New Mexico Unit 16C!

S.Tx

FNG
My cousin and I drew the first archery hunt in unit 16C!!! We have hunted archery hunted in Wy, Co, and Or, and I did the muzzy hunt in NM unit 36 a few times, but the Gila is new to us. Dont have any experience with waterholes, and the monsoon!

Anybody have any general advice on the unit?

OP
S

S.Tx

FNG
My cousin and I drew the first archery hunt in unit 16C!!! We have hunted archery hunted in Wy, Co, and Or, and I did the muzzy hunt in NM unit 36 a few times, but the Gila is new to us. Dont have any experience with waterholes, and the monsoon!

Anybody have any general advice on the unit?

Looks like it might continue to be a wetter than average year. If its still wet in early Sept., will hunting waterholes still be productive????

JPD350

WKR
Waterholes can always be productive even during wet times because they will hit them regardless but I think it is more important to find bedding and feeding areas, you will have to find the preferred feeding areas since there will be food everywhere (not easy without boots on the ground). Once you have these two elements figured out place the tanks in the picture and you will figure out their early season patterns, I like to hangout away from the tanks in the junction areas that pop up when I place all the elements on the map. Early season big bulls will still be sitting back in their bedrooms watching and waiting, once you figure out the cows you will be able to find the bulls bedrooms, usually you will hear them calling from their bedroom early morning, they are letting cows and other bulls know where they are. If it is dry then the zones just tighten up and waterholes get hit with more frequency, I still like to hangout on the travel corridors and not on the tanks.

dashj7

FNG
I have a few years of the Gila from elk to deer. My last elk hunt was unit 16B in 2013. Rained night and day with little rut activity. Kicked my tail. I talked to my buddy yesterday and they turkey hunted the same area and scouted for more water holes. He found 3 more great tanks not on any maps or unnoticeable from Google. My advise would be 1) pre scout water and 2)be observant of the elk and there activities. New wallows are made nightly if it is that wet. I love the Gila but watch out for UFO's!

OP
S

S.Tx

FNG
I have a few years of the Gila from elk to deer. My last elk hunt was unit 16B in 2013. Rained night and day with little rut activity. Kicked my tail. I talked to my buddy yesterday and they turkey hunted the same area and scouted for more water holes. He found 3 more great tanks not on any maps or unnoticeable from Google. My advise would be 1) pre scout water and 2)be observant of the elk and there activities. New wallows are made nightly if it is that wet. I love the Gila but watch out for UFO's!

So do you think the Bulls will just wallow anywhere after wet weather, or go back to their usual wallows (first two weeks of September)?

That would be a tough question to answer. Moisture does tend to change things. A bull can make a new wallow anywhere it is wet. However, elk tend to rut in the same places from year to year unless something happens to move them out. The last several year have been rough with all the fires and record monsoons. I have never hunted C, but it is a roaded unit. Finding a secret spot will be difficult. Usually, hunters that get off the beaten path do better, and will have less human company, than hunters that stay close to trails and such. I'll be hunting in B this year. With all of the early spring rain, it could turn out to be a banner year for antler growth! Good luck to you.