NEW! Kowa Prominar TSN-55A Review ***Updated 7/28/24***

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, why not include the original Kowa 55? Be nice to see if the improvements are that substancial to upgrade, to me fov is the biggest issue but I’m thinking the eyepiece upgrade will add some improvement all around but how much?
I don't have the Gen 1 for comparison, but I should be able to extrapolate some differences using my prior comparison with the ATC.

Mrtoyz

FNG
Picked up the STC. Got to spend a few hours glassing and comparing with an ATS (20-50). Wow. Totally surprised how well it did. I honestly do not think it gave up anything. I will say though, I did not do low light comparisons. I swear to god the STC had ever so slightly more FOV that the ATS, which doesn’t make sense. I’m happy.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Picked up the STC. Got to spend a few hours glassing and comparing with an ATS (20-50). Wow. Totally surprised how well it did. I honestly do not think it gave up anything. I will say though, I did not do low light comparisons. I swear to god the STC had ever so slightly more FOV that the ATS, which doesn’t make sense. I’m happy.
No need to swear ... ;)

The ATC IS wider than the ATS. I assume you meant the 25-50 WA eyepiece on the ATS you compared.

The linear FOV of the ATC is 186 ft. (17x) to 102 ft. (40x) at 1000 yards while the ATS with 25-50 is 126 ft. (25x) to 81 ft. (50x) at 1000 yards.

Of course the ATC does have less magnification through the range however.

Just got my 55s from S&S today and am very very impressed as an initial reaction. The field of view is night and day better than my previous 553 with what seems to be an improved image overall and certainly better edge to edge clarity. Looks great throughout the zoom range all the way to 40x. It is very comfortable to sit behind for long periods of time with a noticeably nicer eye relief and more forgiving eye box than the 553. Looking forward to testing it more, but I am very happy with it so far.

Watching this ! Can’t wait —- I’ll likely be getting the kowa just for the fine focus ( I love the focus system on kowa)

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone found a comparison between this and the 66? Trying to decide between the two

I didn’t have them side-by-side, but I have tested both.

Both Kowa spotters are at the top of their class. The 66 has the advantage in magnification and low light, while the 55 has the advantage of portability.

Evaluate your priorities and choose accordingly.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
Is the increased fov such an upgrade that the decreased magnification (45x-40x)and increase in weight (28oz-35oz)are not a concern?
I'm weighing this option against the 553/554 as they are on huge discount right now. Im not super experienced w compact spotters and don't have access to these to test before trying.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Is the increased fov such an upgrade that the decreased magnification (45x-40x)and increase in weight (28oz-35oz)are not a concern?
I'm weighing this option against the 553/554 as they are on huge discount right now. Im not super experienced w compact spotters and don't have access to these to test before trying.
The difference in max magnification is pretty small. The difference in FOV is huge.

The difference is like looking out a window vs. looking through a tube.

The 553 is still a sharp, well-corrected scope. The weight savings are substantial. At the current discounts it is a great deal.

This choice is like many in the optics world: The new 55A is the better scope. The discounted 553 is the better value.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
@Matt Cashell
Anymore thoughts on eye relief and how it feels to you? I just want the most comfortable forgiving eye box I can have. Both of them have things I like. Decisions..

Any problems with the small mounting foot on the swaro?

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt Cashell
Anymore thoughts on eye relief and how it feels to you? I just want the most comfortable forgiving eye box I can have. Both of them have things I like. Decisions..

Any problems with the small mounting foot on the swaro?
Great questions.

I did test the eye relief and I found the two scopes to be similar. Swarovski advertises 20mm eye relief, which is pretty long for scopes like these. The Kowa is only advertised as having "generous" eye relief. In practical use they are very similar in eye relief. Not difficult to get a full FOV without glasses, and suitable with glasses, but not anywhere as forgiving as a folded light path scope like a Leupold Gold Ring.

If you have used the full size Swaro ATX/STX series scopes and the full size Prominar Kowa scopes, you will know what to expect with eye relief, as the little scopes are just like the big ones in that regard.

The mounting foot on the Swaro was not a problem for me, as I used a Peak Design Arca compatible plate which doesn't need much space. I think most hunters will find it suitable.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
T
Great questions.

I did test the eye relief and I found the two scopes to be similar. Swarovski advertises 20mm eye relief, which is pretty long for scopes like these. The Kowa is only advertised as having "generous" eye relief. In practical use they are very similar in eye relief. Not difficult to get a full FOV without glasses, and suitable with glasses, but not anywhere as forgiving as a folded light path scope like a Leupold Gold Ring.

If you have used the full size Swaro ATX/STX series scopes and the full size Prominar Kowa scopes, you will know what to expect with eye relief, as the little scopes are just like the big ones in that regard.

The mounting foot on the Swaro was not a problem for me, as I used a Peak Design Arca compatible plate which doesn't need much space. I think most hunters will find it suitable.
Thanks for the detailed response.
I own a kowa 88 and that's what I was wondering. That 20mm on the Swaro sounded good but sounds like they're very similar.
Thanks again!

Can anyone shed some light on whether it’s worth an upgrade from the old kowa 550 to the new kowa 55? I have the older model and have liked it but have nothing to compare it to. I figured I could probably get at least $1000 for my scope but it’s hard for me to imagine spending $1400 out of pocket for the newer model would really be worth the upgrade. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Can anyone shed some light on whether it’s worth an upgrade from the old kowa 550 to the new kowa 55? I have the older model and have liked it but have nothing to compare it to. I figured I could probably get at least $1000 for my scope but it’s hard for me to imagine spending $1400 out of pocket for the newer model would really be worth the upgrade. Any feedback would be appreciated!
I would call Rob at S and S archery. He has looked through both and can work with you on the price.

tracker12

WKR
Is anyone renting out these two spotters. Would love to try before I buy

Last edited:
@Matt Cashell if your mostly backpack hunting and already own a kowa 77 would you sell and get the new 55 to save the 1.5lbs of weight? seems like only downside is giving up the extra zoom 50 - 60x. As long as the new 55 is clear all way out to 40x that is good enough for me. I do not find much difference now when I put my spotter on 40x or 50x.