New KUIU Mountain Star Tent video from Expo

Looking forward to seeing more on this.

You dont have to pitch a traditional tent with a fly in the rain to many times before you start considering an external pole model. And I like that its free standing. Big plus in my book.

Snyd

WKR
Screen hut with a fly and they call it 3.5 season tent?? huh?? Sounds like marketing and looks more like 2 season from that regard. For 450 bucks it should have seams and sewing like the Hillebergs that don't need ANY seam sealing. I've had my Hilleberg in lots of hard driving rain and days of drizzle and it has never leaked a drop, ever. Seams are not sealed or taped and don't need to be because of the way it's sewn together.

Does it have a lifetime guarantee?

Having said that, if it's water tight from the factory and the hook/pole system is robust enough to handle 50+ winds, and if it has a lifetime guarantee, they might have something. Especially nowadays with the ultralight craze and the cool graphics. That sells lots of stuff. A guy just needs to realize its a screen with a fly. Not a "double wall tent" so to speak. Might be a little drafty and not much heat retention in that "third and a half" season for a week.

kodiakfly

WKR
That's kinda where I'm at. I'm rocking a full four season, double wall MH right now and need to lighten that up. So it's going to be an EV2 or this tent. They're really not comparable as far as features other than being external poles. But it's either go overboard and heavier with a proven ten and maybe not breathe well, or go "almost" 4 season with a lighter, new tent and maybe get a little drafty.

I'd pay cash to hear some real-world testing in aggressive conditions in this thing.

be nice since you can pre order this if they would put out more info on this. is it packed weight they are claiming ? etc...... i really do not care if its kuiu, msr or whatever for the terrain and elevations i mainly stay in i like this design. free standing tents are great in mixed terrain, i appreciate them when going to unknown spots where i am unsure of ground, they give more flexability in locations to pitch for my liking. the exterior pole design as well as ceiling vents are what i wish msr would put out as a option, wish the poles were DAC's for the same reasons i do not have a carbon fiber bike, nor tri pod, although i have carbon fiber trekking poles witch are easton witch have saved my life on a river crossing this winter so that may change my thought about carbon fiber in some cases. for now i prefer side entry. so many options with somewhat similar design but most still lack what they could be with simple tweaking in design. hilleberg is great option from reputation, for some reason i find myself still looking. i think this looks great for cost/design. seems to be a far better design than tents such as a msr hubb nx for little more $ the 2 man version of this is only $60.00 more than the msr nx model. similar weight, much better design. i can appreciate tarps and teepees for certain use but searching for something like this for backcountry skiing, hunting, mountaineering in washington, not mt everest.

Last edited: