot mountain is mentioned a lot and no doubt you will see other hunters but we had no issues. Check the watering holes, you can find them from Google Earth.

Very tough archery hunt, good luck!