New Low for California

jspradley

WKR
Jesus... so stupid.
I have to wonder if things would have turned out differently had he not tampered with the collar, seems like that's where he screwed up.

Takem

WKR
^^This is exactly what I was thinking. Not a good start after the incident occurred.

Steep penalties either way.

“It was ultimately determined that the mountain lion died of a gunshot wound to the head,”

Rock solid police work CA! How many monkeys and how much money did it take to finally come to that conclusion?

jspradley

WKR
Yeah, obviously we can't say for sure what would have happened had he not tampered with the collar but it seems to me like he got on the wrong side of trying to hide the truth from the game warden... they really don't like that.

Azone

WKR
As everyone else has stated he should have just called the warden and explained what happened. I believe the punishment was very excessive, but its California, land of bleeding heart morons.
What do we expect to happen, some DA to understand that somebody made a decision that had possible life or death consequences that was in defense and the best interest of children?
Forget about it, this is whack job utopia out here, common sense takes a backseat.

rob86jeep

WKR
I wouldn't blame CA for what happened, the guy messed up. Like what has already been said, he cut the collar off. That means he's either not very smart or trying to cover up the situation (aka crime). The article said the lion was "yards" from kids; that means it could have been 300 yards... Theres a reason why the defense didn't use the actual number. Think about it in terms of an out of season bear in any other state. What if somebody killed a bear simply because it was "close" to children? You can't kill an animal unless you or someone else is in danger, not just because it's wandering too close.

Mmmmm. My read of that article is that he cut it off. Seems like there were plenty of people aware that he shot the thing and it was near a kids camp. Unless I heard some more information on the “tampering” component, I feel like this is a bit excessive.

Sure, he probably should have called wildlife to begin with and sure he probably should have left the carcass undisturbed and called wildlife but 30 days seems like a lot.

87TT

WKR
Deserved what e got for criminal stupidity, IMO. Should have shot and shut up and walked away. It's CA! 30 day "work release" is just community service, not jail time anyway. I would have taken regular time. With overcrowding from the "prison re alignment", he wouldn't do any time anyway.. Possession of heroin or a stolen gun is just a ticket.