New KUIU Mountain Star Tent video from Expo

If you re-read my post you'll see I bought Tarptent's $7. Seam sealer kit. It was convenient. Otherwise the tent woulda been just under $400.

Mainly I was pointing out Kuiu doesn't need to provide one because it is so easy to come up with all items necessary to seam seal from your local hardware store when you asked if they had one.

I was able to get a good look at the Mountain Star as the sheep show this year and chat with Jason about it as well.

Keep in mind that I have no field use with this shelter, but here's my thoughts.

First off, I would guess the tent height is in the 39-40" range, as the MS has some similarities to the MSR Hubba Hubba. I've used the Hubba Hubba and Hubba a great deal, so looking at the MS for the first time I could see the original concept came from that.

So a quick description of the Mountain Star would be; it's a Hubba Hubba with a lot more thinking involved in the final design/product. The poles and pole system is a much better final product than what MSR offers and having the poles attach to the outside is always the best way to go.

With the MSR and Big Agnes models, the poles will attach directly to the inner tent and the fly goes on top of that. That's not a horrible design, but doing it that way really sucks in high wind.

From looking at the outer shell of the MS, I'm going to bet that it's tougher than the 20D shell that MSR offers, and that was one issue I had with the original Hubba (durability in rough conditions). I can't say how the Mountain Star will do in high wind or snow load conditions (only looked at it inside a building), but again, I bet the fly is tougher than the Big Agnes and MSR models.

I noticed someone mentioned seam sealer, but unless I missed something, you're not going to need to seam seal the Mountain Star........

Someone also mentioned the vestibule size, so I'm going to take another guess and say that they're the same size of the Hubba Hubba. That means you've got decent room on both entries for cooking or gear. Keep in mind that most 2 person tents are tight for two guys (from any manufacturer), but the Mountain Star does have dual entries and dual vestibules......and that's a big help for broke back mountain phobia:)

The guys at Kuiu would need to comment on the final dimensions and the amount of testing in high winds/snow load, but the upgrades (when compared to the MSR) make perfect sense and would be exactly what I would have done as well.

Several guys asked me on PM's about the differences between a 3 and 4 season tent....and what a 3.5 season tent is as well. I will cover the differences between a 3 and 4 season tent in another thread so we don't hijack this one.

Hope this helps, and again, this is just my thoughts from seeing the tent at the sheep show.

Thanks Aron. Good design but I am not compelled to run out and buy their first crack at a tent. Will probably let them figure it out for a few years first.

I noticed someone mentioned seam sealer, but unless I missed something, you're not going to need to seam seal the Mountain Star........

I froze the video at 51 seconds and see plenty of seams, why would you not need to seal them? I thought that was SOP on all UL tents Aron. What don't I know?

I can't get in touch with anyone at Kuiu, but I'll post up the exact specs as soon as I find them out.

thanx.... i was in park city ut during the show but was doing family stuff so didnt run down to the expo. your description intrigues me further as i really like my msr products but want more in the tent design. this seems to fit the bill at a better cost than a hilleberg for my style. been on the fence on a jannu but its heavy for my desired use, the kuiu seems to have a compramise with cost and function that would be acceptable, time will tell or others that have used this system?

Maybe Mandarin oranges.

stock-photo-green-apple-and-mandarin-orange-isolated-on-white-40293247.jpg

Kuiu at $449 + 7.5% sales tax and identical $19. shipping would total $501.67...it's $100. more. Does Kuiu even offer a seam sealer kit?

I wouldn't pay 25% more for a Kuiu but then, I have a problem with Kuiu's recent new product blitz. Sleeping bags, tents, all the while changing their clothing line. Sounds like they are trying to garner sales from fanboys instead of focusing on their base. I could be wrong.

Seems to be a common issue, but heres the same answer........If you don't want it, or don't like, don't buy it. Pretty simple...

Several questions regarding the tent specifications have been asked. KUIU will release all technical specifications next month when we officially launch the product on KUIU Live. Invitations to the event will be posted on the Rokslide forum.

the tent looks nice.

i borrow a buddies Sierra Design tent from time to time. love clipping on poles from the outside.!! so fast, and you can do it with a headlamp set at Low.

the Kuiu..any thoughts on how you hang that nest from the inside? set up the fly, and crawl in to clip in the nest? it looks taut in the video..

maybe i just need to drop in the store and suss it out.

and comparing this tent to that Tarptent thing..the discussion really should end at cost..beside being able to spend cash on either shelter, the similiarities are non-existent..okay..they are both "shelters". i'll give you that.

the tent looks nice.

i borrow a buddies Sierra Design tent from time to time. love clipping on poles from the outside.!! so fast, and you can do it with a headlamp set at Low.

the Kuiu..any thoughts on how you hang that nest from the inside? set up the fly, and crawl in to clip in the nest? it looks taut in the video..

maybe i just need to drop in the store and suss it out.

and comparing this tent to that Tarptent thing..the discussion really should end at cost..beside being able to spend cash on either shelter, the similiarities are non-existent..okay..they are both "shelters". i'll give you that.

I think that like the Hilleberg design, the nest or inner mesh is already connected to the fly when you set it up. So you just stake out the corners of the tent, connect the poles at the corner, connect the clips and you're done.

I think that like the Hilleberg design, the nest or inner mesh is already connected to the fly when you set it up. So you just stake out the corners of the tent, connect the poles at the corner, connect the clips and you're done.

slapping forehead now!! thanks!!

Back