New KUIU pieces

OP
Nick Muche
Jason said on the KUIU blog that it will be a bit noisy, which is fine since it this is meant to be an insulation layer. He also stated that if you are wearing it as your outer layer, you run the risk of tearing it up...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I really want is a sleeping bag made of that new quik down stuff...that would be worth the money IMO.
+1 The weight savings would be amazing...

Also am intrigued by the pullover.. Sure same some weight over my MontBell Thermawrap Parka......

Here is a picture of the inside of the new 230 Zip-T.

The inside is soft and exactly as adverstised. I have the old 250 Zip and this 230 is certainly different in feel and weight. It should be a nice addition to the layering system. Time will tell if it retains the merino wool characteristics and does not end up smelling after a few days.

230Zip-T2.jpg

Gman

WKR
dan how warm is it? Trying to think what a good scale would be to answer this question but does it have the same warmth properties as a thin fleece shirt or is it warmer?

swat8888

WKR
According to the Kuiu blogs they are in fact working on a quix down sleeping bag. Hopefully the price tag isn't outrageous on it.

Gman,

I usually wear a north face fleece pullover to layer up with. This seems like it will be comparable in heat retention. Definately warmer than the 250.
Hard for me to give it a scale on warmth. Probably would have fit in very well on your goat hunt! Not as bulky as my north face pullover.

Lawnboi

WKR
It looks really good. I hope some of the durability characteristics of poly will also help that piece. Im sick of tearing up wool, its pretty fragile compared to poly. I may try the 230 though, i need some new wool.

One thing im glad to see is pockets! for that reason alone ill go with kuiu for wool. I usually end up hunting or hiking, or fishing in just my base layers alot of the time and i always think how nice it would be to have a small pocket for stuff

I would pass on a kuiu sleeping bag, not to mention the price will probably be through the roof, and im all but done with down for everything. Although its hard to argue with that super down jacket! I may try one. Id like to see how the waterproofing on the down holds up though before i purchase. I have not heard anything about how long this water repellent coating on the down is supposed to last.

However two things id really like to see from them would be a dermizax bivy and a short trail running style gaiter made of the guide or even attack pant fabric.

Chris D

FNG
For sleeping bags that contain "super down" check out Big Agnes or Sierra Design. They both use a similer product to "super down" I don't remember the pricing, but I don't think they were in the $600-$700 doller range

chris <><

the kuius are made of toray and have a bit of a stretchy property to them plus toray is suppose to be way up the in the breathable/waterproof index...
replaceable staps.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had my new 230 shirt for 2+ weeks. Worn it up to 4 days in a row with no stink and it is warmer than the 250 Merino. The polyester inside is very comfortable, soft and the shirt has a very athletic cut to it. Another well designed piece by KUIU.

Mike7

WKR
However two things id really like to see from them would be a dermizax bivy and a short trail running style gaiter made of the guide or even attack pant fabric.
Lawnboi, the OR trail gaiters (?Flex-Tex) seem to be more waterproof than the Attack Pant material anyway and work pretty well in mildy wet conditions or in fairly dry snow (they're just like the REI trail gaiters that Aron wears but they come in various sizes). My attack pants are absolutely waterproof in pouring rain...but as soon as you walk through wet brush or kneel down, they wet through completely below the knees unlike the trail gaiters (which is fine because this part of my legs is where my gaiters are covering my socks underneath anyway).

The 230 shirt sounds interesting. I love my 250 Merino shirt though...I was just hoping to be able to wear a Kuiu "attack shirt" over the 250 as needed for damp-cooler-brushier conditions that don't quite rate putting on a rain jacket.