New hunter needing advice.

AJB66

FNG
Hi all.
Looking for advice from experienced bow hunters.
My mates and I go on an annual boar hunt in Northern NSW. All rifles of course.
But I'm becoming bored since we are now using night vision to shoot pigs. Kind of boring to be honest.
So I have been looking at Bow hunting, but I am a total newbie.
From what I have read, I think a compound bow would suit me better than a recurve for one simple reason - I am a 58 year old with arthritis, so I just don't have the strength I used to. I understand a compound bow is not a beginners bow, but that is why I am here.
Any suggestions for a first time bow hunter looking for a compound bow?
Recommendations for brand / type of bow? Arrow heads for boar hunting? Any other equipment needed?
Thank you

Both can be an effective hunting weapon, but the learning curve is much shorter for a compound bow than a recurve and a compound generates much more projectile energy, which gives you a flatter trajectory and greater effective range.

If possible, I would advise you to visit a reputable bow shop, have them measure your draw length and figure out how much weight you can comfortably draw, then test drive as many makes/models as you can. In the US, most locales have at least one bow shop within an hour's drive. I assume you live in Australia...do you have any bow shops close by?

Bump79

WKR
There's quite a few good companies in AU for broadheads. I'd probably check out Kayuga or Terra Firma.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Give the ranch fairy a look on YouTube. You can email him as well he will get back to you pretty fast as well.. but he is not the guy to get you shooting a bow he is more about arrows. As above seek a good shop and have them measure you and fit you to a bow and shoot as many bows as you can see which you like the best at whatever poundage you can pull. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: Zac

BKM

FNG
If you can get some good instruction get it and don’t over bow yourself. 50lbs will kill everything and be easy to work on form