New Mexico Draw

Don't hate me.... and I don't know how on earth I got so lucky, but drew Unit 34 Muzzleloader. My first year ever putting in for the draw in NM. This kind of luck is highly unusual for me..... just hope I don't blow the opportunity and screw it up!

Don't hate me.... and I don't know how on earth I got so lucky, but drew Unit 34 Muzzleloader. My first year ever putting in for the draw in NM. This kind of luck is highly unusual for me..... just hope I don't blow the opportunity and screw it up!

Congrats, that’s awesome and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! I think they give preference to first time applicants bc most seem to have good luck drawing but after that it’s all downhill.. enjoy your hunt

Back in 2007 when I first applied for NM elk, we put in 16a archery as a three person party and drew the tag. I swear your best chance to draw is your first year. Since then I have drawn one elk tag (2017) but it wasn’t nearly as low of odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! I think they give preference to first time applicants bc most seem to have good luck drawing but after that it’s all downhill.. enjoy your hunt[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does seem like 1st timers have far better luck. 1st rock of crack is free! Get you hooked, then you apply every year trying to get that 1st high feeling back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In-stater, didn't draw elk even though I applied for a 75%+ unit. I did draw a OIL on-range Oryx tag though, on my first try. Maybe there is something to the theory that first time applicants get preference. Wish it worked for sheep!

I called last Friday, fish cop said it would be early June. They sounded annoyed with me but I was just checking, I would hate to have missed a deadline or something.

I was fortunate enough to draw a 36 rifle tag which will be my first elk hunt. Saying I'm pretty happy is an understatement.

I was fortunate enough to draw a 36 rifle tag which will be my first elk hunt. Saying I'm pretty happy is an understatement.
The Lincoln can produce for ya if you do your part.....Congrats on your draw and good luck with your hunt!

Not to be a Debby downer but you might want to look up the three rivers fire and the associated closures. Hopefully they're lifted by rifle season, but remain for archery and mz. Haha.

Not to be a Debby downer but you might want to look up the three rivers fire and the associated closures. Hopefully they're lifted by rifle season, but remain for archery and mz. Haha.
Well...could be a blessing or a curse. Hope for the best and that the wilderness opens back up before season. Thanks for letting me know about this!

I have a 16B rifle tag this year and a unit 16 FAD tag. I see that the Johnson fire is really cooking down there and all the locals I've talked to say it's dry as a bone. In the old days the late summer monsoons would put that out if it was anything like it has been for the last 100 years before this drought hit but now maybe things are different? We've got tags but will they let us hunt?

I was actually wondering when a few of these really dry units were gonna burn again. At least it’s happening now and not in august

White mountain wilderness opened back up other than the three rivers burn scar so that’s a good sign. Keep the rain coming

Back