New Mexico fall black bear, non resident 2022

I somehow lucked out this year and drew an early fall (August) New Mexico bear tag as a non resident. This will be my first bear hunt as well as my first time to hunt New Mexico. The 2 units available are 54 and 55A in zone 5 at the northeastern corner of the state just west of Raton. No baiting allowed so it will be a spot and stalk. My plan as of now is to make a trip up there within the next couple months to scout the area and gain as much info as I can before I start organizing and packing up for the hunt.

If anyone has hunted this area or has any general info on access or strategy, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

dtrkyman

WKR
Water and Acorns, should be a fair amount of bears in those units! I should have a biologists info I can get you, let me look for it.

Raton is a beautiful area, the Cimarron flows near there, amazing place, bring a fly rod.

OP
Penick.Cameron
Water and Acorns, should be a fair amount of bears in those units! I should have a biologists info I can get you, let me look for it.

Raton is a beautiful area, the Cimarron flows near there, amazing place, bring a fly rod.
Thanks! I sent an email to a Rick

Thanks for the heads up! I sent an email to a Rick Winslow who I believe is the bear and cougar biologist for NMDGF. Waiting for a reply but if you’re happen to have another contact, I’d gladly put it to use. According to gohunt, I’ll be limited to the 3 WMAs in units 54 and 55A. Urraca, E.S. Barker and Collin Neblett as well as Valle Vidal. I’ve seen a couple comments saying it’s not worth drawing the tag if you’re not going with hounds or a guide. I guess we’ll see!

OP
Penick.Cameron
Well, I’ll have to tell you in a couple weeks. I’m headed there the 18th. Just e scouting till then

dtrkyman

WKR
Valle Vidal is worth a trip bear or not. Pure Rio Grande cutthroats for a bonus! If they got the moisture over there we have then there should be plenty of acorns.

Keep scoping that oak brush and you should turn up a bear I would think.

You are not confined to those units. Your license is good on any BMZ that is open. You drew an entry permit that allows to to hunt those draw units.

OP
Penick.Cameron
Any updates?
Unfortunately, the only bear I saw the whole 8 days I was there was a cub that darted across the road at sundown within the first 15 minutes I was in the unit. I scouted several different areas, found some tracks, scat and bone piles but I never could put eyes on another one.

180ls1

WKR
Unfortunately, the only bear I saw the whole 8 days I was there was a cub that darted across the road at sundown within the first 15 minutes I was in the unit. I scouted several different areas, found some tracks, scat and bone piles but I never could put eyes on another one.
Bummer. I am sure the country was beautiful at least!

OP
Penick.Cameron
Bummer. I am sure the country was beautiful at least!
It was amazing! I didn’t see anyone for 30 miles on either side of me until the last day I was there. There were some guys that came in to the campground I was at with their horses since a few of the spots had corrals.